Union/VHS benefit game

Bearcat Dad

Yeah, VHS was able to convert a few 3rd and longs through the air and were also able to put some pressure on Turner. With that said, the Cats had a really tough time running the ball, especially with their shifty little starter. The power back was able to grind out a few 4 or 5 yard runs but Union's D-Line won the battle upfront, most of the night. Union will definitely be fine come playoff time.

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

How long did the Union 1s play? 

Just the first half. I wish they would have played more. However, that signals a lot of confidence from the coaching staff. They must be pleased with how things are looking so far.

Here's a KTN article that sums up the game nicely....http://www.timesnews.net/Sports/2017/08/18/Union-reveals-little-during-preseason-benefit-victory-over-Virginia-High.html?ci=stream&lp=1&p=1

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Just the first half. I wish they would have played more. However, that signals a lot of confidence from the coaching staff. They must be pleased with how things are looking so far.

Here's a KTN article that sums up the game nicely....http://www.timesnews.net/Sports/2017/08/18/Union-reveals-little-during-preseason-benefit-victory-over-Virginia-High.html?ci=stream&lp=1&p=1

Yeah, when I saw the Tweets coming in on this game, my eyebrows were raised a little, but seeing the starters only played a half that explains things a little better.

2 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Though Union's starters only played the first half. The score was only 14-0 at the half. With the hype surrounding Union, it should've been worse than that. Sounds like Union struggled to me. 

22 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

After union got up 14-0 about 3 minutes into the 2nd,  a few starters Weren't playing anymore. I remember looking over at the guy sitting next to me and talking about it. 

True and true. It was obvious that Union was working on the O-line, and practicing the same handful of running plays over and over wasn't going to create a beat down. Only threw a few passes, and the Va High's DBs made outstanding plays on 2 of those. I would like to have seen more flash, but the O was as vanilla as vanilla could be. Once again, sounds like a lot of confidence coming from the coaches.

13 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

True and true. It was obvious that Union was working on the O-line, and practicing the same handful of running plays over and over wasn't going to create a beat down. Only threw a few passes, and the Va High's DBs made outstanding plays on 2 of those. I would like to have seen more flash, but the O was as vanilla as vanilla could be. Once again, sounds like a lot of confidence coming from the coaches.

That's probably the best way to say it. It was obvious that union was definitely using it as a practice session when the starters were in. It was honestly quite boring. Run left, run right, screen to Mitchell. I think there was one deep attempt to Qualls in the end zone that the Va High DB made a great play on. Hopefully they open it up next week. The potential is there. It seemed to me the left side of the O line needed more work than the right. Would you agree?

1 hour ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

That's probably the best way to say it. It was obvious that union was definitely using it as a practice session when the starters were in. It was honestly quite boring. Run left, run right, screen to Mitchell. I think there was one deep attempt to Qualls in the end zone that the Va High DB made a great play on. Hopefully they open it up next week. The potential is there. It seemed to me the left side of the O line needed more work than the right. Would you agree?

Between Betsy and Va High, they used lots of line combinations. Thought the right looked weak against Betsy. Their #50 killed us. Against Va High, pressure on the run plays appeared mixed, but on the sacks, pressure seemed to come from the left side if I remember correctly.

And like redtiger said, watching the scrimmages in 2015, I would have never guessed the performance against Burton in the first game. As a fan, I want to see 40-0 scrimmages, but in reality that's just not what they're for.

They are alot of hype this year. There  defense is gonna be very hard to do anything with man they are big an physical.  Alot of play makers, union scored twice fairly quickly after that I seen younger kids come in the game.  They will be hard to beat this is the best defense union has ever put on the field by far imo.  

It was a good scrimmage for the Bears and a good opportunity for Union fans to evaluate a lot of players and their potential for 2017. With the score 14-0, and over 9 minutes to go in the second quarter, Union began the substitution process. I enjoyed seeing a number of quality players that the Bears have to utilize this season. They will need to settle on the O-line; but I'm encouraged to see how many kids can legitimately compete for playing time/starting spot. The initial D-line and inside linebackers looked very intimidating and played well & not one of those six boys played a down on offense during the scrimmage.

Just a couple of my favorite highlights - Avery Jenkins, for Union, had a nice 12 yard touchdown run for Union - he's fast! The Davidson kid who played flanker for Virginia High is small but has some terrific hands - he made a couple of really difficult catches!