Heard Carroll Co. coach resigned

60minuteMan

I can confirm. Monty Chipman resigned as coach on Friday. In his time at Carroll, he managed a 10-26 record. He will remain in the school system as a teacher. 

Carroll is a tough sell. The students are spread so far across the county with some challenging terrain to navigate to get to Hillsville. Traditionally, the majority of athletes at Carroll come from within a 10 mile radius of Hillsville. A lot of the kids below Fancy Gap in Cana go to Mount Airy. Kids in Austinville go to Fort Chiswell. Many beyond Sylvatus and Dugspur go to Floyd. 

Carroll is a mess transportation wise the further away from I-77 you get. 

• 4 weeks later...

Carroll County has hired Seth Greer as the new head coach. Greer will be the first CC alumnus to coach the football program. According to the newspaper article, Greer was also offered the Floyd County head coaching position but chose to come home to Carroll.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Carroll County has hired Seth Greer as the new head coach. Greer will be the first CC alumnus to coach the football program. According to the newspaper article, Greer was also offered the Floyd County head coaching position but chose to come home to Carroll.

Best wishes to Greer.  Also, big sack move in my opinion coming home to Carroll County which sounds like for the reasons you pointed out a tough place to win. I hope he can get them going.  Carroll needs to get those kids back from Cana and keep them at home instead of Mt. Airy because there's a lot of country hams in Cana, and they are probably losing some big boys along the line of scrimmage to Mt. Airy.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Best wishes to Greer.  Also, big sack move in my opinion coming home to Carroll County which sounds like for the reasons you pointed out a tough place to win. I hope he can get them going.  Carroll needs to get those kids back from Cana and keep them at home instead of Mt. Airy because there's a lot of country hams in Cana, and they are probably losing some big boys along the line of scrimmage to Mt. Airy.

Kid from Cana scored the last touchdown for Mount Airy in the state championship game.

I’m not sure how feasible a second high school would be in Carroll County. The issue is more terrain than anything else. Cana sits at an elevation bellow 900 feet. Hillsville sits in something of a bowl near 2,800 feet with the surrounding countryside well above 3,000 feet. 

With Lovers Leap Mountain bordering Patrick County to the east, Lambsburg Mountain to the southwest, and Fancy Gap Mountain to the southeast, those 2,000 plus foot drops are treacherous. 

Besides, I’m certain Carroll County couldn’t afford the additional staff a second high school would necessitate.