Week 11 CalPreps Predictions

Ryan4VT

We've used them as something to talk about before, so here's what they say the outcomes of this week's games will be.

Twin Valley (Pilgrims Knob, VA) at Hurley (VA), 7:30pm   [projection: Hurley (VA) 55-19]

Walker (Ewing, VA) at Burton (Norton, VA), 7:00pm   [projection: Burton [John I.] (Norton, VA) 48-10]

Twin Springs (Nickelsville, VA) at Rye Cove (Clinchport, VA), 7:00pm   [projection: Twin Springs (Nickelsville, VA) 49-13]

Chilhowie (VA) at Holston (Damascus, VA), 7:00pm   [projection: Chilhowie (VA) 48-8]

Northwood (Saltville, VA) at Henry (Glade Spring, VA), 7:00pm   [projection: Henry [Patrick] (Glade Spring, VA) 48-6]
Wythe (Wytheville, VA) vs. Rural Retreat (VA) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Wythe [George] (Wytheville, VA) 48-17]

Union (Appalachia, VA) at Battle (Bristol, VA), 7:30pm   [projection: Union [Appalachia/Powell Valley] (Appalachia, VA) 44-14]

Fort Chiswell (Max Meadows, VA) at Bland-Rocky Gap (Bland, VA), 7:00pm   [projection: Fort Chiswell (Max Meadows, VA) 38-21]

Grayson County (Independence, VA) at Galax (VA), 7:00pm   [projection: Galax (VA) 50-0]
Narrows (VA) at Graham (Bluefield, VA), 7:00pm   [projection: Graham (Bluefield, VA) 49-20]

Tazewell (VA) at Lebanon (VA), 7:30pm   [projection: Tazewell (VA) 36-35]

Marion (VA) at Abingdon (VA), 7:00pm   [projection: Abingdon (VA) 35-21]

Appomattox County (Appomattox, VA) at Amherst County (Amherst, VA), 7:00pm   [projection: Amherst County (Amherst, VA) 34-27]

Lee (Jonesville, VA) at Virginia (Bristol, VA), 7:30pm   [projection: Lee (Jonesville, VA) 28-22]

Honaker (VA) at Ridgeview (Clintwood, VA), 7:30pm   [projection: Ridgeview (Clintwood, VA) 28-21]

They predict AHS making it to semi's in the west losing to Rustburg by 2. That's if all teams that are supposed to win (by ranking) do. And also, that's if I did it correctly, and it's based on current rankings. I have AHS playing Tunstall in rd 1 and then Lord Botetourt rd 2 and then Rustburg in rd 3.

AHS 42 Tunstall 10

AHS 35 LB 31

AHS 26 Rustburg 28

I put in Brookville (ranked #1) vs Staunton River (ranked 4) and it predicted Staiunton River to win 31-24.

I realize that I may have done the brackets wrong.

My take is depending on the win/loss this Friday there could be some shuffling of rankings in 3A West.  #1 through #3 is only separated by 1.1 points.  Also the rest could move around a bit.  What we do know is that Nov 7 the rankings will be set for playoff seeding.  I'm waiting till then for any type of scenario.  I just hope Abingdon can hold on to the #3 or better ranking with a win over Marion.

Ryan, not sure if this makes a difference, but Ridgeview is at Honaker, not the other way around...

Also, what is this CalPreps? Is it kind of like the VHSL Reference predictor?

It's a website based in California that has a computer algorithm that predicts scores based on a miriad of factors. Aside from their predilections for the weekly games, you can also go and simulate any team against any other. So if you wanted to see who would win between this years Richlands team and the 2007 team, you can see what they predict.

They hit 90% a lot, and country wide have a solid 80%+, which is pretty good.

I wish Amherst/Appo played on Saturday.  Would love to see those two play in person.  I know that a few years ago, Lake Taylor (4A) beat L.C. Bird (5A state champs) during the regular season.  It wouldn't surprise me greatly if Appo pulls off a slight upset.

As much as I want Lee to win, Va high should win. quite a few kids that have very little play time this year will be playing tonight with several starters on the sidelines. Not going into complete details but Va high by 2 TDs.

As much as I want Lee to win, Va high should win. quite a few kids that have very little play time this year will be playing tonight with several starters on the sidelines. Not going into complete details but Va high by 2 TDs.

Well fudge.  Not the news I wanted to hear as a Ridgeview fan.

the implosion has begun?

I'd honestly never heard of these, but I couldn't stop playing around with them and wasted an entire day by the time I was done (thanks a lot guys)! Seriously though, I had a lot of fun, particularly with matching up games that I either played in or my teams against todays, and so on.

Suffice it to say (not that it was any surprise), this Abingdon team would've killed any AHS team I played on. In fact, going back all the way to '03 (the first year available for non-Cal teams), this year's Abingdon team defeated all others according to Cal Preps (even '15 Abingdon, and I'm not so sure about that).

Also, yes, if you're wondering, I projected '16 Abingdon against every team in the state this year from all classes. They lost to 68 teams (at least by last week's metrics), which is about what I would expect. That said, it's hard to project playing up from 3A to 4, 5 or 6A on paper. Abingdon beat a considerable amount of 6A teams according to Cal Preps, and despite being confident that this Abingdon team is among the best in 3A, I'm a realist too, and know that's an entirely different endeavor. So I have mixed thoughts about how that kind of game would go.

If you want to know the list of 68 teams, message me and I'll send them to you (and the score). It's just too lengthy to post here.