Finally! It's baseball season

Fort Chiswell run-ruled Graham again yesterday.  Not sure what the score was 13-2, 13-3, 11-0...it was one of those don't remember which.   At this point, does it really matter???

Has it really mattered since the early 90s?  Graham's had 2 winning seasons in 23 years, IIRC.  As good as the Bluefield Little League has been at times, it's downright unbelievable that the high school kids are so much worse than their peers.

Graham dropped a double header to Galax Tuesday and then got thumped by Narrows Wed 16-2.

Are they seriously that bad?  Are they not giving any effort?  Does anyone care?  Seriously???

We used to lose most of the time, back in the day, but at least we tried to put up a fight.  I can only remember getting 10-run ruled once during my days and that was against Richlands, first game of the season my senior year, we got no-hit, and lost 15-0....lost 2-1 to them at Richlands later that season, against the same pitcher that no-hit us, and would have won that game had it not been for a 2-run error in the bottom of the 7th.

With the scores I've seen this year, there has to be some issue other than lack of talent...right???  Or am I just way off base with that thought?

Are they seriously that bad?  Are they not giving any effort?  Does anyone care?  Seriously???

We used to lose most of the time, back in the day, but at least we tried to put up a fight.  I can only remember getting 10-run ruled once during my days and that was against Richlands, first game of the season my senior year, we got no-hit, and lost 15-0....lost 2-1 to them at Richlands later that season, against the same pitcher that no-hit us, and would have won that game had it not been for a 2-run error in the bottom of the 7th.

With the scores I've seen this year, there has to be some issue other than lack of talent...right???  Or am I just way off base with that thought?

To answer your questions: Yes they are that bad. They give an effort until the first error is made. Players care, coaches do not. 

Nothing goes on in the off season to get better...Their coach is more involved in other sports/activities and doesn't appear to be committed to baseball like most baseball coaches are. Too many of the kids just do not know how the game is played. Graham looks like they are playing wiffle ball in the back yard. Coaches either aren't teaching them fundamentals and how to play, or the players just don't do it come game time. Either way it's bad. There is talent out there...just not being used correctly IMO.

To answer your questions: Yes they are that bad. They give an effort until the first error is made. Players care, coaches do not. 

Nothing goes on in the off season to get better...Their coach is more involved in other sports/activities and doesn't appear to be committed to baseball like most baseball coaches are. Too many of the kids just do not know how the game is played. Graham looks like they are playing wiffle ball in the back yard. Coaches either aren't teaching them fundamentals and how to play, or the players just don't do it come game time. Either way it's bad. There is talent out there...just not being used correctly IMO.

That sucks!  I know with the kids coming up in the middle school program, Graham is going to have some talent in the next few years...OK, maybe not necessarily "talent", per se, but more experienced kids coming into the program which is more than they've had in like, forever. 

Sounds like the only thing that will make Graham High School baseball better is having a coach who is willing to spend some time to help these kids get better, not only during the season but in the off-season, too...someone who will take time to teach the fundamentals of fielding, throwing, catching and hitting, someone who will teach them how the game should be played from a strategical standpoint, someone to teach  them nuances of the game and the magic of the curve and the knuckleball. 

The kids coming up in the program seem to want to play the game the way it should be played. 

If I only had more time...

That sucks!  I know with the kids coming up in the middle school program, Graham is going to have some talent in the next few years...OK, maybe not necessarily "talent", per se, but more experienced kids coming into the program which is more than they've had in like, forever. 

Sounds like the only thing that will make Graham High School baseball better is having a coach who is willing to spend some time to help these kids get better, not only during the season but in the off-season, too...someone who will take time to teach the fundamentals of fielding, throwing, catching and hitting, someone who will teach them how the game should be played from a strategical standpoint, someone to teach  them nuances of the game and the magic of the curve and the knuckleball. 

The kids coming up in the program seem to want to play the game the way it should be played. 

If I only had more time...

The GMS program is a start, and it helps significantly bridge the largest gap I see with Bluefield's player development, which is the 7th-8th grade abyss that we players used to fall into.  That team has some players: probably not players who will compete for AA titles, but players who could make Graham at least respectable, which would be an exponential improvement.

There is hope.

Speaking of "back in the day"...

We weren't good, but we used to have pitchers who were competitive with pretty much every team in the area.  If we had the right pitcher on the mound, we would lose games like 3-1, 4-3, etc.  Offense was badly lacking.  I remember losing a 1-0 1-hit game to Grayson County in the Coppinger, where the one hit was a Grayson County HR that literally bounced off the top of the fence out of Bowen Field.  We ended up getting forever-more jobbed in a game against Tazewell in Tazewell that same year.  

Nothing will change at Graham until they get a coach who can put in the time to do more in the off season...lost again to Narrows 13-11.

Narz musta let the JV play...

Heh, from Clintwood's rschool schedule....

04-29-15     Jenkins     Home          10  -  7  W   called in 6th due opponents fighting amongst themselves.

http://www.cumberlanddistrictva.org/g5-bin/client.cgi?G5genie=367&cwellOnly=1&school_id=178&G5button=876&G5button=876&name_8_1_21_72=Spring%202015%20%20Varsity%20Baseball