Why coach high school football?

tornado99

Over my lifetime, my observation is that coaching careers are generally shorter. Some areas are more successful in regards to wins and losses than others for a variety of reasons. Those expectations likely increase the amount of stress leading to those shorter careers. I know the values are not mutually exclusive, (striving to win helps instill many virtues), but I’m curious how much the experience and reasons vary from community to community. For example, how different is the prevailing reason for coaches in powerhouses versus the average community with little hopes for state titles? Why do you do it?

If any posters are current or former coaches, thank you for your service to your communities regardless of the answers.

(This may be a good question for ATW, as the hosts all coached at smaller schools.)

Disclaimer:  I'm not a coach, but if life allows me more time in the future, I'd love to coach little league. Working on the fundamentals, knowing that it will pay off when they reach varsity.

I think the #1 reason that coaches do what they do and put up with what they do, is the love of the sport and wanting to stay connected in some way. The #2 reason would have to be love of their community.

Some do it for ego I'm sure. Those are the ones that apply for and take any job they can to get started. Try to prove themselves enough for the next "bigger" job until they're where they want to be. Then, they try to win as much as possible to get noticed so they can keep climbing the ladder. I think Thad Wells fits nicely into this category. I'm not saying anything is necessarily wrong with that, but it's probably more ambition than love of the community.

In most people, there's an innate desire for a challenge. What, specifically, that challenge is varies from person to person. Maybe it's state titles, maybe it's building a program or mentoring young men to prepare them to be responsible adults. Whatever that challenge is keeps them going.

Take Keith Warner at TS for example. What are the odds that he wins a state championship with such a low enrollment? He's done wonders there, and without a doubt knows the odds are stacked against him each and every year. I know he loves his community and those kids. He took on the task of head coach because he hated to see the program in the state it was in. Where does he go from here? He could go 6-4 or 7-3 every year, never win a playoff game, district/regional title and people would still say that he's doing a great job with the numbers he has. Will that be his career or will he go to a bigger school? Time will tell.

One thing is for certain. No coach in this area does it for the money.

20 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Disclaimer:  I'm not a coach, but if life allows me more time in the future, I'd love to coach little league. Working on the fundamentals, knowing that it will pay off when they reach varsity.

I think the #1 reason that coaches do what they do and put up with what they do, is the love of the sport and wanting to stay connected in some way. The #2 reason would have to be love of their community.

Some do it for ego I'm sure. Those are the ones that apply for and take any job they can to get started. Try to prove themselves enough for the next "bigger" job until they're where they want to be. Then, they try to win as much as possible to get noticed so they can keep climbing the ladder. I think Thad Wells fits nicely into this category. I'm not saying anything is necessarily wrong with that, but it's probably more ambition than love of the community.

In most people, there's an innate desire for a challenge. What, specifically, that challenge is varies from person to person. Maybe it's state titles, maybe it's building a program or mentoring young men to prepare them to be responsible adults. Whatever that challenge is keeps them going.

Take Keith Warner at TS for example. What are the odds that he wins a state championship with such a low enrollment? He's done wonders there, and without a doubt knows the odds are stacked against him each and every year. I know he loves his community and those kids. He took on the task of head coach because he hated to see the program in the state it was in. Where does he go from here? He could go 6-4 or 7-3 every year, never win a playoff game, district/regional title and people would still say that he's doing a great job with the numbers he has. Will that be his career or will he go to a bigger school? Time will tell.

One thing is for certain. No coach in this area does it for the money.

Thank you for the response. Warner at Twin Springs is the prototype of the one example of my question. 

Your disclaimer (and thank you) reminds me of another observation or reason and you may be one of the exceptions, but many coaches often are coaching their children which is or can be a concurrent goal, but sometimes is at the expense of the team (“daddy ball”). This isn’t a bad thing when the whole is made better due to the presence of a truly benevolent coach/dad. It’s when the line is blurred when it possibly reflects nepotism rather than talent. My perception is very few are doing it solely to teach or give back or for the love of the game. 

(This post isn’t to throw rocks. I have both coached little league to give back and also as a way to do so while spending time with a child. I am particularly interested in the non-parent perspectives.)

Edited by tornado99
Clarification

4 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Thank you for the response. Warner at Twin Springs is the prototype of the one example of my question. 

Your disclaimer (and thank you) reminds me of another observation or reason and you may be one of the exceptions, but many coaches often are coaching their children which is or can be a concurrent goal, but sometimes is at the expense of the team (“daddy ball”). This isn’t a bad thing when the whole is made better due to the presence of a truly benevolent coach/dad. It’s when the line is blurred when it possibly reflects nepotism rather than talent. My perception is very few are doing it solely to teach or give back or for the love of the game. 

(This post isn’t to throw rocks. I have both coached little league to give back and also as a way to do so while spending time with a child. I am particularly interested in the non-parent perspectives.)

I have no sons, and my daughters are grown, so it definitely wouldn't be daddy ball. haha

I remember my little league coaches very well to this day. Two of them did have kids on the team, but neither showed favoritism and both coached long before and well after their sons were in the league. I thought they were all great examples of coaches, especially at that level. Kind, mentoring, tough but not harsh. They taught great fundamentals and challenged us to do better. I've always felt the need to repay that. I think I'll be able to in a few more years as things slow down....I hope!

4 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I have no sons, and my daughters are grown, so it definitely wouldn't be daddy ball. haha

I remember my little league coaches very well to this day. Two of them did have kids on the team, but neither showed favoritism and both coached long before and well after their sons were in the league. I thought they were all great examples of coaches, especially at that level. Kind, mentoring, tough but not harsh. They taught great fundamentals and challenged us to do better. I've always felt the need to repay that. I think I'll be able to in a few more years as things slow down....I hope!

Good luck to you. My experience in growing up was similar to yours in both little league and school, but 1/2 or so of mine did not have kids on the team. 

Coaching is a thankless job. It’s very time consuming and you really got to love it to do it. I’ve seen through the years where guys would coach cause their kid was playing and then move on when the kid did. I don’t think that’s right but just my opinion. Several years ago I coached little league basketball and though it took a lot of my time I enjoyed it except for the parents and other adults! Lol The kids were great and fun to be around. Adults took it to seriously! I was smart and retired the year we won the league championship! Lol  As one longtime successful football coach use to tell me, the higher up in the bleachers you go the smarter they get! ( insert sarcasm here ) I respect anyone that wants to give up their time and coach especially locally cause you know they really want to be there and help the kids learn!

4 hours ago, tornado99 said:

My perception is very few are doing it solely to teach or give back or for the love of the game. 

I think you mentioned D. Palmer in another thread. I truly feel like he’s one of those few to whom you’re referring . I’m sure there are others sprinkled throughout SWVA & even at Graham just like him such as Rex Bradshaw. To me they must truly just love football & coaching. Even when Tony Palmer started his kids were little. Granted they’re playing age now but weren’t then. I think these guys just love it & like competitive aspect of it too. 

Disclaimer: I’m not a coach nor a parent. 

I will add one more thing. A coach has to love working with kids/young adults because they can really try your patience. Haha

Coaches that I have observed belittling, yelling at, shaming or cussing out kids have absolutely no business working with kids because they're not doing it out of a love for anything. 

I can only speculate that they do it because they want to exert power over another human being, are trying to make up for insecurities from childhood, or just trying to get attention or become famous. Could be all or other reasons. If they act that way, the only thing for certain is they're not doing it for the right reasons.

33 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think you mentioned D. Palmer in another thread. I truly feel like he’s one of those few to whom you’re referring . I’m sure there are others sprinkled throughout SWVA & even at Graham just like him such as Rex Bradshaw. To me they must truly just love football & coaching. Even when Tony Palmer started his kids were little. Granted they’re playing age now but weren’t then. I think these guys just love it & like competitive aspect of it too. 

Disclaimer: I’m not a coach nor a parent. 

Confirmed, he is one of those examples, that I honestly believe loves it and enjoys the game and working with those students. Without speaking for them and their motives, he and others made a positive impact on my life and I appreciate it, whether by design or a byproduct. I was obviously not a part of a state title team (district, yes), but the pressure couldn’t have been as much to win at time as lately and now.