CalPreps Season Projections

Ryan4VT

Some of y'all know what CalPreps is. It's an algorithm based website that projects high school football across the country. It's usually pretty accurate. 

They've predicted season records and district standings for all of our SWVA teams. In some cases, they also give top players and team strengths and weaknesses. I'll post them here for discussion. 

Southwest:

Graham 9-1 1st

Richlands 6-4 2nd

Virginia 4-6 3rd

Marion 3-7 4th

Tazewell 3-7 5th

Lebanon 1-9 6th

Mountain 7:

Abingdon 9-1 1st

Ridgeview 8-2 2nd

Union 5-5 3rd

Battle 6-4 4th

Central 4-6 5th

Gate City 2-8 6th

Lee 2-8 7th

Black Diamond:

Grundy 7-3 1st

Honaker 6-4 2nd

Hurley 4-6 3rd

Twin Valley 4-6 4th

Cumberland:

Burton 8-2 1st

Thomas Waker 7-3 2nd

Eastside 5-5 3rd

Castlewood 3-7 4th

Rye Cove 5-5 5th

Twin Springs 3-7 6th

Hogo:

Chilhowie 10-0 1st

Patrick Henry 9-1 2nd

Holston 5-5 3rd

Rural Retreat 3-7 4th

Nothwood 1-9 5th

MED:

Galax 8-2 1st

George Wythe 8-2 2nd

Grayson Co. 8-2 3rd

Ft. Chiswell 4-6 4th

Auburn 5-5 5th

Misc: 

Narrows 8-2 1st in Pioneer

Pulaski 8-2 2nd River Ridge

Radford 10-0 1st Three Rivers

Giles 4-6 4th Three Rivers

Carroll Co. 4-6 5th Three Rivers

Bluefield 10-0

From what I've seen in the projections its not that accurate. It has Grundy at 7-3, they are in for a rebuilding season. I also disagree with where Lebanon and Tazwell finish. Tazwell is primed for a good year and Lebanon won't go 1-9, they will win at least 4. Virginia High might not win 4 the way they looked in the benefit game. Marion will also struggle. In the Southwest  I would have Tazwell at 3 and Lebanon at 4, Virginia High  5, and Marion  6. I would also argue Patrick Henry not Chilhowie  runs the table. 

10 minutes ago, Pioneer pride said:

From what I've seen in the projections its not that accurate. It has Grundy at 7-3, they are in for a rebuilding season. I also disagree with where Lebanon and Tazwell finish. Tazwell is primed for a good year and Lebanon won't go 1-9, they will win at least 4. Virginia High might not win 4 the way they looked in the benefit game. Marion will also struggle. In the Southwest  I would have Tazwell at 3 and Lebanon at 4, Virginia High  5, and Marion  6. I would also argue Patrick Henry not Chilhowie  runs the table. 

These are just preseason projections based on stats and who left the program and such. 

They’ll start predicting matchups on Oct 1st and they’re usually over 90% on those. This is the first time I’ve seen them do a preseason thing like that. 

6 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

These are just preseason projections based on stats and who left the program and such. 

They’ll start predicting matchups on Oct 1st and they’re usually over 90% on those. This is the first time I’ve seen them do a preseason thing like that. 

Yep, preseason not accurate. The accuracy increases as more data is entered (teams playing teams and those teams playing other teams), etc. Any study or statistic is stronger or less prone to error by having more data (sample size).

Its very accurate, but in preseason it's of little value. For example, it has no idea how solid Tazewell or Richlands has looked in the preseason scrimmages. The eyeball test tells most of us Tazewell is going to be better than 3-7. Late last year, it did have East Rockingham beating Goochland and if I'm not mistaken it had Poquoson beating Goochland in their region championship the week before. It had Appo over Radford and projected East Rockingham beating Graham.

I suspect the out of state projections like Graham vs whoever South Dakota is mostly fun and the accuracy and reliability on these projections is probably much lower because there isn't as much data, not as much sample size to go into their algorithm for a projection

33 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Yep, preseason not accurate. The accuracy increases as more data is entered (teams playing teams and those teams playing other teams), etc. Any study or statistic is stronger or less prone to error by having more data (sample size).

Its very accurate, but in preseason it's of little value. For example, it has no idea how solid Tazewell or Richlands has looked in the preseason scrimmages. The eyeball test tells most of us Tazewell is going to be better than 3-7. Late last year, it did have East Rockingham beating Goochland and if I'm not mistaken it had Poquoson beating Goochland in their region championship the week before. It had Appo over Radford and projected East Rockingham beating Graham.

I suspect the out of state projections like Graham vs whoever South Dakota is mostly fun and the accuracy and reliability on these projections is probably much lower because there isn't as much data, not as much sample size to go into their algorithm for a projection

Exactly. These aren’t meant to be the definitive season projections. Just something fun to look at. By week 6 or, they’ll have it pretty accurate week to week. 

21 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Whenever the Class 2 playoff bracket was released last year, I actually used CalPreps to predict it all the way through for the Bracket Challenge contest that Ryan does here on the site.  It actually had Ridgeview and East Rock playing for it all in Salem using their site.  Well, it didn't quit turn out that way much to my dismay.  Lol.