CalPreps projections for the State Finals

sixcat

CalPreps Class 1 final rankings. I don't agree with this at all. Essex was without question, the best Class 1 team Galax faced all season. Ranking them 4th is a joke. 

Rank School Rating (Rounded) Schedule Strength Opponents' W-L
1 Galax  5.7 -6.7 123-62
2 George Wythe 0 -13 88-70
3 Grayson County -1.1 -13.1 62-78
4 Essex  -1.5 -27.4 83-88
5 Honaker  -1.6 -20.8 87-73
6 Altavista -9.6 -22.4 88-72
7 Sussex Central  -11.4 -25.6 69-80
8 Patrick Henry -13.3 -26.1 63-70
9 Fort Chiswell  -14.3 -15.1 77-63
10 Rye Cove  -14.8 -32.8 74-72

14 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

They are holding Essex down because of a weaker schedule. Which again proves your schedule has NOTHING to do with how good you are.

They are holding the East in general down for their schedule strength. Northumberland (14) and Lancaster (21) didn't even crack the top 10. They were both behind Giles, Rural Retreat and Narrows. Class 1 statewide was down but the east was WAY down. 

It's why Calpreps is not perfectly scientific.  Yes, it takes out personal opinions, emotions, etc, but a true scientific system would control for variables like schedule strength, injuries, past meetings with that school, etc.  Calpreps is fun and it's good, but it's only going by total scores-final scores across the country to make a prediction without controlling for the variables mentioned above.  A true-scientific study or research calculation to make a conclusion would control for multiple variables.  Essex vs Grayson County?  What does Calpreps say or guess, Grayson -3 points?  I don't even bet, but I would probably start betting if given that offer.  Essex all day long.

11 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Does CalPreps break down strength of schedule rankings for Class 1? I feel like Giles, Galax, and GW have to be at the top. 

1. Giles -6.6
  2. Galax -6.7
  3. George Wythe -13.0
  4. Grayson County -13.1
  5. Buffalo Gap -14.3
  6. Fort Chiswell -15.1

The MED hold 5 of the top 6 spots for strength of schedule in Class 1. Link should take you straight to the final rankings for Class 1.

https://calpreps.com/2023/ratings/Virginia_division.htm

3 minutes ago, sixcat said:
  1. Giles -6.6
  2. Galax -6.7
  3. George Wythe -13.0
  4. Grayson County -13.1
  5. Buffalo Gap -14.3
  6. Fort Chiswell -15.1

The MED hold 5 of the top 6 spots for strength of schedule in Class 1. Link should take you straight to the final rankings for Class 1.

https://calpreps.com/2023/ratings/Virginia_division.htm

Thanks man!

MED is the best Class 1 district in Virginia and it's been that way for a while now.  Radford, Glenvar, Bluefield, Graham, Tazewell are good football teams and these 5 schools certainly help the MED's schedule strength and deservingly so. 

I wonder if Galax's schedule played a part Saturday.  Seeing a Radford and Graham and Glenvar has to have some kind of meaning when facing Essex.  I don't know how much, but it has to factor in.  Seeing this type of quality and athleticism and lineplay certainly means Galax isn't going to be overwhelmed emotionally/mentally prior to kickoff.  They may win or lose, but they know they've seen some real juggernauts in the regular season that I think has to factor in.

I done the top 15 strength of schedule. Didn’t feel like doing anymore lol. 

1. Giles -6.6 (MED)
2. Galax -6.7 (MED)
3. George Wythe -13 (MED)
4. Grayson -13.1 (MED)
5. Buffalo Gap -14.3 (Shenandoah District)
6. Fort Chiswell -15.1 (MED)
7.  Rural Retreat -18.6 (Hogoheegee District)
8. Westmoreland -20.2 (NND)
9. Honaker -20.8 (Hogoheegee District)
10. Cumberland -21.6 (James River District)
11. Altavista -22.4 (Dogwood District)
12. Auburn -22.5 (MED)
13. Colonial Beach -23 (NND)
14. William Campbell -23.2 (Dogwood District)
15. Grundy -25.2 (BDD)

18 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I wonder if Galax's schedule played a part Saturday.  Seeing a Radford and Graham and Glenvar has to have some kind of meaning when facing Essex.  I don't know how much, but it has to factor in.  Seeing this type of quality and athleticism and lineplay certainly means Galax isn't going to be overwhelmed emotionally/mentally prior to kickoff.  They may win or lose, but they know they've seen some real juggernauts in the regular season that I think has to factor in.

That's exactly why Galax plays the schedule they play and will continue to do so. The Galax kids know they can handle four quarters of physical football. The question usually is, can their opponents. Essex didn't have an ounce of quit in them. Galax pounded on them for four quarters and those kids kept coming back for more. 

Galax graduates 4 seniors that saw action Saturday night. The starting center being the only lineman. Galax usually goes as the line goes so that should be solid next season.

12 minutes ago, sixcat said:

That's exactly why Galax plays the schedule they play and will continue to do so. The Galax kids know they can handle four quarters of physical football. The question usually is, can their opponents. Essex didn't have an ounce of quit in them. Galax pounded on them for four quarters and those kids kept coming back for more. 

Galax graduates 4 seniors that saw action Saturday night. The starting center being the only lineman. Galax usually goes as the line goes so that should be solid next season.

Difference between Galax and Grayson. Galax will be the preseason favorites and will actually back it up. 

6 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Difference between Galax and Grayson. Galax will be the preseason favorites and will actually back it up. 

Grayson's superintendent is frantically searching for another group of homeschool kids to play two grade levels below their age as we speak!!!

No one in the state lost their minds as bad as Kelly Wilmore (Grayson county superintendent) did when that field goal bounced over. Especially after stating that his coach when he hired them had never lost to Galax and wouldn’t in the future. 

2 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

No one in the state lost their minds as bad as Kelly Wilmore (Grayson county superintendent) did when that field goal bounced over. Especially after stating that his coach when he hired them had never lost to Galax and wouldn’t in the future. 

He actually threw the challenge flag for Essex after the kick.