Does Tazewell County do drug testing of its athletes?

Golden_Tsunami

1 hour ago, Rebel_Yell said:

Buchanan County has mentioned doing testing recently. I was just curious if it is mandatory in Tazewell County because that is not part of the normal screening process for a physical to play ball.

Yes! Random! 

I am in favor of mandatory testing of all athletes, not just random testing when someone says that he or she suspects someone. I don't think that it should come at the cost of taxpayers, but it should come out of the pockets of the parents whose kids want to play. Since it isn't mandatory in Tazewell County, if I was a "dirty" student athlete in Buchanan County and knew that it might become mandatory to be tested, then I guess I should cross county lines to play at a school in Tazewell County. Tazewell County should make it mandatory and not just random.

My kid busts his arse sometimes doing up to 4 separate workouts a day. He's extremely athletic and has been trying very hard to put on muscle mass. He eats right, drinks Muscle Milk, takes vitamins, works out on the Bowflex, and still can't gain mass. just definition. I see some kids that I know at other schools that "blow up" in size. The VHSL should make it mandatory to have multiple screening throughout the school year to ensure that everyone is on a fair playing field.

5 minutes ago, Rebel_Yell said:

My kid busts his arse sometimes doing up to 4 separate workouts a day. He's extremely athletic and has been trying very hard to put on muscle mass. He eats right, drinks Muscle Milk, takes vitamins, works out on the Bowflex, and still can't gain mass. just definition. I see some kids that I know at other schools that "blow up" in size. The VHSL should make it mandatory to have multiple screening throughout the school year to ensure that everyone is on a fair playing field.

Part of that is genetics.  If dad is String Bean and mom is String Beanette, then expecting the kid to be Bill Kazmaier is unrealistic.  Some kids are just going to be big, and some small.

Part of that is that steroid abuse among secondary sports participants has always been underground and is now growing.  I know for a fact that some SWVA athletes, going back decades, have been juiced.

He has no grandiose idea that he's going to be a famous body builder. He just wants to be bigger for his position. He's doing everything the right way and still can't achieve the personal goals that he's set for himself. Is it too much to ask that everything be done the right way by everyone who plays? That's where the VHSL should intervene.

5 hours ago, Rebel_Yell said:

Bowflex doesn't make you stronger, it only tones muscles. Muscle Milk isn't the answer either. To put on mass, the proper caloric intake needs to go beyond the calories burned.  If he is working out four times per day, he better eat like me if he wants to put on mass...

5 hours ago, BlackWolf5 said:

Every player before the season starts for any sport should be drug tested period!

I agree with that but it doesn't stop someone from passing the test then starting up.  There needs to me a set of randoms every week or month.  Also I agree that school system shouldn't have to pay for it.  Unfortunate that normal honest people would have to be punished but sadly that's the society that we live in now.  Also I'll add that if a kid gets busted for drugs during the school year then they should be kicked off the team as well.  I know we have been on both sides of the fence at Tazewell, but I'll stand my ground on that even if it's our best and only athlete!

It is both mandatory and random in Tazewell county because every participant in a VHSL sanctioned sport or activity knows at the start of the season that he or she could be subjected to the test during the season. The selections are made by a computer and the tests are done by an independent agency. They are tested  not only for drugs but for alcohol and tobacco also. The school board developed the policy after holding public hearings. the school system does not ;pay for the testing there is a grant obtained by substance Abuse Task Force in Rural Appalachia paying the bill.

2 hours ago, fingernail said:

It is both mandatory and random in Tazewell county because every participant in a VHSL sanctioned sport or activity knows at the start of the season that he or she could be subjected to the test during the season. The selections are made by a computer and the tests are done by an independent agency. They are tested  not only for drugs but for alcohol and tobacco also. The school board developed the policy after holding public hearings. the school system does not ;pay for the testing there is a grant obtained by substance Abuse Task Force in Rural Appalachia paying the bill.

No more calls, we have a winner!

5 hours ago, fingernail said:

Glad to know this.  Just curious though...when did that policy get implemented?