The only team in coverage area ranked in USA Today top 25

BandanaVTDavis4321

Fun fact, in the coverage area, to my knowledge, only 1 team in the coverage has ever been ranked nationally. That team was Pulaski County High School in 1993 which was ranked in the USA Today Super 25 for a large portion of the season. 

I don't think/don't know if some of the 60s Merle Gainer Bluefield Beavers teams ever had a "national ranking." I don't even know  if there was a national ranking or poll back then, but they had some dominant teams at a high/larger level/higher classification of football, and I think....we're AAA in West VA in the 60s before dropping to AA in the 90sish timeframe.

The '71 Tennessee High Vikings went 12-0 and won the state championship. The '72 THS Vikings finished 13-0, repeated as state champs and were declared national champions by National Sports News Service.

Source: Tim Hayes, Bristol Herald Courier, History with Hayes, Oct 23, 2022

The story about Tenn High (even though they aren't technically in the coverage area which is why I didn't mention them) but that early 70's Tennessee High team.  I hope the Gate City fans will chime in here.  According to GC, they whipped that Tennessee High team in a scrimmage game earlier that year from what I have had 2 GC fans tell me over the years.  I certainly wasn't there and wasn't born yet and have no idea if true, but this is what the GC fans have told me, and I have heard this from other fans in SWVA over the decades who are from the Bristol area, that GC actually got the best of Tennessee High in a scrimmage game that season.

2 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

The '71 Tennessee High Vikings went 12-0 and won the state championship. The '72 THS Vikings finished 13-0, repeated as state champs and were declared national champions by National Sports News Service.

Source: Tim Hayes, Bristol Herald Courier, History with Hayes, Oct 23, 2022

Thank you sir for the clarity on the subject.  It's been 20+ years since I last watched a game at the Stone Castle and the memory was getting a little fuzzy on the specifics.  I do remember some older VA High folks playfully talking trash about that banner like Narrows hears about their banners from the 30's.