2016 Arby's Classic field - just GC form Va,

VHSLhelper

The field has been announced! Tournament draw will held Sunday, November 20 @ 3:00 p.m. at the Arby's restaurant on Lee Highway. It will be â€‹broadcast live on ESPN Tri-Cities.

​Blanche Ely  
Buford  
Christ School
David Crockett 
Dobyns-Bennett 
Gate City 
Greeneville 
McCallie  
Oak Ridge 
Sandy Creek  
Science Hill 
Sullivan East 
Tabernacle Baptist Christian Academy
Tennessee High  
Trinity High  
Washington Park  
Wayne 
Wings Academy

• 2 weeks later...

Has Wings been in it before? Don't remember hearing that name before.

From the BHC:

"Numerous recognizable squads dot the field, but seven newcomers – Blanche Ely (Florida), Buford (Georgia), McCallie (Chattanooga, Tenn.), Sandy Creek (Georgia), Trinity (Kentucky), Washington Park (Wisconsin) and Wings Academy (New York) – will also make their Arby’s debuts."

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/arby-s-classic-bracket-set-tennessee-high-draws-defending-champ/article_0e9ace92-af72-11e6-8547-6b67943e1db1.html

From the BHC:

"Numerous recognizable squads dot the field, but seven newcomers – Blanche Ely (Florida), Buford (Georgia), McCallie (Chattanooga, Tenn.), Sandy Creek (Georgia), Trinity (Kentucky), Washington Park (Wisconsin) and Wings Academy (New York) – will also make their Arby’s debuts."

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/arby-s-classic-bracket-set-tennessee-high-draws-defending-champ/article_0e9ace92-af72-11e6-8547-6b67943e1db1.html

Thanks Beamerball. I see thats Wings Academy is from the Bronx....can only imagine what kind of thrashing they will dish out to the Devils to put them in the left side of the bracket right off the bat.

Thanks Beamerball. I see thats Wings Academy is from the Bronx....can only imagine what kind of thrashing they will dish out to the Devils to put them in the left side of the bracket right off the bat.

I just googled them and seen they won their championship last season in NYC played at Madison Square Garden.

I just googled them and seen they won their championship last season in NYC played at Madison Square Garden.

Me and you both....I had to give them a Google. Looks like a young Harlem Globetrotter squad. Will probably be able to name the score.....but it will be good experience for GC. Those really bad blowouts are sometimes demoralizing though....hopefully they can keep it respectable haha

That's an interesting game to say the least. I've been eyeballing that one since the schedule came out and ill be there providing my shift work doesn't get in the way. I've not really looked into it or heard what Knox Christian has this year....but I'm sure theyre loaded.

Do you ever say anything positive about the Devils, RiverRat? Usually fans are positive about their teams. Especially when a team has 3 D1 prospects. GC competes better year in and year out in the Arby's Classic than any other local team. Hurley took their whipping and hasn't been back. Union took their whipping and won't be back. And nobody else in SWVA has the guts to go play every year like we do. It makes us better for the long haul.

Do you ever say anything positive about the Devils, RiverRat? Usually fans are positive about their teams. Especially when a team has 3 D1 prospects. GC competes better year in and year out in the Arby's Classic than any other local team. Hurley took their whipping and hasn't been back. Union took their whipping and won't be back. And nobody else in SWVA has the guts to go play every year like we do. It makes us better for the long haul.

Sure I do. I really don't mean to seem like a debbie downer. I just heir to the side of cautious optimism and try to be a realist. When I say things such as I think not having a post player will be GCs Achilles Heel....I'm referring to it being the speed bump pretty deep into the post season as I feel GC will be good enough to make a deep run. I just don't like to spew unbearable homerism to the point that people get sick of reading my 2¢ worth (not that anyone really cares what I have to say anyhow)...and I'm not directing that towards anyone in particular. I love the fact that GC plays in the Arbys....and I think maybe aside from Science Hill and Davy Crockett, GC does about as well as anyone else has from this area against the power house teams. Just because I think it's possible for GC to get beat by 35-40 points doesn't mean I'm downing them...it's mainly a testament to how steep the competition is that they are playing I also like seeing the Devils step up to the plate and play teams like Knox Christian, Shelby Valley, Oak Hill Academy, Daniel Boone, Tennessee High, etc. It definitely does help have them battle tested.

I agree with that 100%. Only exceptions were the 07 and 08 teams for GC...they played really good defense. But that's about the only ones I can think of that had both offense and defense. The only problem for those years was Scottie was so worried about having his players fresh for defense that he never gave his offense time to get a rythm together with the same 5 guys on the court. He would sub in fresh legs every minute or two...Usually right after someone sank a few shots and started to get into a rythm.