Rowdy Rebels VS. The Mighty Maroons

Mr. RealTalk

I have seen PH play, albeit last season when they met Galax in the 1A west playoffs.  Humphrey is a terrific high school football player.  He is not close to being a D1 athlete.  In no way is that intended to be a slight on the young man.  There are a lot of terrific high school football players that many on this board can recall with fondness who could never play at the D1 level.  

In that game last season, Galax standout Joseph Dixon lit PH up for 267 yards on 12 carries.  

Let that sink in for a second and remember, Dixon isn't playing collegiate football anywhere!  

Redtiger and GWLoyal can attest, players like Trey Skeens and Steven Peoples come along once a lifetime for the average school at the 1A level.

The chasm that exists between a Division 2 football player at UVA Wise and  Division 1 football player at Virginia Tech is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

I wasn't going to say much but I have to say this.  We have one of the best backs in SWVA.  He is averaging well over 200 yards a game.  He told me after the Marion game that his goal was to get 2000 yards this year.  He is on pace to do that. Thats his personal goal.  He wants to win a state title more. These boys are a close brotherhood.  But the Rebels have more than one weapon.    Expect Palmer to put the team in situations to be successful tonight.  The QB can run and throw.  We may just put the ball in the air tonight. May even open up the offense a bit.  But we will tighten down when its time and Dakota will show why he is the best.  He is the best I've ever seen.   I look for the Rebels to turn heads tonight.  I told our boys this one is big.  Go Rebels

This Rebel team is the best team since 91. They have it all, solid line, solid skill players and solid coaching. Everyone is counting the rebels out but this isn't the George Wythe that won state. This is a weak George Wythe. I have seen them play and it's very one dimensional. They have a hard time throwing the ball. This Rebel team will surprise the masses tomorrow night. They will hit anyone that is in their way. You could put Gate City or Richlands across them and it's going to a physical match up.

You must also be forgetting the PH team of 1997. Went 10-0 in the regular season, and had a real shot at bringing home a title until injuries took their toll. They took down a great Rural Retreat team TWICE, the regular season game was a dogfight until PH pulled away late in the 4th. The Rebels suffered several key injuries in the final game of the regular season at Coeburn. In round 1 of the playoffs, The Rebels met the Indians again, This time the Rebels dominated even with the injuries and came out with a 17-0 win. However, the next week in the Region C championship against Radford, those injuries, along with a few more that occurred during the game, had the Rebels trying to fill positions with whoever they could. I know for a fact that they were playing a 4th string punter at the end of the game. Nonetheless, they held their own with the Bobcats, coming out with a 20-7 loss.

The Rebs, at the beginning of that year, had went over to Powell Valley for a preseason scrimmage. The Rebs DOMINATED the Vikings that day. Yes, The same Vikings that had running back Julius Jones and won state that year. PV coach Phil Robbins has even admitted to this loss in the BHC a few years ago when he was retiring. The playoff matchup, had it have happened, would have been very interesting if the Rebels were fully healthy.

Anyway, I can't speak for this year's team. I have not seen them play, because I have moved out of the area. I did see them last year, and the Humphreys kid does have some potential, but I don't know about D1. He still has the rest of this season and 1 more left, so time will tell.

You must also be forgetting the PH team of 1997. Went 10-0 in the regular season, and had a real shot at bringing home a title until injuries took their toll. They took down a great Rural Retreat team TWICE, the regular season game was a dogfight until PH pulled away late in the 4th. The Rebels suffered several key injuries in the final game of the regular season at Coeburn. In round 1 of the playoffs, The Rebels met the Indians again, This time the Rebels dominated even with the injuries and came out with a 17-0 win. However, the next week in the Region C championship against Radford, those injuries, along with a few more that occurred during the game, had the Rebels trying to fill positions with whoever they could. I know for a fact that they were playing a 4th string punter at the end of the game. Nonetheless, they held their own with the Bobcats, coming out with a 20-7 loss.

The Rebs, at the beginning of that year, had went over to Powell Valley for a preseason scrimmage. The Rebs DOMINATED the Vikings that day. Yes, The same Vikings that had running back Julius Jones and won state that year. PV coach Phil Robbins has even admitted to this loss in the BHC a few years ago when he was retiring. The playoff matchup, had it have happened, would have been very interesting if the Rebels were fully healthy.

Anyway, I can't speak for this year's team. I have not seen them play, because I have moved out of the area. I did see them last year, and the Humphreys kid does have some potential, but I don't know about D1. He still has the rest of this season and 1 more left, so time will tell.

That team crossed my mind as well. Who was the running back along with Eskridge on that team? The name is drawing a total blank, but he was small, shifty, and really fun to watch.

Eskridge was a total hoss!

That team crossed my mind as well. Who was the running back along with Eskridge on that team? The name is drawing a total blank, but he was small, shifty, and really fun to watch.

Eskridge was a total hoss!

I think his name is Jason Boswell.

Delusional? Please! If you didn't poach kids from us we would have played Dixie nonstop! Don't worry Falcons. Palmer is going to stop that. You won't steal anymore of our players

I was going to fire back with a sharp little quip but I have thought better and realize I should adhere to the old saying "If you can't say anything nice, dont say anything at all"

But, I will ask this. NAME 'EM, Thats right Name 'EM, Name the players AHS POACHED from PH. 

I was going to fire back with a sharp little quip but I have thought better and realize I should adhere to the old saying "If you can't say anything nice, dont say anything at all"

But, I will ask this. NAME 'EM, Thats right Name 'EM, Name the players AHS POACHED from PH. 

Yeah I would like to know too....

That's exactly it...Thank you! I couldn't remember it for the life of me

I'm pretty sure he was a Soph. my Sr. year.  I knew or still know most of the guys that played for PH in the mid 90's, there were several times I was asked to move in with my oldest sister that lives in Glade so I could play for PH.

The jury is still out on how good this PH team. They will have to win at least one playoff game to even be considered better than last years team much less the best since whenever. Watch out in 2016 because their qb will be better with more experience, their rb will be a senior and an absolute beast, and their young line will be better

The band is already tuning up the flutes, the trumpets, and the drums to play some Dixie tonight. The Rebels are READY! Palmer is tuning up the pregame speech. Dakota stretching out his money makers. Its pregame in Dixie Town! It's time to shock the state that Patrick Henry is a force! Force that I do not think the Maroons are ready for.

Put simply, GW wins this one by a lot. Nothing against PH, but GW is just too big and physical. No one in the Hogo will stay within two scores of them this year.

I'll gladly eat crow on this one. Outstanding effort, Rebs! I really didn't expect this one to be a close game, but PH proved that win or lose, they can hang in there with the best of them. Good job, guys.

Im surprised by the PH score, impressive to hang with GW.

Now if a certain person hadnt puffed them up to being the '95 Cowboys everyone would be talking about how good they are and how they could be a dark horse.

Best of luck to PH going forward.  

Dixie played boys! The final score didn't show the beating we laid on the Maroons! We were physical and they couldn't match our intensity. I hope we see them in play offs.

When did Falconboy move to Glade Springs???

That was a game.  As good as I've seen the Rebels play since last year at Clintwood.  The Rebels were not going down without a fight.  We had a lot of fight in us.  Proud to see that. We didn't have that in the Holston game.  Cavdaddy is sour because this group has beat his Cavs all the way through little Rebel - middle school - varsity.  We cant let up these next two weeks.  Have to keep mashing the gas pedal and keep it going.  Go Rebels.