Building a successful program

tornado99

If the athletes don't the system then the system has to be adjusted. Richlands is a GREAT example of this, personally I don't like what they do on Offense now but their talent fits it well, a few years ago they ran Johnson more and mixed in quite a bit of Jet Sweep. Theres enough versatility within their version of the "Spread" that adjustments can be made over time.  The I-formation was probably the best example of this; Pro-I, Power-I, 3 Wide-I all are I-formation, all use the same base plays but use very different personnel and each offer some different complementary plays. Almost infinitely adaptable.

Imo most little league teams should be running I-formation double tights with a wing, as the kids get older add a Split End, a Flanker or both, and maybe a shotgun 2 backs set. That prepares the kids to do what the varsity is doing regardless of what the varsity is running. Middle school teams absolutely can run a version of what any varsity team is running, theres no reason for a MS team to be running Wishbone if the Varsity is a Spread team and the HC intends to stay in the Spread, the learning curve will just be too steep in a couple of years. At Haysi the lower levels didn't run any 3 back offenses (T, Wishbone, Power-I) because the varsity wasn't going to run it and mixing in shotgun was encouraged.

If the athletes don't the system then the system has to be adjusted. Richlands is a GREAT example of this, personally I don't like what they do on Offense now but their talent fits it well, a few years ago they ran Johnson more and mixed in quite a bit of Jet Sweep. Theres enough versatility within their version of the "Spread" that adjustments can be made over time.  The I-formation was probably the best example of this; Pro-I, Power-I, 3 Wide-I all are I-formation, all use the same base plays but use very different personnel and each offer some different complementary plays. Almost infinitely adaptable.

Imo most little league teams should be running I-formation double tights with a wing, as the kids get older add a Split End, a Flanker or both, and maybe a shotgun 2 backs set. That prepares the kids to do what the varsity is doing regardless of what the varsity is running. Middle school teams absolutely can run a version of what any varsity team is running, theres no reason for a MS team to be running Wishbone if the Varsity is a Spread team and the HC intends to stay in the Spread, the learning curve will just be too steep in a couple of years. At Haysi the lower levels didn't run any 3 back offenses (T, Wishbone, Power-I) because the varsity wasn't going to run it and mixing in shotgun was encouraged.

Prior to Dixon taking over at Galax, one of the youth football teams was running the "Single Wing" and had been for several years.  I can't be certain but I believe that prompted him to approach the recreation center about 8-man and having an influence on who coaches youth football.

I should also add, Dixon strongly encourages the current varsity players to be involved with sandlot in small ways.  Having varsity "stars" being visible and approachable for the little kids that look up to them fosters more participation in "The Breakfast Club".

I like the explanation. I am assuming the IF POSSIBLE refers to coaching and regime change obstacles. WHAT IF a group of athletes do not match the system in place? Is it better to be consistent year-end, year-out or change intermittently? I agree with the response, just begging the question. I have wondered some years if I-formation would be preferable to spread if a lack of speed in personnel. Of course, I am sure it's better not to sacrifice what's best for the long-term for short-term gain.

Yes. The "IF POSSIBLE" refers to coaching as well as players. Look at Graham '01. They had the athletes to run their spread very effectively and they did so. They ran it and threw is very well out of that formation. HT Matthews threw for 2000 yards and rushed for 1000 yards at QB and was 1st team All Sate with that group. (Belcher, Oakes, French, Bradhsaw, Jones, etc..)  They also ran the bone effectively. After that year, "WE" started going back to the bone and a 2 back set at times with Rob and AB more than the spread because of the make up of the team. Our '93 team had enough speed to run a spread offense with myself, Mike Gregory, Jacob Dews, Brandon Banks and Shannon Hoops at wide out but we rarely ran anything other than the bone. The 4 of us, if I'm not mistaken still hold the 4 x 100 meter school record by the way. I say this because I still think that we were collectively faster than many groups before and after us but we rarely used it to our advantage in the passing game. Our coaches at that time hadn't learned the concept of the spread so we didn't run it and Graham football was still very successful during those "WISHBONE' years. Schemes should be adjusted each year based on the personnel that you have on the field. This can only happen though if the coaches are knowledgeable of different approaches. I think that coaches should attend as many coaching clinics as they can afford to learn more from other coaches.

Prior to Dixon taking over at Galax, one of the youth football teams was running the "Single Wing" and had been for several years. I can't be certain but I believe that prompted him to approach the recreation center about 8-man and having an influence on who coaches youth football.

I should also add, Dixon strongly encourages the current varsity players to be involved with sandlot in small ways. Having varsity "stars" being visible and approachable for the little kids that look up to them fosters more participation in "The Breakfast Club".

I love the concept of the varsity coaches being involved. It is very important for the coaches working together with the youth league. I believe it helps foster that all important stability.

Thanks for the info. As far as PV is concerned they were very blessed with talent. I know having the Jones brothers helped with 4 of those titles.

It certainly did, but PV won as many without a Jones brother as they did with them. And tbh, I'm not sure PV wouldn't have won it all in 1998 without Julius, that team was incredibly stacked.

To answer OP, a great feeder program helps. And the 7/8th and JV teams need to run same offensive system as the HS team to get the kids acclimated to the scheme.