Graham basketball...

GMan

• 4 weeks later...

Posted this on another thread, but figured it might get more eyes on it here.

Anybody know when Cooper will be ready to play for Graham?    I'm hearing a lot of noise from the Graham camp, this could be another special season.  Quality Guard play in Cooper (if ready to go), Baker, Allen, Curto, Martin.  Morgan is more of a small forward type, but plays more like a shooting guard.... Dalton should be a quality Center underneath.  

I believe Graham may run 4 guards and a center.... they have a lot of depth at the guard position....  

They have some good size coming up from the JV to backup Dalton.   I believe Dalton will be an improvement at the Center position, he has some good post moves and is very quick for a center.  Question is who will back him up  if he gets into foul trouble... but like I said there's a couple of kids coming up from JV that look promising.  That may be the biggest issue with Graham this year....getting somebody in the game to spell Dalton and give him some rest without a significant drop off at center.

Workman and Clarke would normally be difficult to replace, however I believe the guard-play won't suffer much with their departure, if at all.... like I said Baker, Cooper, Allen, Curto are more than capable of handling the point guard position.  Workman had good size, however and could take the ball to the basket and did quite often.  Hopefully somebody will step up and be able to do that.   I feel as if Allen and Cooper will be capable of driving to the basket and finishing strong and either score or draw the foul.  Baker is more of a penetrate and dish type of guard, however watching him come up since little league.....that kid may be the best at handling the rock that I have seen come through Graham in quite a while, reminds me of how his dad played back in the day (maybe a little better than his dad was)... 

Graham re-scheduled a few of their opening games due to football going deep in the playoffs....  Their first game is the 12th I think... Bluefield game is December 28th.  Can't wait to watch them play.  I have really enjoyed watching Graham basketball the past few years, they are producing a quality product.  I like watching the basketball just as much as I like watching the football team.  I look for a good run from them again this season.

"Anybody know when Cooper will be ready to play for Graham?"

Not sure if they really know but FWIW when the radio announcers said a few weeks ago he was out for football, they said he may miss basketball season too

He is transferring to Allegheny County from what I am hearing.  Wish him the best... I think Graham will be fine.....Martin, Baker looked good in preseason scrimmage.  Graham got the better of Honaker without Dalton, Morgan, Allen...etc...  They have a scrimmage tomorrow night, football players will be back, will be interesting to see how they do at full strength.

I went to the scrimmage. ghraham won the 4 quarter part 56 46. they played a fith quarter but I don't remember score. 15 13 I think. union didn't shoot well at all but its early. graham guards were good and I was told that there best player is hurt. 13-24-and 52 were solid for graham. 52 was physical down low and he could step out and hit the 3.overall it was well played by both teams. union is real young and has a lot of growing to do but I think after they get some experience they will be ok. lack of a true big man may hurt union but they have speed and are athletic so we will see. gonna be fun to watch.