Possible transfers next year.

Vol Hater

On 11/6/2023 at 1:45 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

If going strictly by the literature as it relates specifically to CTE, Marions decision might be a good one.

One aspect I've always liked about the Big Stone Gap youth program is its only 8 weeks, including (I think) 2 weeks of practice.  6 games total. So full contact is introduced at a early age but overall exposure is fairly limited. 

I know some youth teams travel and play a lot of "games". Not throwing off on the program or tournament but I know teams that have played well over 20 games including tournaments like the Big Blue Bash at Richlands.  

4 hours ago, redtiger said:

One aspect I've always liked about the Big Stone Gap youth program is its only 8 weeks, including (I think) 2 weeks of practice.  6 games total. So full contact is introduced at a early age but overall exposure is fairly limited. 

I know some youth teams travel and play a lot of "games". Not throwing off on the program or tournament but I know teams that have played well over 20 games including tournaments like the Big Blue Bash at Richlands.  

I think a lot of the places around here should go in house and do 8 man football. I know RV could have had 3 or 4 teams of around 15 kids each on the teams.  Play 4 to 6 games and teach the basics.  

2 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

I think a lot of the places around here should go in house and do 8 man football. I know RV could have had 3 or 4 teams of around 15 kids each on the teams.  Play 4 to 6 games and teach the basics.  

That's been my opinion since sixcat talked about Dixon implementing that setup when he arrived at Galax: more kids on the field, more control by the Varsity HC, playing become more feasible for all families, etc. Just makes sense

2 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

This is a very interesting take. My biggest concern with talent development trends in most sports is the way to early separation of the haves and have nots. Football especially is dependent upon physicality and way too many potential players are prevented from learning and developing due to injury, burnout, or negative experiences due to bad coaching or late maturity. Smaller teams with seemingly more equitable talent breeds more playing time and fewer blowouts.