Glevar @ Union

BigWinners

Akshun, being a fan of Giles I have nothing but the upmost respect for the Glenvar program. What you all have accomplished the past 2 seasons is nothing short of amazing. Being that close to Salem it must be hard getting recognition but you all definitely have it now. I know yall will be losing most of your key players this year but it looks like yall have some good talent coming up from Jv. Hopefully Glenvar will continue to be Giles' biggest rival!

Akshun, being a fan of Giles I have nothing but the upmost respect for the Glenvar program. What you all have accomplished the past 2 seasons is nothing short of amazing. Being that close to Salem it must be hard getting recognition but you all definitely have it now. I know yall will be losing most of your key players this year but it looks like yall have some good talent coming up from Jv. Hopefully Glenvar will continue to be Giles' biggest rival!

Thanks! I think the Giles/Glenvar rivalry is good for our conference and high school football. To have multiple state champions from the 3 rivers district is impressive. Coach Clifford has been on record a number of times saying how he wants to have a football program like Giles.

Thanks! I think the Giles/Glenvar rivalry is good for our conference and high school football. To have multiple state champions from the 3 rivers district is impressive. Coach Clifford has been on record a number of times saying how he wants to have a football program like Giles.

I love seeing Giles do good, but I also like seeing other teams that Giles plays do good too, especially in the TRD. It just makes the games much more exciting. I know that it's tough for yall being probably the only 2A school in the Roanoke/Salem area.

Question. How did Union compare to Glenvar size wise?

Glenvar was definitely bigger. They just faced the same problems others have this year in that Union can get the ball and score on two or three consecutive possessions and if you have to punt you get in a hole you can't get out of.

I've been to two games this year where I thought Union was the inferior team and won, yesterday and Richlands. Coach Turner was the difference in both, his play calling yesterday was incredible and the decision to call timeout after seeing Glenvar's alignment on the two point try was crucial.

I for one hope Turner keeps pushing the right buttons for two more weeks.

Glenvar was definitely bigger. They just faced the same problems others have this year in that Union can get the ball and score on two or three consecutive possessions and if you have to punt you get in a hole you can't get out of.

I've been to two games this year where I thought Union was the inferior team and won, yesterday and Richlands. Coach Turner was the difference in both, his play calling yesterday was incredible and the decision to call timeout after seeing Glenvar's alignment on the two point try was crucial.

I for one hope Turner keeps pushing the right buttons for two more weeks.

Glenvar line averages 244.4. Union line averaged 231 until #52 got hurt and they brought in #59. Union line then averaged 244. Glenvar D line is bigger than Union's.

Union had more first downs, more yardage, better kicking, more tackles for loss, more sacks, better completion %, fewer punts, double the touchdowns than anyone else put up on them this year, and more points on the board. Not too bad for an "inferior" team. ;)

They won by a single point on a day when I saw the best performance by a small level high school quarterback in my life. Turner never had a day like that against that competition, neither did Robbins or Spivey, etc.

I tip my hat to Union they aren't rattled by any situation and they've been fortunate to play each of their big games at home.

The test will be if they can take the act on the road. I'm rooting for them.

They won by a single point on a day when I saw the best performance by a small level high school quarterback in my life. Turner never had a day like that against that competition, neither did Robbins or Spivey, etc.

I tip my hat to Union they aren't rattled by any situation and they've been fortunate to play each of their big games at home.

They did win by a single point, but 1 is just as good as 1000. I also know that sometimes the scoreboard favors one team and the stats favor the other. However, when the scoreboard AND the stats favor the same team, I just don't know how you can say the other team was better.

And Bryce has been pretty darn accurate all year. Definitely, hasn't run that many times in a single game, but he's been an AWESOME QB this year. Very proud of him.

I realize Glenvar had a great team. They had the best D in 2A coming into the game. With that being said Union's D stats were better than theirs. Glenvar had the best front 4 I've seen all year, but I would have to say that Richlands had the best overall D.

It's all good though. Appreciate your support, and like you said the test will be a 6 hour drive up 81.

I thought the call by Turner on 3rd & 5 took major cajones. Conventional wisdom says to run a safe play, punt and make them drive a long way if you don't make it. I'd guess 99% of coaches wouldn't have risked putting the football in the air. Hats off to Spears and (was it Noaks?) to the WR for executing it. 

I thought the call by Turner on 3rd & 5 took major cajones. Conventional wisdom says to run a safe play, punt and make them drive a long way if you don't make it. I'd guess 99% of coaches wouldn't have risked putting the football in the air. Hats off to Spears and (was it Noaks?) to the WR for executing it. 

Noaks, yes

like i stated earlier, the scoreboard made it look alot closer than the game really was. we should have been up 28-7 or 31-7 at half. they didn't put the ball in the air before half time and conserved. we knew what was working and was pretty much passing at will. stats show that. it's the 2 errors on the deep routes that kept glenvar in it

had glenvar converted the 2 point conversion, i believe we still had enough time to get into field goal range (but thankfully we didn't need that). We've seen simon kick from 40+ this year

like i stated earlier, the scoreboard made it look alot closer than the game really was. we should have been up 28-7 or 31-7 at half. they didn't put the ball in the air before half time and conserved. we knew what was working and was pretty much passing at will. stats show that. it's the 2 errors on the deep routes that kept glenvar in it

I hope they clean that up before next week. Same thing happened at Central and Letcher. I saw at least 2 plays that a Glenvar receiver was 10 yards down the field with nobody near him. One was a pivotal 1st down, the other a touchdown. And that long pass down the Glenvar sideline could have easily been picked off if the DB had been paying attention. DBs need to understand their duty is to the pass first and run second.

Had he made that call on the previous drive, the Glenvar touchdown would have never happened, but everything worked out great regardless.

I agree that Union layed down before halftime. They had all the momentum and should have pushed in another score but chose to be complacent and had the 2 breakdowns on the long passes in the second half. Its not time to feel sorry for the opposition at this point. Pour it on for 4 quarters. And as for going on the road. Union fans and players get better and rowdier on the road!! ROADTRIP

Looking on Google Earth at Clarke Co's visitors stands, the Union folks might want to bring some lawn chairs, 

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1606418,-78.0007127,99m/data=!3m1!1e3

How did they fit all of them in to Wise Central's visiting stands?  Lol.

My claustrophobia kicked in when Ridgeview played them there.

How did they fit all of them in to Wise Central's visiting stands?  Lol.

My claustrophobia kicked in when Ridgeview played them there.

Just like Ridgeview, we didn't! Bleachers were full by 6. LOTS of people had to stand at the fence. 

Neat to see Manns' dad on here, he raised one helluva ballplayer. If he had gotten the ball on the 2pt try, not sure we stop him. Not sure why Glenvar decided to run the QB when Manns had been almost unstoppable, especially just lacking two yards. I'm not sure Union stopped him for less than two yards more than once or twice the entire game, a testament to Glenvar's offensive line and his toughness, vision and agility. Damn fine runner.

I was not a huge fan of calling the time out when Glenvar lined up for the 2pt conversion, if they get it that's a timeout gone and Union has to score with a minute and change on the clock and one time out. Simon is a very good HS kicker, but that is a lot of pressure on him and he already missed one PAT. But glad it never came to that, huge stand by the Union D and great playcall by Turner to put the ball in the air, convert and win the game.

Spears had an incredible day, but its not the best QB play I've ever saw. I saw Robbins throw for 500+ yards at Clintwood his senior year, just ate the defense alive, and Robbins did not have the amount of weapons Spears has at his disposable.

Union did the right thing by attacking the edges and letting the athletes work in space. Glenvar has the best front line Union has played all year, running the ball was damn near impossible but those little bubble screens are just long handoffs and it allowed Union to make plays with their athletes against the weaker area of the Highlanders. I don't think there's any doubt Glenvar has the best defense Union has played all year, not even Richlands was able to contain the offense to 28 points, only Central did thanks to the red zone woes but that was more Union stopping Union than Wise stopping Union.

Neat to see Manns' dad on here, he raised one helluva ballplayer. If he had gotten the ball on the 2pt try, not sure we stop him. Not sure why Glenvar decided to run the QB when Manns had been almost unstoppable, especially just lacking two yards. I'm not sure Union stopped him for less than two yards more than once or twice the entire game, a testament to Glenvar's offensive line and his toughness, vision and agility. Damn fine runner.

I was not a huge fan of calling the time out when Glenvar lined up for the 2pt conversion, if they get it that's a timeout gone and Union has to score with a minute and change on the clock and one time out. Simon is a very good HS kicker, but that is a lot of pressure on him and he already missed one PAT. But glad it never came to that, huge stand by the Union D and great playcall by Turner to put the ball in the air, convert and win the game.

Spears had an incredible day, but its not the best QB play I've ever saw. I saw Robbins throw for 500+ yards at Clintwood his senior year, just ate the defense alive, and Robbins did not have the amount of weapons Spears has at his disposable.

Union did the right thing by attacking the edges and letting the athletes work in space. Glenvar has the best front line Union has played all year, running the ball was damn near impossible but those little bubble screens are just long handoffs and it allowed Union to make plays with their athletes against the weaker area of the Highlanders. I don't think there's any doubt Glenvar has the best defense Union has played all year, not even Richlands was able to contain the offense to 28 points, only Central did thanks to the red zone woes but that was more Union stopping Union than Wise stopping Union.

Thank you.. We may keep my son in SWVA. Possibility he may play at UVA-Wise.

We would very much welcome him. Maybe with a new head coach coming in at Wise, he would be utilized to the best of his abilities as well. :-)

I didnt know UVA-Wise were in search of a new coach. I know several lineman at Glenvar are also considered UVA-Wise.

I didnt know UVA-Wise were in search of a new coach. I know several lineman at Glenvar are also considered UVA-Wise.

About four years too late, but yes, Lusk finally resigned after another embarrassing season.  They can't possibly be any worse than they were under his tenure there.