Va High vs Union

chubzfan

Va High takes this one over Union by 4.  I must say that Va High is the most talented team in the area and Ive stated it before but they have got to have the worst coach Ive ever seen.  The guy is absolutely the worse basketball mind around.  They have way to many ball players with talent for teams in this area to compete with.  I don't know the kids name, but number 22 can flat out shoot the ball but for some reason the mastermind coach they have will not utilize him.  Hats off to a hard fought battle from Union, Barnett and Mitchell were impressive.  Tourney should be fun.

Union will now likely drop all the way to the four seed and be on the VHS side of the bracket, meaning that theres no way to reach the Finals without beating them.

If we were on opposite sides, we could avoid VHS until the final and if they had made the tourney final, we would have gotten an auto-bid if Union won their side of the bracket.

But now, we will have to beat the best team in the conference for a chance at winning the tournament.

Hats off to VHS, they are a great team and super talented. Union had their chances, its not like they were blown out, but with Noaks not getting a bucket its hard for Union to win no matter how much Barnett dominates.

Virginia High is clearly the best team in C40 this year, congrats on your automatic bid to the big tourney.

And apparently, Mike Goforth has basically assured that even if we beat Lebanon tomorrow, he is going to count the tournament game against Lebanon as a conference game as a tiebreaker and that will put Union in the 4th spot. I dont believe thats fair at all, we didnt get to count our win over VHS as a conference game and had to take TWO losses because we only got one counting game against them. If we beat Lebanon tomorrow, Union and Leb would be tied for 3rd, but even if that happens, Union has already basically conceded the 3rd seed.

Its ridiculous, I dont know if the conference pushed him into it or what, but for our AD to roll over and allow that to happen when no one gets to count those tournament games as conference games. 

But VHS is awesome, they are a great team.

Union will now likely drop all the way to the four seed and be on the VHS side of the bracket, meaning that theres no way to reach the Finals without beating them.

If we were on opposite sides, we could avoid VHS until the final and if they had made the tourney final, we would have gotten an auto-bid if Union won their side of the bracket.

But now, we will have to beat the best team in the conference for a chance at winning the tournament.

Hats off to VHS, they are a great team and super talented. Union had their chances, its not like they were blown out, but with Noaks not getting a bucket its hard for Union to win no matter how much Barnett dominates.

Virginia High is clearly the best team in C40 this year, congrats on your automatic bid to the big tourney.

And apparently, Mike Goforth has basically assured that even if we beat Lebanon tomorrow, he is going to count the tournament game against Lebanon as a conference game as a tiebreaker and that will put Union in the 4th spot. I dont believe thats fair at all, we didnt get to count our win over VHS as a conference game and had to take TWO losses because we only got one counting game against them. If we beat Lebanon tomorrow, Union and Leb would be tied for 3rd, but even if that happens, Union has already basically conceded the 3rd seed.

Its ridiculous, I dont know if the conference pushed him into it or what, but for our AD to roll over and allow that to happen when no one gets to count those tournament games as conference games. 

But VHS is awesome, they are a great team.

It is not going to be counted as a conference game, but rather as a tiebreaker.  If two teams have the same conference record, then head to head would be the first tiebreaker...not sure what is unfair about that.

But head to head would be split in conference, one apiece. That was a tournament that had nothing to do with conference play whatsoever.

I guess it makes a little sense as they will have played three times, but I assumed it would have to be figured out in conference rather than resorting to out of conference games.

But head to head would be split in conference, one apiece. That was a tournament that had nothing to do with conference play whatsoever.

I guess it makes a little sense as they will have played three times, but I assumed it would have to be figured out in conference rather than resorting to out of conference games.

Overall head to head is the tiebreaker...clearly stated in the by-laws.  Last year, Lebanon and VHS had the same conference record and split in conference games, but Lebanon was the three seed based on their loss to VHS in the Alpha Classic Championship while VHS was the 2 seed.  

I do not think there is a whole of difference between VHS, Gate City, Union and Lebanon.  Come playoff time, coaching becomes more important.  VHS has some talent, as do the other aforementioned teams, but they may be at the bottom of the pecking order in the coaching category.  I hope Reed proves me wrong.

I agree with the coaching aspect, with the talent at his disposal, Reed should have blown away a down C40 this year. Scotty V has proven he is a great coach, Lebanon's coach has done a phenomenal job this year, and I like Zack Moore a lot. 

If it comes down to coaching, GC has the edge over everyone IMO because Vermillion has been in huge games before at the state level and always has his team playing together and fast.

I do not think there is a whole of difference between VHS, Gate City, Union and Lebanon.  Come playoff time, coaching becomes more important.  VHS has some talent, as do the other aforementioned teams, but they may be at the bottom of the pecking order in the coaching category.  I hope Reed proves me wrong.

I miss Wayne Rasnick, but Barry's not that bad

Are the tiebreaker rules posted anywhere? Didn't see the game but Va high isl loaded. They are our only shot to beat Martinsville-Dan River.

I would say Graham is our best hope at beating MHS/DR

No more calls...

But if Graham has one of their "off nights" they seem to have every 6 games, it'll spell an early exit.  The Bluefield games come to mind, as well as that Fort Chiswell shocker.

This is how I see it...

Graham struggled with Galax...got off to a really slow start on Senior Night.  They play Galax again tomorrow night at Galax, weather permitting.

If Graham plays like they can, and takes care of business in somewhat "easy" fashion (15 points or so) at Galax, I think the G-Men will make a decent run in the post-season.

However, if Graham goes to Galax and struggles again and either wins a close one, again, or loses, I don't see the G-Men going more than a game or two in the post-season, once out of Conference play.

Reed was the girls coach when I was in school and I thought he was a pretty good coach always had tough teams to beat. I don't think it's the coach I think they are way overrated ( on this board ). I know records really don't mean anything this time of year because a 0 loss team can have one bad game and be sitting at home but the Bearcats have lost 6 games the coach does not blow 6 games. IMO.

Overrated?  Maybe. I think most everyone who has posted here acknowledges that there are 4 teams with a chance to go far...VHS being one of them.  Very few teams go undefeated.  VHS lost 6 games so far this year.  I would not really call any of them "bad" losses either.  Maybe they do not lose a couple of those early season tournament games with a different coach.  Maybe they lose more.  Regardless, VHS has had a nice season.  I hope they end up having a great one. 

By the way, what kind of young baseball talent is coming along in Honaker?  We might need a player or two next season. 

I wasn't trying to diminish the year they have had. They have had a great year and will hopefully make a deep run I'm swva all the way will be rooting for all local teams. I was actually just trying to take up for reed a little bit I don't think he is as bad a coach as people on here say.

As for baseball... There is more on the way. But heck I'm sure Daniels has a notebook on all of the talent we have. We will continue to win with "ours" and I guess va high will win with "ours" too. Hey did Daniels send coach harding a state ring? Because he deserved one!

I am glad there is at least another poster with a sense of humor!  You probably already know this but I was referring to 2A only when mentioning 4 teams from the area with a chance to advance deep in the playoffs.  Honaker has a very, very good team. 

I will say this about the 2014 Bearcat baseball team, they would have won the state with or without the transfer.  He certainly made it easier though.  I will send your coach a picture of the 1981 and 1983 championship rings of the Bearcats (I want to keep the real thing so a picture will have to do). 

Yea I knew what you meant about the basketball. Hopefully swva can have a good showing.

Yea I watched the championship game unfortunately after we had just lost in the 1A championship and va high was very impressive that was a dream team no doubt it without kiser. As for the ring he got one in 2011 and I'd say if he becomes the all time wins leader in va he will after this year. That is pure speculation because his health is so bad.

Big Winners you got a state champ as your ad and you crying? You wouldn't recognize greatness if it slapped you across the face.

If he rolled over and just let the conference bully him into just taking the 4th seed, then I am not impressed.

Greatness slaps me across the face every night, yo mamma's glorious boobies :P

VA Preps has Honaker 3rd in 1A, behind Altavista (go figure) and Radford, Wythe is right behind them. MaxPreps has Wythe at 8th.

Tigers should make the Final 4, how good are their chances to shock the world in Richmond? 

This is my opinion on things. Honaker lives and dies by there full court press. they have shot the 3 extremely well all year long. They have two of the more skilled big guys that I have seen in this area. The tigers only go 8 deep so staying healthy and in shape is critical. When they run up against someone that can handle the press and force them into a half court game that is where they will have to adjust. I think we have a pretty good shot at an upset in Richmond. BUT we have to get there first.

Honaker is a very good team, but they haven't faced any competition since the Alpha Classic-I wonder how that will affect them if they have a close game in regionals.  Robinette is unguardable with single coverage, but Honaker often forgets about him on offense and falls in love with quick shots.  That works around here because Robinette and Harmon gobble up offensive rebounds, but against a team with some legitimate size those rebounds may not come as easily.  

I will be curious to watch if they play Eastside in regionals-I think the Spartans present some unique matchup problems in that all five of their players can shoot and handle the ball, and they are well coached and will not give the ball away against Honaker's press.  

I agree with you about the competition. But what do you do? I would love to see them play tougher competition but you have to pay who is scheduled. In case someone didn't know 1a west is LOADED!!!! Radford Honaker George Wythe Eastside Galax Haysi all have very good teams. It will be exciting to see who survives the region tournament.