Galax vs George Wythe

Gridiron60

No one is going to be able to and shouldn't try to lol. Unless Galax has an absolutely pitiful performance they will win easily. Yeah sure we finally have our actual starting QB back which means his brother can go back to being one of our best skills weapons. It adds alot to the offensive side of things. But not enough to beat Galax. I full expect to see running clock by the half. Galax-60 something GW-14 maybe

Galax played by far and away its best and most complete game of the year Friday night. If Galax can have a repeat performance I would give edge to Galax. 

Allen opened the playbook wayyyyy up compared to the first 5 games and it was a huge difference. 

Galax has played a tough schedule the first half of the year with Glenvar on 7 days of total practice, against a hard nose Giles team, then a battle against Radford. Not to mention having to go  against a really good  Graham down 5-6 players. It's been brutal.

Now they need play flawlessly as they need the points and Giles and  Parry McCluer are clicking and not mention Grayson county has quietly put together a 4-2 season thus far.  

22 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I see this very one sided especially with Covid pause & lack of games for George Wythe. Coaching advantage definitely goes to Galax. Galax will win handily! Convince me, otherwise? 

I don’t think they have a coaching advantage, Their coach is living off the Residuals of Dixon’s final class. That being said it will be tough to get a win for GW with the month layoff. 

15 hours ago, 02GW12 said:

No one is going to be able to and shouldn't try to lol. Unless Galax has an absolutely pitiful performance they will win easily. Yeah sure we finally have our actual starting QB back which means his brother can go back to being one of our best skills weapons. It adds alot to the offensive side of things. But not enough to beat Galax. I full expect to see running clock by the half. Galax-60 something GW-14 maybe

No way calling that now! Will be a lot closer than that. 

10 hours ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

No way calling that now! Will be a lot closer than that. 

I see your point I do but Harner is not capable of defending the Galax offense. He never has been yes getting our QB back will help the O a lot not saying his brother hasn't done a great job cause he has. I just think he's our best WR and his brother is the best option at QB they are a dangerous duo for sure. But Galax knows our plays inside and out they literally call them out before we run them and I agree the extremely vast gap at which he was being out coached is there anymore with Dixon gone. But he is still gonna be out coached by some margin that's been proven with this spring seasons playoff game. I just think it's a massive blowout I hope and pray I'm wrong I swear I do but I'll be shocked if it's not running clock.

2 minutes ago, 02GW12 said:

I see your point I do but Harner is not capable of defending the Galax offense. He never has been yes getting our QB back will help the O a lot not saying his brother hasn't done a great job cause he has. I just think he's our best WR and his brother is the best option at QB they are a dangerous duo for sure. But Galax knows our plays inside and out they literally call them out before we run them and I agree the extremely vast gap at which he was being out coached is there anymore with Dixon gone. But he is still gonna be out coached by some margin that's been proven with this spring seasons playoff game. I just think it's a massive blowout I hope and pray I'm wrong I swear I do but I'll be shocked if it's not running clock.

dixon was the one calling them out and dixon isnt there as we know. last year we only lost 7 -0 in regular season. then Ben gets hurt missed the playoffs . we missed ben more on D than O. then in playoffs we had a freshman at qb and then he got hurt trying to run over 57 and you dont try to run over 57 then down to technically the 4th string qb after that then got boat raced. Luke "2" is the QB not Ben. Ben only played QB last year because Luke had a ruptured Pec muscle so he missed a year playing and is still a little rusty. Last game he came to life and now 3 weeks off guess we will see. 

That's what I meant lol sorry if it all got confusing with my jumble of words. Luke is #2 Ben is #7 right? I'm pretty sure it's 7 and yeah he was the one calling them out but some of those kids he had are still at Galax. That imo is why this coach is so successful currently Dixon's remaining talent. Like I said I hope I'm so wrong on this one I'd love to beat Galax for once but I just don't see it. The talent is on the field for sure to do it but I think coaching gets us beat and beat badly on Friday. I think at the Skills we are at least equal to them if not better but I think Galax will easily have the advantage in line play. And when we're on D that'll hurt a lot! If Beeman or the QB get to the second or 3rd level constantly we're screwed. When we're on O it'll hurt but not nearly as much we have the athlete's to outrun them to the edge. And now with both twins on the field were dynamic on O to many weapons not to score. I just think our D is outclassed here and we are outclassed in coaching.

29 minutes ago, 02GW12 said:

That's what I meant lol sorry if it all got confusing with my jumble of words. Luke is #2 Ben is #7 right? I'm pretty sure it's 7 and yeah he was the one calling them out but some of those kids he had are still at Galax. That imo is why this coach is so successful currently Dixon's remaining talent. Like I said I hope I'm so wrong on this one I'd love to beat Galax for once but I just don't see it. The talent is on the field for sure to do it but I think coaching gets us beat and beat badly on Friday. I think at the Skills we are at least equal to them if not better but I think Galax will easily have the advantage in line play. And when we're on D that'll hurt a lot! If Beeman or the QB get to the second or 3rd level constantly we're screwed. When we're on O it'll hurt but not nearly as much we have the athlete's to outrun them to the edge. And now with both twins on the field were dynamic on O to many weapons not to score. I just think our D is outclassed here and we are outclassed in coaching.

Ben is 6, Beeman is gone, but Ben will be on a play count this week so it may not be as close as I would hope. But come playoffs hopefully Ben is full go. 

31 minutes ago, 02GW12 said:

Beeman graduated last year 

11 minutes ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

Ben is 6, Beeman is gone, but Ben will be on a play count this week so it may not be as close as I would hope. But come playoffs hopefully Ben is full go. 

I thought Beeman had one year left I work with his uncle I could've swore he said he was a Sr this season. And ok thanks for the correction how much do you think he'll play this week?

7 minutes ago, 02GW12 said:

I couldn't sworn his uncle said he had one season left... Either way the back you've got is no joke. What's his name?

They have been using 3 different backs this year,  Tucker who is a bruiser and Reeves and Horton who are more shifty with a little more speed.

Quick question. Even if the defense knows what’s coming, if executed properly isn’t every play supposed to be somewhat successful? I am not being an a$$. In the admittedly little bit of film I have watched of GW, it’s execution as much or more than scheme or play call. In a thread not so long ago the complaint was about GW running the same play repeatedly. I won’t say that doesn’t happen but again when executed every offensive play has a chance of success. It’s not always probable but it certainly is possible. Either way, back to the squabble at hand, lol. 

15 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

Quick question. Even if the defense knows what’s coming, if executed properly isn’t every play supposed to be somewhat successful? I am not being an a$$. In the admittedly little bit of film I have watched of GW, it’s execution as much or more than scheme or play call. In a thread not so long ago the complaint was about GW running the same play repeatedly. I won’t say that doesn’t happen but again when executed every offensive play has a chance of success. It’s not always probable but it certainly is possible. Either way, back to the squabble at hand, lol. 

It was 2 years ago and yea Dixonncalled the plays and you are right about execution! We had some seniors who i believe packed it in after the first few plays and were going through the motions through the rest of the game. It wasn’t the finest hour! 

27 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

Dixon would scream the play coming at his defense more often than not and against virtually every opponent. It didn't matter a lot of the time. I recall him knowing Northside was going to the big TE a few years ago. It didn't stop that kid from having over 100 yards receiving and a couple TD's. Dixon did the same thing repeatedly against your Gladiators. It didn't really have any affect on the outcome of any of those games.

I agree completely with your premise. If the offense executes, does it really matter? My personal opinion, @Jollay, living rent freescreen identity isn't the only thing "living rent free" in Wytheville. 

18 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Dixon would scream the play coming at his defense more often than not and against virtually every opponent. It didn't matter a lot of the time. I recall him knowing Northside was going to the big TE a few years ago. It didn't stop that kid from having over 100 yards receiving and a couple TD's. Dixon did the same thing repeatedly against your Gladiators. It didn't really have any affect on the outcome of any of those games.

I agree completely with your premise. If the offense executes, does it really matter? My personal opinion, @Jollay, living rent freescreen identity isn't the only thing "living rent free" in Wytheville. 

Word 

5 hours ago, RedPrideNation said:

Yes I couldn't agree more the execution of a play is key in it's success. But it's hard to execute a play properly when the defense sets up in the perfect position to stop it cause they know what it is. If you and I coached opposing teams and I told before the game we would only run hail mary's the whole game would you run a goal line D or a prevent? Same concept here it's hard to execute when 1 they know what's coming and 2 they know what's coming because it's the same play they just saw 5 times.

3 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

I'm shocked it's Tuesday afternoon and GW hasn't figured out a way of not playing this game. They've had a month to prepare for this game. They should be able to execute to perfection.

This is true sad but true haha

21 minutes ago, 02GW12 said:

Yes I couldn't agree more the execution of a play is key in it's success. But it's hard to execute a play properly when the defense sets up in the perfect position to stop it cause they know what it is. If you and I coached opposing teams and I told before the game we would only run hail mary's the whole game would you run a goal line D or a prevent? Same concept here it's hard to execute when 1 they know what's coming and 2 they know what's coming because it's the same play they just saw 5 times.

Well, GW has had a month to tweak the playbook. Maybe we’ll see some surprises on offense against Galax. Even with some surprises, I think Galax can make adjustments and it’s going to be a win by at least 3 TDs. I could be wrong. I hope it’s competitive but I just don’t see it being a barn burner. 

Different sport but same principle. As Greg Maddux once said, “No need to steal the sign. I will tell you what I throw. It’s an 89mph Sinker and you won’t even swing at it”.  Knowing what it is and stopping it is two entirely different things. We are talking about high school kids here. I will give you the best example yet. In 2015 the young man from Galax might as well have been in the huddle with Riverheads. He was a machine and I give him all the credit in the world for that state championship that Galax rightfully won. The next time they faced each other the coach knew we ran the same plays and may have called them out but they could not stop them. Just like with boxing or any combat sports, matchups make fights. Sometimes you are the hammer and sometimes you are the nail. So is life.....