1A and 2A girls basketball in the mountains

LegendatLegion

Wow! The girls down this way have sure played the best basketball for several years now. It never ceases to amaze me how good the quality of girls ball down this way.

Good luck to all and bring 2 more titles home to SWVA

Gate City girls really gave one away this season. Could've at least been in the Qtr Finals. Pretty awesome 2 teams from our conference is in the final four once again. I look for Ridgeview to bring home at State Title in the first year of existence.

Gate City girls really gave one away this season. Could've at least been in the Qtr Finals. Pretty awesome 2 teams from our conference is in the final four once again. I look for Ridgeview to bring home at State Title in the first year of existence.

Hope you're right man.  I think we have the tougher of the two semis though.  Even though we beat Floyd by 12 at Wise, it was a hard fought, close battle.  Wilson Memorial only beat Chatham by 6.  Union beat them by much worse down here.  I think Union beats Wilson Memorial.

Historically speaking, the West is the tougher end of the state in girls basketball game.

Lately, very much so.

"Historically", the VHSL Book of Records disagrees. The history of girls' basketball championships at the A/1A level has been historically a dead split between east and west. In AA/2A, Wise Central is the only team west of Pulaski to EVER win a state title. 2 for eternity is not what I would call "historically tougher"

How cool would it be to have Union and Ridgeview play for the championship? I'm pretty certain Central won it in 2014 and 2015. If Union and Ridgeview rematch, that just means it's coming back to the MD again. Oh the possibilities!

Gate City boys have a good shot capturing the title as long as they can get past Martinsville.

Didn't George Wythe win the AA crown back in 1989?

I missed one, out of 40 some years of play. Sue me. :)

My tired eyes didn't see the "Wythe" designation. There are two such high schools in VA.

Point still remains, the West has been the East's whipping post in girls' basketball historically in AA.