Graham-Bluefield thoughts?

futbolking

Graham looked better than the first game, but still didn't play to their potential.  Dalton stayed in foul trouble all night.  I feel that he made a huge difference when he was in the game at affecting Bluefield's ability to get to the rim.  I was surprised that Morgan is still out for Graham, had heard that he would be back after Christmas break, but he is still not playing.  Also, any news on Baker?  looked like a bad injury last night.  Hope the young man is o.k.  He is one of my favorite players to watch.  On a positive note.  Graham was playing with a bunch of freshmen, sophomores and juniors against a Bluefield team with 5 seniors that see significant playing time, so I think Graham is built for the future.  Next season may be a special one.  The freshmen Lester and Dawson played well.

JV team lost by 14, had a couple of promising looking players, but then again....Graham has several 9th and 10th graders playing on the varsity squad.  So losing by double digits isn't that discouraging.

I for one was glad to see the refs calling the fouls, unlike the last contest.  Bluefield fouled a lot and it got called.  The fans were acting ridiculous over every call... but that's par for the course at a high school basketball game.  As I said before, had Dalton not been in foul trouble all night for Graham, the outcome may have been different.  Bluefield won, however end of story.  Future looks bright for Graham, at least the next couple of seasons.

Nope, he's a Bluefield grad...but it kinda reminds me of Gate City fans.  You know, they win by 30+ and complain about how terrible the officials were...

Ahh makes sense. The score was much closer this time so there is only one logical thing that could be the reason why... Refs. Refs were a 30 point difference. Graham cannot be getting better, it is simply officiating keeping it close. Those dag on zebras. 

A walk is a walk and a foul is a foul.... no matter the point difference on the court. If your not consistent go ahead and swallow your whistle and go officiate Upward Basketball. That's how I feel about it at least.

And I have no clue about this game...Just speaking in general. Would guess it was home court for Graham and they just played better.

A walk is a walk and a foul is a foul.... no matter the point difference on the court. If your not consistent go ahead and swallow your whistle and go officiate Upward Basketball. That's how I feel about it at least.

And I have no clue about this game...Just speaking in general. Would guess it was home court for Graham and they just played better.

Wait a minute... a GC fan commenting on officiating now? The omniscient ones have spoken. 

Wait a minute... a GC fan commenting on officiating now? The omniscient ones have spoken.

What do you mean "Now"? I'll comment anytime officiating is awful. I appreciate good officiating as much as the next person.

The biggest gripe I've got with officiating right now is the lack of fouls called for players in the act of shooting. Its bad at the collegiate level and it seems like it's trickling down to high school ball as well. Everything is called on the floor....Won't even entertain the idea of being in the act of shooting or the continuation after the foul.

What do you mean "Now"? I'll comment anytime officiating is awful. I appreciate good officiating as much as the next person.

The biggest gripe I've got with officiating right now is the lack of fouls called for players in the act of shooting. Its bad at the collegiate level and it seems like it's trickling down to high school ball as well. Everything is called on the floor....Won't even entertain the idea of being in the act of shooting or the continuation after the foul.

I am sure you are the same guy yelling 3 seconds and over the back form the stands too. 

Everyone knocks officiating bc it is easy to knock it. The guys you see on TV do it as a profession... the guys we have around here do it as a hobby. What makes you think he guys you see on Tuesdays and Fridays are going to call that crap if the guys you see on TV don't?

Furthermore, I have NEVER heard a GC fan on this forum commend a well officiated game lol. 

Better not bet your lunch money on it. Your assumptions would cause you to starve.

Now how is anyone supposed to get a word in edgewise on commending the refs on this forum when your constantly taking time out of your day to applaud them on such a job well done? Let's be realistic here, I never hear ANYONE applaud the refs on here, and that includes you. Has nothing to do with just GC fans. You really don't have to constantly juggle the cahones of the zebras to show you appreciate it when they do their jobs and do it well. Maybe now you won't dread it so bad when they do such a good job officiating...You can just put your hands in your pockets.

Better not bet your lunch money on it. Your assumptions would cause you to starve.

Now how is anyone supposed to get a word in edgewise on commending the refs on this forum when your constantly taking time out of your day to applaud them on such a job well done? Let's be realistic here, I never hear ANYONE applaud the refs on here, and that includes you. Has nothing to do with just GC fans. Just because I'm not constantly juggling the cahones of the zebras doesn't mean I don't appreciate it when they do their jobs and do it well.

You are missing my point... It is an excuse that most teams use when their team plays poorly. "Refs were bad" is why they barely won or lost. 

The original comment about officiating was it was the "worst they have ever seen" yet these teams played a few weeks ago bluefield won by 30+. Last night, Bluefield won by 5ish. Toss out the idea a team improved or god forbid that one team get worse. It was officiating is all. 

Just shedding light on something I have seen on here often. 

You are missing my point... It is an excuse that most teams use when their team plays poorly. "Refs were bad" is why they barely won or lost.

The original comment about officiating was it was the "worst they have ever seen" yet these teams played a few weeks ago bluefield won by 30+. Last night, Bluefield won by 5ish. Toss out the idea a team improved or god forbid that one team get worse. It was officiating is all.

Just shedding light on something I have seen on here often.

I didn't miss the point. If you will look at the last thing I said in my first comment you would see that I said it was probably the fact the GMen played at their house and they just played better this time around. I don't blame wins or losses on officiating (some may)...Whether it's putrid officiating or not. But my original point was that a foul is a foul or a walk is a walk and it needs to be called whether or not my team or anyones team is up by 100 pts or down by 100 pts. I like consistency.

I didn't even read the previous posts about what the BHS fan had said. My response was about the comment about GC fans complaining about officiating when they when by 30+ pts. I just think officiating should be the same throughout no matter what the score is. (Aside from the obvious waning seconds of a game that isn't close)

Anyways, congrats to the GMen on the improvement. I'm still sticking to my guns that Graham beats Richlands at least 1 out of 2 games.

I only said worst I've seen in several years, not ever.  Am I a bit biased?  Most likely.  When I see Dalton and a Bluefield player going for a rebound and Bluefield player has both arms around the ball while Dalton only gets one hand on it ball for a second or two reaching over the Bluefield player's back that should not be a jump ball.  Also, when I see two Graham players lower their shoulders sending Bluefield defenders flying during a dribble drives and one Bluefield player do the same on a dribble drive, all three of those should either be all charges or all blocking fouls.  I didn't agree that Bluefield should have been called for two blocks and a charge on those three plays.
I know basketball is difficult to officiate and when it’s a rivalry that adds to the difficulty, but I would think most fans would like to see better consistency given those examples I provided.

I would also like to commend GMS for those new bleachers and floor.  That's a great place for a basketball game.

I didn't miss the point. If you will look at the last thing I said in my first comment you would see that I said it was probably the fact the GMen played at their house and they just played better this time around. I don't blame wins or losses on officiating (some may)...Whether it's putrid officiating or not. But my original point was that a foul is a foul or a walk is a walk and it needs to be called whether or not my team or anyones team is up by 100 pts or down by 100 pts. I like consistency.

I didn't even read the previous posts about what the BHS fan had said. My response was about the comment about GC fans complaining about officiating when they when by 30+ pts. I just think officiating should be the same throughout no matter what the score is. (Aside from the obvious waning seconds of a game that isn't close)

Anyways, congrats to the GMen on the improvement. I'm still sticking to my guns that Graham beats Richlands at least 1 out of 2 games.

It will be hard to beat them at Richlands, but I agree..  Graham wins at least one of the two.