transfers

stan.the.man

13 hours ago, stan.the.man said:

well apparently every player in SWVA transferred to a different high school this year!!  lmao  Kind of shocked Wise girls didn't have one or two!!

They got Moore from Union.  She will be a huge contributor in the years to come.

10 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Lucky Abingdon 😂😂😂Seriously, I doubt the administration will let it get to that point down there. They’ll stop that ignorance fast if I were a betting person. 

yeah it won't go far,  right now she will be 6 or 7 on that team!! 

16 minutes ago, stan.the.man said:

yeah it won't go far,  right now she will be 6 or 7 on that team!! 

Uhhh. Abingdon was terrible last year and lost to Richlands twice. I’m betting she and Trivette both start game 1. 

https://heraldcourier.com/sports/prep-hoops-annsley-trivette-transfers-from-richlands-to-abingdon-as-several-basketball-standouts-in-swva/article_8a7fffd6-3ab8-11ee-8dc4-bb615a4ea48f.html?utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3_XfCsq07dFPfhr_jJMJpzJKeJg0DJwXzMLFhJSHhFhVZoaPgX_k5aDDY_aem_AUKPolK2sFQmxp7bRzvI4vSz8neNL7La6gu37fcx2Q7P-4B2GQnaI1bLEeVV6MF-c7c

Did I read that right? Abingdon was 5-19 last year?

Remember the days when kids transferred to better programs for a better chance to earn a state title? I know the Reynolds girl had no choice but to transfer somewhere, her step daddy made her bed.  Not seeing the logic for the Trivette girl. If your going to transfer your kid, especially one of her caliber, why not go to a school with a solid winning program?

3 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

https://heraldcourier.com/sports/prep-hoops-annsley-trivette-transfers-from-richlands-to-abingdon-as-several-basketball-standouts-in-swva/article_8a7fffd6-3ab8-11ee-8dc4-bb615a4ea48f.html?utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3_XfCsq07dFPfhr_jJMJpzJKeJg0DJwXzMLFhJSHhFhVZoaPgX_k5aDDY_aem_AUKPolK2sFQmxp7bRzvI4vSz8neNL7La6gu37fcx2Q7P-4B2GQnaI1bLEeVV6MF-c7c

Remember the days when kids transferred to better programs for a better chance to earn a state title? I know the Reynolds girl had no choice but to transfer somewhere, her step daddy made her bed.  Not seeing the logic for the Trivette girl. If your going to transfer your kid, especially one of her caliber, why not go to a school with a solid winning program?

From the outside looking in, the Trivette girl had a couple of choices.

Option A stay at Richlands with a contested hire who is unproven

Option B transfer to Honaker where they will mop up the Hogo while she never sees the 4th qtr due to the score

Option C transfer to a Swd team who has been the doormat of 2d since the mtn 7 was created.

Option D join the MTN7 and also have the possibility to show her skills vs the likes of Carroll County and Co in 3D

Basically it was stick it out with Richlands with a coach who is unproven.

Go to Abingdon with the same unproven resume but be in the MTN 7 

Or transfer to Honaker and stomp everyone you face.

Abingdon is the best position imo

10 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Uhhh. Abingdon was terrible last year and lost to Richlands twice. I’m betting she and Trivette both start game 1. 

hmmm I bet Trivette will start and be the star but the other young lady will not!!  she will possibly start some games but the addition of Trivette will put Abingdon into the top three in the district and will contend for the championship!!!

9 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

I think you guys will be shocked this upcoming season for Abingdon!!!  The logic is 3A, better schedule, better competition and better exposure!!!  

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

She’s literally a D1 recruit who has taken visits to P5 programs. She doesn’t need any more exposure lol. 

pretty sure playing Twin Valley, Hurley, Grundy will not be impressive on her resume but playing Tenn High, LB, Northside and Carroll County will!!!

I disagree with the exposure, AAU is all the exposure she needs. Its about better competition on a night by night basis and she does not get that at Richlands. SWD is currently a soft district that would be hard pressed to win the Cumberland let alone beat a M7 team.

IMO, it was a very beneficial move for Trivette.  I agree that the national exposure you get from travel ball is unmatched with playing at any school.  But, this girl still has room to grow and more years to mature and improve.  Face it, basketball is a year round sport now if you want to play at the highest level after high school.  Richlands would not provide any chance during school ball for a player like her to improve.  For every game that she would be tested against quality speed and size, she would have to endure 8-10 games playing against slower, weaker players.  She may put up bigger numbers in those games but she would not get better.   The same thing if she'd chosen to go to Honaker.  They play a single A schedule and would have to wait until the postseason to be tested.  A move to the Mountain 7 places her in the top 2A district in the state year in/out.  This season at Abingdon she will be playing against Wise Central, Gate City, Ridgeview, and Union.  For years, these 4 teams have dominated the 2A ranks.  Non district games on the schedule include Lord Botetourt, Christiansburg, Tennessee High plus the possibility of facing off against Pulaski which dropped down from 4A and Alyssa Ervin/Carroll County who have dominated 3A since dropping down from 4A.

With the loss of Trivette and Reynolds at Richlands, Va High inherits the bullseye as the team to beat in the Southwest District.  I think the 2A race will come down to Wise Central and Ridgeview with Gate City and Union having an outside shot.  If McCamis is healed, Wise will be the favorite.  Ridgeview has an impressive group that have played together for some time.  They have plenty of speed and shooters.  Gate City will need to fill the hole from losing Lexi Ervin to graduation.  Union and VA High will be depending on scrappiness and speed but may not have enough to contend for the top spot.

1 hour ago, Elder statesman said:

IMO, it was a very beneficial move for Trivette.  I agree that the national exposure you get from travel ball is unmatched with playing at any school.  But, this girl still has room to grow and more years to mature and improve.  Face it, basketball is a year round sport now if you want to play at the highest level after high school.  Richlands would not provide any chance during school ball for a player like her to improve.  For every game that she would be tested against quality speed and size, she would have to endure 8-10 games playing against slower, weaker players.  She may put up bigger numbers in those games but she would not get better.   The same thing if she'd chosen to go to Honaker.  They play a single A schedule and would have to wait until the postseason to be tested.  A move to the Mountain 7 places her in the top 2A district in the state year in/out.  This season at Abingdon she will be playing against Wise Central, Gate City, Ridgeview, and Union.  For years, these 4 teams have dominated the 2A ranks.  Non district games on the schedule include Lord Botetourt, Christiansburg, Tennessee High plus the possibility of facing off against Pulaski which dropped down from 4A and Alyssa Ervin/Carroll County who have dominated 3A since dropping down from 4A.

With the loss of Trivette and Reynolds at Richlands, Va High inherits the bullseye as the team to beat in the Southwest District.  I think the 2A race will come down to Wise Central and Ridgeview with Gate City and Union having an outside shot.  If McCamis is healed, Wise will be the favorite.  Ridgeview has an impressive group that have played together for some time.  They have plenty of speed and shooters.  Gate City will need to fill the hole from losing Lexi Ervin to graduation.  Union and VA High will be depending on scrappiness and speed but may not have enough to contend for the top spot.

Fun fact; Zac and Lexi Ervin are Alyssa's older cousins.

Another fun fact; Alyssa lives just a couple miles from Galax High School but attends Carroll County. Which is a little over 15 miles away. It's absolutely the right decision. Carroll County offers her more opportunity regardless of exposure. The more she can experience the cauldron of competition, the better prepared she will be at the D1 level. The MED would be a waste of her time and offer no legitimate competition, as would the SWD for Trivette.

Just my opinion!

35 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Fun fact; Zac and Lexi Ervin are Alyssa's older cousins.

Another fun fact; Alyssa lives just a couple miles from Galax High School but attends Carroll County. Which is a little over 15 miles away. It's absolutely the right decision. Carroll County offers her more opportunity regardless of exposure. The more she can experience the cauldron of competition, the better prepared she will be at the D1 level. The MED would be a waste of her time and offer no legitimate competition, as would the SWD for Trivette.

Just my opinion!

its a good opinion as well six,  my comments about exposure were not about her getting discovered 'she already has been'  I meant the exposure to playing in high competition environment pretty much every night!!  wise, gc, ridgeview will be a battle on each of those nights and then abingdon always travels to the roanoke valley a couple times during the season!!  its going to be fun the next 3 years on falcon drive!!!

2 minutes ago, stan.the.man said:

playing in high competition environment pretty much every night!!

That's the meat and potatoes of the discussion right there ^^^

Everything else is irrelevant. 

• 6 months later...
On 8/16/2023 at 8:07 AM, bleedblue89 said:

Abingdon girls 3A Regional Champions,  is this winning enough!!!!  

7 hours ago, stan.the.man said:

Abingdon girls 3A Regional Champions,  is this winning enough!!!!  

Trivette is a rare talent and a game changer and will make a difference on whatever team she plays for, the Reynolds girl, not so much. The one thing regarding transfers that no one likes to talk about, is what hometown girl was pushed aside and riding the pine for a mediocre player to have playing time? Hometown kids getting screwed by transfers like the Reynolds girl is a shame. That being said, Go Falcons!