GW vs PM thoughts

02GW12

I have spent all week watching film on PM fromFriday night last week until today. This will be my most indepth breakdown of the year so far. And Iwant to make this VERY CLEAR I have nothing but respect for PM. The fans I've spoke with here have always been nice. So please don't take anything I say as disrespect it isn't it is simply my opinion. So while I must say theyare impressive in the way they run that O but I do see some holes. 1 The line play, yes theyhave ok size but they don't get much push on the D line. The blocking schemes are very basic alot of double team, chop block and down blocking. So they are extremely vulnerable if you can get penetration across the line of scrimmage. I think GW will do that all night.

2 Lack of any real break away speed GW will have a major speed advantage in this game. I've seen film on top of film and yes while I realize that isn't in person it will give you a good perception of size and speed. And with PM I don't see much at all they do run hard but against a team as deep and fast as GW you have to have some burners.

3 Running into the teeth of the D yes that is what the power T is for. But if your line isn't onits A game 100% you will not have any success. #64 is the pivot point imo of that line. If he isn't abusing his opponent the left is completely gone. He will probably be on Dylan Anderson or Larry Isaac. Both are freaks ofnature and will hit you for the fun of hitting. #64 is a big boy but he will be the smaller manin 99% of the matchups that GW will show him. I said it to mmqp in like week 1 PM will go as the line does. This will have to be there best played game all year to even stand a chance at winning.

4 Lack of passing yes they do pass but it is far and few between. And when they do its passes to the flats to a back peeling out or one of the TE on a mid level curl route. GWs LBs are great at dropping out to cover the pass. And our DBs will force everything underneath to keep the passes shallow.

That's the holes I see when watching PM on O. I see a few more on D but I'll only talk about the major ones. 1 Again lack of speed they say speed kills and GW has a wealth of it. The LBs of PM will be tested all night by having to play a spread O. They will have to cover everything that moves or they will get burnt badly. Again speed will be at a disadvantage for them.

2 Lack of penetration by the D line sometimes they are ok but alot of the time they just try and get in your way. That is a tactic to free up there LB's so they can split the gaps and get pressure. Lack of penetration will not work here.

3 Size of the DBs I haven't seen a single DB close to 6'1. GW will use 6 WRs that are 6'-6'3 all with great range and speed. Again another group on PM'S D that will be tested all night. They will see so many different kids who are all legitimate threats to score.

So with all of that here are my keys to victory for both teams.

PM

1- On O hold onto the ball for long drives keep GW'S O off the field. Make this a possession game. And NO MISTAKES ie not To's and limited penalties.

2- Stick to the run game it's there money those shallow passes will only develop if the run game keeps us honest.

3- Nelson, Nelson, Nelson ride your work horse to victory the young man is so close to the all time record for a reason. Force GW to focus on the other 2 if not we will key on him and make his night miserable.

On D

1- The DBs and LBs will have to play there best game of the year. It will have to be an A+ performance to contain all of our weapons.

2- Blitz and shoot what very small gaps you will have with a high level of success. If you can't you will get burned

3- Line play, Line play, Line play that D line has to make us uncomfortable if they don't we will go to work on the the LBs and DBs. We get to the second level really well and really fast. As I side above mmqp and me agreed if that line is off the whole team is off. Line failure means team failure.

Key's to victory for GW on O

1- Use our speed and depth to spread the D thin force them to stop every weapon. Don't focus on the run or the pass spread the wealth by spreading the D.

2- Use our size to wear the D down by constant pressure. Allowing us to get to the second and third levels.

3 Play or high paced game don't engage in a slow paced methodical game. Do what GW does best flood the field with talent and depth. Make PM keep up or fade away and just take advantage of mismatches. We have a huge WR group in actual size and in depth keep the D honest don't allow the to sell out.

Key's on D for GW

1- Use that size and beat the O line up don't let the breath for a second. Don't let them get into any type of rhythm. Set up in a 5-3 set get into the backfield and cause panic and mistakes.

2- Penetrate, Contain, and WRAP UP. Penetrate across the line of scrimmage with the D tackles, Contain with the DEs and force everything back into the teeth of the D, Wrap up don't give the backs second chance yards force them to earn every single inch nothing comes easy.

3- Physical, Physical, Physical many seem to think GW is a finesse team. And that isn't the case smash heads and meet them in the hole. When they take that 1st step out of the backfield make them pay. Hit them for 4 Qs with fresh bodies and wear that will to play. Simply take the game and wilt them over 4 Qs with fresh men and oppressing pack D.

That's my take on this game sorry for the length. But with all of that said you know I gotta go with MY MAROONS

GW-42 PM-28 best of luck to everyone still playing and safe travels to all heading to a game

Pretty fair assessment and the score is generous but I do think if PM has some early success with the run game it could be interesting. The consensus of people I talk to agree GW is very good and big but not physical.. So if PM gets the physical game going I want to see how GW reacts. The only other physical game they have been in was Galax and we know how that turned out. 

Yes I agree many think we are finesse but we really aren't. GW will smack you hard and frequently. In the Galax game they wilted after the 1st 3 to's and quit. After that game they woke up and have been trying to take souls with hits. And they do a pretty good job lol.

This game can be won by either team no doubt. GW has to stuff that run game and do the exact opposite of what we did against Galax. But I think we will and will pull away once the game gets long.

Taymon Cooke does, dollars to doughnuts.

I really need to make sure I take my OCD meds ...

Cooke is very fast, and may get faster, but a quick search of his 40 times at Blue-Grey super regional combines reveals he ran a 4.47 in North Carolina in April, and a 4.5 flat at the Washington Redskins training facility in June. I'm assuming both of those were hand timed. He may get even faster over the next year, as he has reduced his 40 times drastically from the 4.77-5.24 range he ran last year at a combine in Charlotte. However, it doesn't appear that he's ran in the low 4.40's range ... yet.