Ridgeview @ Gate City

Leatherhead Larry

Ridgeview comes to GC tonight in a super

Girls: I look for GC to put the 2nd loss on RV this season. RV's lone loss is to Wise Central back before Christmas. A Wise Central team, GC was able to defeat at the buzzer without Jordan Houseright and Kaely Gose going down in the first half. GC wins it at the charity stripe late.

GC 48

RV 46

Boys:

RV took Union into OT and let Battle squeek by on back to back nights. RV is anxious to make their existence known the the CMC but they'll have to wait until after tonight. RV suffers their 3rd loss in row. Though It'll be the biggest test in conference for GC so far. GC has broke the 80 point mark 3 games in a row. GC proves themselves tonight setting up for a dandy vs Union Friday night.

GC 84

RV 71

We're gonna have to back all that up a day now thanks to the snow. This is going to bring up a big four day stretch for GC, with games vs Ridgeview, @ Union, and @ TN High. 

The snow that never came you mean?  Lol... The knee jerk reaction of high schools these days...

Would've been better to have this last night as I have an all day task at work to complete and am hoping it's finished in time for me to get there.

The girls game is what I am looking forward to seeing.  The Central loss was way too early in the season to base any judgment off of... thankfully it was a non conference game.  We also played Union in that tournament and struggled there also, but beat them much more soundly this past weekend.

The boys game should be all Gate City.  It would take probably a 40+ point night for Hunter Sutherland to even have a shot I believe.

Friday night should produce the game of the night in Southwest Virginia. We are producing a great cycle of athletes in our two communities.

We proved to be great competitors in our first Arbys Classic against the team who won it all.

Gate City does not have the Herron kid back again. He was their spark.

I am expecting Union to take both games against Gate City this year in the regular season as well as win the JV championship simply because the run of athletes right now coming through our school are THE BEST in Southwest Virginia.

Not taking away anything from Gate City but we have also beat the Tennessee schools Tennessee High (very handily) and Sullivan East.

The best basketball is not being played in Northeast Tennessee this year but Southwest Virginia.

If there were a poll to be taken I feel confident we would be at the top

GC 89

RV 56

The starting 5 for GC started the final period but saw the bench fairly quickly as the backups started to pour in. Much better defense and better ball movement tonight than what I saw against Lee. Less dribbling and much better vision around the bucket....almost too unselfish at times. I feel like the ball coach must have had a "Come to Jesus" meeting with the boys about the lack of defense....plenty of spark tonight.

Nothing against Union... and I know they were picked preseason number 1 in the conference... but that's the best boys team in the conference right there in Scott County and arguably in southwest Virginia.  They're clicking on all cylinders right now.

We're not a bad team and we got dismantled tonight.

They played good team ball tonight..... definitely picked up their defense. They just have breakdowns occasionally where they can't get things going and blow 10-15 point leads. I guess that happens when you have a young team. I truly don't think the devils are anywhere near peaking yet.

I thought Ridgeview had a solid team and had a couple players that could really play. In the first half they eat GC up on the back door cuts...they pulled the GC defense away from the bucket and made it look easy. Was also worried that the big man on the low post would cause issues for GC as GC doesn't really have a true post player.

RiverRat you're exactly right. When GC is playing at the top of their game, I honestly believe they can beat anyone in SWVA and would be a tough out up the road. However, GC has a lot of breakdowns, especially on the defensive end. Still have a ways to go before being ready for tourney time. Tonight was a good showing with noticeable improvement though. 

I was impressed with how much their defense had improved since the game with Lee. If they can stay consistent like they were most of the night tonight and continue to mature on defense and seeing the court...they will be tough at any level of 2A.

Also liked the two slams tonight as well. Not nearly as impressive as the ally oop against Lee but still created a good spark in the crowd and the players nonetheless.

Yeah, I said Hunter would have had to have 40 or more for Ridgeview to even have a shot and he didn't get even close to 20 I don't think... When he's off like he was last night, bad things happen for Ridgeview.

We should finally get that first conference boys victory Friday night against Central... but that's why they play the game...

As far as Ratliff goes (the big guy)... he befuddles me sometimes... he puts up good numbers offensively but it's like his defense and offensive rebounding are terrible.  When you have a guy 6'8", you should never give up one game winning putback, let alone two on back to back nights.  I realize Gavin of Union is a big guy as well... but the photo I saw of that winning shot last week, Ratliff was nowhere in the picture to box out.

Friday night should produce the game of the night in Southwest Virginia. We are producing a great cycle of athletes in our two communities.

We proved to be great competitors in our first Arbys Classic against the team who won it all.

I am expecting Union to take both games against Gate City this year in the regular season as well as win the JV championship simply because the run of athletes right now coming through our school are THE BEST in Southwest Virginia.

Not taking away anything from Gate City but we have also beat the Tennessee schools Tennessee High (very handily) and Sullivan East.

The best basketball is not being played in Northeast Tennessee this year but Southwest Virginia.

After GC crushing Wolfpack last night by nearly 30 and Union only winning by 2 against the Wolfpack I would give the nod to Gate City as the stronger team.. Friday should show us who is the best when they collide.

As far as Ratliff goes (the big guy)... he befuddles me sometimes... he puts up good numbers offensively but it's like his defense and offensive rebounding are terrible. When you have a guy 6'8", you should never give up one game winning putback, let alone two on back to back nights. I realize Gavin of Union is a big guy as well... but the photo I saw of that winning shot last week, Ratliff was nowhere in the picture to box out.

It seemed like he let his emotions get the best of him pretty easily. Once he started playing mad he was all over the place and pretty much out of control. With his size I expected him to make a living in the paint on us. It's still my biggest worry with this GC team....dread seeing a true big man that can post up. GC tends to get careless and in foul trouble real quick sometimes. If that happens against a team with top tier talent it could spell trouble quick.

Good luck with that JV Boys championship. GC defeated Union by 10 at Union tonight. 44-34. I expect the same result in Varsity tomorrow night. Go Blue!

Can't go looking at the transient properties....that's when you'll get your feelings hurt real quick in sports. Union handled THS with ease.....then turned around and was very close to laying an egg against Ridgeview. Not to take away from Ridgeview as I thought they was a solid team, but GC beat them by 33 points. If that is any indication as to what will happen on Friday night.....there shouldn't be any scenario where it bodes well for Union. However, that's not the way it works and I feel it's safe to say it will be a dogfight Friday night between Union and GC. Hope im wrong and I'm hoping the boys don't compare scores of common opponents.

I'll be working graveyard and won't get to make it to the game. Will someone try to keep the score posted on here every 4-5 mins? Would be much appreciated.

GC JV has 6 eighth graders, two freshman and three sophomores? We should defeat them next time. Watched my nephew play last night. It's my guess their record isn't very good. They couldn't hardly score except for some baskets the ref let go. Our JV players have a pretty good future ahead..especially with Mitchell and Slagle and Gibson on our JV this year. That was the only time I had seen GC's JV but if that's what GC has coming up Union should have a shot at the conference for years to come. I would dare say they have played the schedule Unions JV has. We played DB, Daniel Boone and Elizabethton in a tournament in Kingsport. We didn't win any but was in every game. I've seen that GC has played some of those same teams and probably got killed. Especially with that many eighth graders. So yes I look forward to playing them again at Gate City. It should be a win for the BEARS.

Tonight's prediction:

Girls Game: Union 62 GC 41

McKinney - 24 points

Boys Game: Union 76 GC 61

Mitchell - 32 points

Go BEARS!

ITS ALL ABOUT THE U!

Oh man I love this guy.

Should be a couple of good games tonight though. The boys played awful in Big Stone last year before beating Union the next two times. Hopefully GC comes ready tonight, because if they don't they'll leave with a L. The team that loses tonight is definitely not out of the race for the region bid. Not only do GC and Union have to play again, but Ridgeview and JSB have shown the potential to beat anyone.

As for the JV, GC has beaten DB, Boone, East, Sullivsn Central, and South. Lost by 3 in OT @ DB.

What I saw playing last night GC's JV probably played their middle schoolers. Union JV played the real deal. We weren't our best last night and GC got lucky. No luck will be had next time. Just like no luck will be had tonight. All skill being shown by the U at the U tonight. Hope we pack the gym so early nobody from GC gets in. You think it was hostile at Bullitt Park when we got the W. You haven't seen anything yet.