Winter storm threat (2/15-17)

I had my audition into the music department at VT today and I didn't beat the storm out. Already a good 3-4 inches up here and it's slick. Also, the wind is so strong that you can't see 10 feet in front of you. 

Good thing my best friend is a student here so I have a place to crash.

Buchanan and Dickenson counties were pretty bad this evening. I had at least 3.5 probably 4 inches and we werent even under a winter weather advisory. Doenst seem like the NWS really has a handle on any of these storms, so its a little hard to trust more that half of what they say. With that out of the way, it does look like that most of the region does stand a decent shot of some moderate to heavy snow totals monday-wed. But the models have been terrible all year, might be one of those storms that they dont nail a forecast until about 24 or so hours out. Bears watching at least.

I think it all depends on the freezing line.

If it moves north, I think we see a threat of ice changing over to snow has the freezing line moves south.

If it stays south, I think we have a chance of our most significant snow of the season.

WVVA is now giving this region 10-14". But it's also WVVA....so.......what are the Euro models saying now? lol

Pretty much same thing. most of the models are pretty consistent right now in spitting out 8-14 inches for most of our region. and going to be well below zero wed night and thursday might.

Roads are getting kind of nasty here in Bristol between Exits 5 and 7 and the Washington County area surrounding it. Slick, nasty snow on Lee Highway and roads are completely covered by a couple of inches on my road just off Wallace Pike.

Unless you must get out in Tazewell County, don't.

I had to, with a very sick child. Snow 2 inches deep on 460, and VDOT can't keep up. Also, no shortage of idiots in Suburbans and Expeditions going 55 MPH+ 2 inches from your door.

Funny how bad weather seems to bring out the worst drivers. I had a car right on my bumper on Lee Highway today for a few miles. The road didn't look too bad at first sight, but really was slick and if I would have hit my brakes for any reason that idiot would've plowed right into me. Also seeing lots of cars out on the road with no headlights on with the snow coming down makes me nervous.

Measured 4 inches of snow on my front porch late last night and it looks like there's more this morning. My road is packed with snow and I just called in to work (VDOT rarely scrapes/salts my road for some reason even when people here try to call and ask them to). Guess I'll just have myself a good old fashioned snow day today and build some snowmen with my niece and nephew, lol.

Got close to a foot at my house.  Looks like the City has scraped my street but I've got about 100 feet of driveway that needs to be cleared before I can get my car to the road.  Definitely going to be on "late schedule" today...