Week 1 Updates

Iceman2553

5 minutes ago, CPF said:

It's not the first time either. In 2019 we outgained them 2 to 1 yet lost by 14 points. Everytime we scored or had a big play it was called back.

There’s something to be said about that home-cooking in WV 😂

3 minutes ago, CPF said:

It's not the first time either. In 2019 we outgained them 2 to 1 yet lost by 14 points. Everytime we scored or had a big play it was called back.

If you have 5 or 6 officials, it only takes 1.  Most of the time when a bad call is made, it's human error by the official simply missing it in real time, bad judgement, or the emotion of the game (crowd noise and whichever team has momentum) effeds the official's emotion and a bad call is made.  I use to officiate basketball years ago in Virginia.  When I started out, I did that very same thing.  Getting caught up in the Emotion of the game, and easy to do with the home crowd, and on tape review, I mised the call, and at the time, I was certain it was correct.  

But, there are those very, very few where it's on purpose, and it's going to be one person.  I guess it has happened somwhere where a whole crew gets together and says, ok, we are going to make sure we sway this game for team A.  That is unheard of, but the one guy in six who has an agenda is Not unheard of.  This is why you have to have the other officials step up.  This is why the Back Judge, the guy who didn't throw the flag, but could clearly clearly see it was not only Not pass interference, but probably offensive pass interference chose Not to overrule the side judge.  That's a problem.

Coaches need to send this stuff in.  I have no idea about what Palmer will do, but here is what happens many time.   The team that suffereed the intentionally bad call wins the game, and they rationalize with theselves to "let it go, we won the game, so move on, prepare for the next one."  Well, that's great but it's stupid.  Because you "won the game" shouldn't be the decider of whether or not you turn the official in for review.  It should be based on whether or not......the official needs turned in for review Regardless of the outcome.  That guy that through that flag and the backjudge shouldn't officiate for while and they should be questioned.  Only my opinion.  I promise you this......if humans can cheat on their husbands and wives, or drink and drive, or beat someone out of 200 bucks, etc.....we can cheat in a football game.  We all of a sudden don't gain moral clarity when we put on a striped shirt and take the field.  Same with lawyers, doctors, polici officers, judges, anyone.  We hold some in high positions of moral authority to do the right thing like officials, but we are gullible to believe that some of them (very, very few by the way, but some of them) can't actually have bad intentions.  Some actually do.

Quick story on officiating.  I'm officiating in York County, VA years ago while in graduate school at ODU.  Tabb's Varsity Boys versus York's Varsity Boys.  Evidently, these two schools didn't like each other.  I have no idea about present day, but they hated each other and it was a big rivalry.  The crew I was with (2 other guys).  1 guy started to have 2 calls that kind of shocked me a bit that went in favor of York.  I was questioning whether this guy was doing it on purpose.  Low and behold, the other official started to make some questionable calls in favor of Tabb.  They were outragious calls, and it's as if he was doing it to "counterbalance" the other official.  It got so bad that I stopped the game and met with both of the officials.  I told them I'm here to be fair and do a good job, and that my reputation is on the line here just like you two guys.  I told them if you two are doing this shit on purpose, so help me God I'm going to stomp the shit out of both you in the dressing room when the game is over.  They got the message and called a better second half.  

The point I'm making is....if you get one guy that is really bad, you have to be careful because God forbid, there may be another that is trying to counter the bad effects of the one guy by also making intentionally bad calls.  These things are rare in my opinion, but they do happen.

On 8/26/2023 at 10:05 AM, gwloyal said:

We couldn't get the pass rush we did on Clark last year and the kid just had a monster night. He looked fantastic, and we didn't have an answer. But it wasn't a good night for us all around.....we couldn't get out of our own way.  But that's why I'll always love opening with Radford, even years when they thump us just like they did last night. There's always a clear understanding of who we can depend on, where our trouble spots lie, and what we need to clean up. 

Never did catch why no one could sit on the visitor side lol! I couldn't make it to the game and had to resort to NFHS lol. 

It's a mess left by our former superintendent.  Basically the bleachers are deteriorating.  They were last refurbished in the 1990s.  the construction to replace them was supposed to start of the summer but they are still waiting on the bleachers to arrive.  they were okay for soccer and graduation but apparently not for football.  The story is longer but lets just say the lawyers are making the decisions.