Eastside beats Burton 53-50

BandanaVTDavis4321

A tough one to watch on NFHS as the feed kept locking up, but a good game when the feed worked.  A big win for Eastside.  Just when it looks like Burton is the team to beat in 1D (and I still think they are), Eastside gets the W.  Eastside, Rye Cove, Twin Springs, Burton, Lebanon all pretty close, but I think Burton is the best team (I haven't seen Lebanon on NFHS, just looking at their scores). But, big win for Eastside tonight who is looking like they might be the 2nd best team in the region.  Maybe even the best team, but I think Burton will have much more for em when they go back to JI Burton next week.  Burton gets a lots of points off turnovers and that pressure defense.  They put lots of pressure on the ball in a half court set.  Eastside in my opinion, handles the ball better than Rye Cove and Twin Springs, and that ball handling was enough to take away some of those defensive turnover points that Burton usually gets a lot of.  Burton got em tonight also, but not as much tonight compared to the game with Rye Cove when Burton and RC played the second time.  Should be a good game when they go back to JI Burton.  I think that game is next Tuesday or Wednesday.

11 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

A tough one to watch on NFHS as the feed kept locking up, but a good game when the feed worked.  A big win for Eastside.  Just when it looks like Burton is the team to beat in 1D (and I still think they are), Eastside gets the W.  Eastside, Rye Cove, Twin Springs, Burton, Lebanon all pretty close, but I think Burton is the best team (I haven't seen Lebanon on NFHS, just looking at their scores). But, big win for Eastside tonight who is looking like they might be the 2nd best team in the region.  Maybe even the best team, but I think Burton will have much more for em when they go back to JI Burton next week.  Burton gets a lots of points off turnovers and that pressure defense.  They put lots of pressure on the ball in a half court set.  Eastside in my opinion, handles the ball better than Rye Cove and Twin Springs, and that ball handling was enough to take away some of those defensive turnover points that Burton usually gets a lot of.  Burton got em tonight also, but not as much tonight compared to the game with Rye Cove when Burton and RC played the second time.  Should be a good game when they go back to JI Burton.  I think that game is next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Lebanon isn't even the best team in the Hogoheegee at the moment.  That would be Northwood who is 6-0 in the district and 10-4 overall.

edit:  Northwood beat Lebanon last night actually. 74-72 in OT.

The Cumberland is very tough, but so is the Hogo.  Northwood, Lebanon, Chilhowie at the top and PH is as athletic as anyone with length as well.  Im surprised they are further down the list.  I havent seen Holston personally.  

Really big week in the Cumberland though.  Eastside hosts Twin Springs tonight.  Friday RC travels to TW who isnt a slouch.  It was a 3 point ballgame with TS last night for the Pioneers with 3 minutes to play in Nicklesville.  TS travels to Burton and on Saturday Burton travels to Valley Creek to play the Titans again.

Seems like 1D is just wide open.  Maybe like 7, maybe 8  teams having a chance to either win the region or be the 2nd ranked team to advance to state.  It's crazy.  If Rye Cove, just my opinion, but if they would take better care of the basketball, I think they could be one of those 2 teams to make it out of the region.  They are very skilled, shoot it well, pass it well, play pretty good defense, but they turn the ball way more than they should.  If they would just take care of the basketball, they could go a long way.  

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Seems like 1D is just wide open.  Maybe like 7, maybe 8  teams having a chance to either win the region or be the 2nd ranked team to advance to state.  It's crazy.  If Rye Cove, just my opinion, but if they would take better care of the basketball, I think they could be one of those 2 teams to make it out of the region.  They are very skilled, shoot it well, pass it well, play pretty good defense, but they turn the ball way more than they should.  If they would just take care of the basketball, they could go a long way.  

I don't think anyone should be shocked if two of TS, RC, Burton, Eastside, Northwood, Lebanon or PH advance. It literally could be anyone. I don't think any can challenge PM but it's a fun as hell race.

Eastside dominates Twin Springs.

I think you definitely have tiers in 1D but there is no favorite. 

I would put Tier 1 as Eastside, Burton, Cove, Springs, Northwood and Lebanon. These teams are all 50/50 matchups depending on the night, officiating, who shoots well etc. The contrast in styles is interesting. Eastside/Cove are methodical defensive grinding teams. Northwood and Springs highly dependent on two stars with solid role players. Lebanon and Burton pressure oriented teams who force a lot of turnovers. 

I would put Tier 2 as Honaker, Grundy, Chilhowie and Thomas Walker and possibly Holston/PH. These teams can beat a Tier 1 team but it’s more like 70/30 in favor of the Tier 1. In a one game scenario that’s more than enough odds.  

Tier 3 is everyone else-they can possibly beat a 2 but not a Tier 1. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Eastside dominates Twin Springs.

I think you definitely have tiers in 1D but there is no favorite. 

I would put Tier 1 as Eastside, Burton, Cove, Springs, Northwood and Lebanon. These teams are all 50/50 matchups depending on the night, officiating, who shoots well etc. The contrast in styles is interesting. Eastside/Cove are methodical defensive grinding teams. Northwood and Springs highly dependent on two stars with solid role players. Lebanon and Burton pressure oriented teams who force a lot of turnovers. 

I would put Tier 2 as Honaker, Grundy, Chilhowie and Thomas Walker and possibly Holston/PH. These teams can beat a Tier 1 team but it’s more like 70/30 in favor of the Tier 1. In a one game scenario that’s more than enough odds.  

Tier 3 is everyone else-they can possibly beat a 2 but not a Tier 1. 

I agree with all of this. It's a very interesting point about officiating. The crews that draw the final games could really decide who advances purely bc style of play. A tight crew prob favors TS, Northwood and maybe Burton while a more loose crew favors a team like RC or Eastside. 

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I like Burton's chances because of the defense. They can be off on a given night offensively, yet still be in the game because of their defensive pressure.

With Campbell getting back to near 100%, they will also have the best player on the floor against any opponent in 1D except maybe RC with Chavez but even that's debatable.

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

With Campbell getting back to near 100%, they will also have the best player on the floor against any opponent in 1D except maybe RC with Chavez but even that's debatable.

I feel like Lane from TS and the guard from Northwood have an argument as well. 

On 2/2/2022 at 6:53 PM, BigWinners said:

I don't think anyone should be shocked if two of TS, RC, Burton, Eastside, Northwood, Lebanon or PH advance. It literally could be anyone. I don't think any can challenge PM but it's a fun as hell race.

Just seen where PM played narrows last week and only beat them by 3 but at the va high tourney Lebanon absolutely hammered narrows so it really could be anyone who wins the title this year in 1a.TS and Burton are obviously the favorites but if their main guys have bad nights maybe eastside rc Lebanon and northwood can beat them pretty badly

1 hour ago, Stelley said:

Just seen where PM played narrows last week and only beat them by 3 but at the va high tourney Lebanon absolutely hammered narrows so it really could be anyone who wins the title this year in 1a.TS and Burton are obviously the favorites but if their main guys have bad nights maybe eastside rc Lebanon and northwood can beat them pretty badly

They played again and PM won easily. I believe the big guy was in and out of the first game but I could be wrong. 

3 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

I feel like Lane from TS and the guard from Northwood have an argument as well. 

I dunno much about the Northwood guard, so possibly. Lane and the other kid from TS are both very good, but they seem to be headed in wrong direction. How has the schedule changed for the two JIB/TS games tonight and tmrw?

One thing about Narrows and McCluer and I had this discussion recently. Narrows and PM has become a vicious rivalry in basketball the past 5 years. Trust me, I live over here on 460. In the Narrows and PM game, the PM 6'10 center played roughly one half of the gsme. He started the game and he finished the game, but he was out for 3 and 4 spurts throughout the game including a 5 minute spurt. When he was in the game, he wasn't anywhere close to 100%. He has Diabetes and is prone to dehydration/cramping issues. Add this to a rivalry game, and trust me, it actually is a rivalry and you get a 4 point win for PM.

They just played back at Narrows with the big man playing all but 4 minutes of the game and they completely throttled Narrows at Narrows. If anyone has a chance to beat PM from 1D, Burton has thr best chance in my opinion because of their defense. PM though, has a floor wizard at point guard. They are very fast at the guard positions and if he's pressured, he dribbles right through it, dishes the ball and a dunk occurs. Eastside Might, keyword Might be a more complete team that Burton in my opinion, at least offensively, but Burtons defense, that kind of pressure at the Class 1 level is unique and teams have lots of problems dealing with it.  If the big man for PM is not healthy, I think Eastside and Burton certainly have a good chance. If he's healthy though, I just don't see PM losing to 1D. This is only my opinion though. 

Last thing....the big man from Rye Cove is no slouch either. That kid can play.

50 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

One thing about Narrows and McCluer and I had this discussion recently. Narrows and PM has become a vicious rivalry in basketball the past 5 years. Trust me, I live over here on 460. In the Narrows and PM game, the PM 6'10 center played roughly one half of the gsme. He started the game and he finished the game, but he was out for 3 and 4 spurts throughout the game including a 5 minute spurt. When he was in the game, he wasn't anywhere close to 100%. He has Diabetes and is prone to dehydration/cramping issues. Add this to a rivalry game, and trust me, it actually is a rivalry and you get a 4 point win for PM.

They just played back at Narrows with the big man playing all but 4 minutes of the game and they completely throttled Narrows at Narrows. If anyone has a chance to beat PM from 1D, Burton has thr best chance in my opinion because of their defense. PM though, has a floor wizard at point guard. They are very fast at the guard positions and if he's pressured, he dribbles right through it, dishes the ball and a dunk occurs. Eastside Might, keyword Might be a more complete team that Burton in my opinion, at least offensively, but Burtons defense, that kind of pressure at the Class 1 level is unique and teams have lots of problems dealing with it.  If the big man for PM is not healthy, I think Eastside and Burton certainly have a good chance. If he's healthy though, I just don't see PM losing to 1D. This is only my opinion though. 

Last thing....the big man from Rye Cove is no slouch either. That kid can play.

If he suffers health problems then what might happen in playoffs if he is out. Most teams usually just have one at most two guys who are real hoopers. And as we have seen lately if anyones main guy is having a bad night 9 times out of 10 they lose.

34 minutes ago, Stelley said:

If he suffers health problems then what might happen in playoffs if he is out. Most teams usually just have one at most two guys who are real hoopers. And as we have seen lately if anyones main guy is having a bad night 9 times out of 10 they lose.

PM doesn't seem as wholly reliant on one guy,they have some good guards, but the big kid is the reason they're one of the favorites. If he was out, they could get knocked off.

39 minutes ago, Stelley said:

Agree, if he suffers health problems, in my opinion, a team like Burton and Eastside have a very solid chance to beat em. Some would argue a team like Burton/Eastside have a good chance to beat PM even if the big man is healthy and I respect that take, but I just disagree with it, but if he's not healthy, I might even favor a team like Burton or Eastside to beat em.  

Last year, Narrows played Parry McCluer 4 times.  2 times in the regular season, then the district tournament, then the playoffs.  Parry McCluer averaged winning these games by about 10 points, and in BOTH regular season games with Narrows last year, and in the district tournament game with Narrows last year, those games were within 4 points going into the fourth quarter.  Basically, in 3 ouf of the 4 contests, Narrows was within 4 points going into the 4th quarter.  Narrows seems to always plays well against PM.

One more thing about Class 1 ball.  It might be a situation like we had in Class 2 football this year.   Graham had a wicked team and the team they had on most years, is usually good enough to win a Class 2 state title, and slowly as the season progressed, we kept hearing about a team pretty far in the East that were said to unbeatable and a once in every 10 year type of team.  Lancaster might be similar this year.  I'm not saying they are King William equalavent in football or a one in every 10 year type of team because I don't think they are by watching them, but they might have a team that is so good that nobody from the West is likely to win, whether 1D or 1C.  I've seen Lancaster 2 times on NFHS, and if they played McCluer tomorrow, I think Lancaster woudl win.  Lancaster didn't compete in basketball last year due to Covid, much like a bunch of teams in the East like Greensville County, Brunswick, and John Marshall in Class 2, and Surry County in Class 1.  All of these programs are traditionally very good.  Greensville County is the 2nd best team (in my opinion) that I've seen this year in Class 2 behind John Marshall.  They've had a bunch of games cancelled due to Covid, but you can check them out on NFHS.  They are bad a**.

Was just at the chilhowie Lebanon game and I’m from chilhowie and that was arguably one of the worst officiating games I’ve ever seen. Lebanon couldn’t put their hands on us without them calling fouls meanwhile we were throwing elbows left and right and going up and smacking the crap out of the goal  which would have been goaltending and they wouldn’t call a thing. And our main guy had a nuclear night and probably didn’t miss a three til the second quarter so it was a win but I wouldn’t call it a good win because lebanon might as well have been playing 8 guys tonight