Mnt 7 and SWD Player of the Year predictions?

Magic09

1 hour ago, Magic09 said:

Any thoughts on this?

Will be Garrett because he is a senior with Ethan Collins being runner up. SWD don’t really know who it will be. Could be Mozell from V High or it could be Lambert or Reece from Lebanon

In the M7, it should be Ethan Collins. He's the better overall player.  He finished the last two years above Garrett for POY.  Garrett will probably get it because he is a senior, which is wrong. SWD, in my opinion, it comes down between 2 players.  Reece from Lebanon and Mozell from Va High.  Arguments can be made for each.

1 hour ago, pakdastands said:

In the M7, it should be Ethan Collins. He's the better overall player.  He finished the last two years above Garrett for POY.  Garrett will probably get it because he is a senior, which is wrong. SWD, in my opinion, it comes down between 2 players.  Reece from Lebanon and Mozell from Va High.  Arguments can be made for each.

Garrett will get POY because GC finished ahead of Central and he is a senior.  That's not to say that Garrett isn't the better player anyways.  

18 minutes ago, Observer said:

Garrett will get POY because GC finished ahead of Central and he is a senior.  That's not to say that Garrett isn't the better player anyways.  

Not necessarily true. Last year in the Hogo they gave POY to Jake Hall who was on a PH team that finished third in the district

Garrett averaged one more point per game than Collins but Collins led M7 in assists and averaged more rebounds per game. You know, points are all that matters.  It could go either way.  Like I said Garrett will get it because he's senior.

Also almost pretty safe to say that Reece has POY locked for the SWD. Tim Hayes posted stats for some of the teams in the regional contests and the two guys with the most ppg is Mozell and Reece while Mozell is also averaging 4 assist. Reece is also averaging 4 assists to go along with 12.2 rpg 2.4 bpg and 2.1 spg. For anyone else wondering Collins and Garrett’s stats - Collins 20 ppg 8 rpg 5 apg (most aassist in the region from these stats) and also has two triple doubles on the year. Garrett 21 ppg 7 rpg

43 minutes ago, Stelley said:

Also almost pretty safe to say that Reece has POY locked for the SWD. Tim Hayes posted stats for some of the teams in the regional contests and the two guys with the most ppg is Mozell and Reece while Mozell is also averaging 4 assist. Reece is also averaging 4 assists to go along with 12.2 rpg 2.4 bpg and 2.1 spg. For anyone else wondering Collins and Garrett’s stats - Collins 20 ppg 8 rpg 5 apg (most aassist in the region from these stats) and also has two triple doubles on the year. Garrett 21 ppg 7 rpg

Just read that article and it says that Central has zero seniors and their JV won the championship. They will be interesting next year. 

36 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Garrett changes a whole lot of shots in the paint. That's a gigantic impact on the game defensively.

Shouldn’t that also correlate to him getting more than 7rpg

13 minutes ago, Stelley said:

Shouldn’t that also correlate to him getting more than 7rpg

No, it should not necessarily. A changed shot is a changed shot and it's one of those stats that's tough to evaluate. It's like a defensive end in football that gets tons of pressure on the QB and because of his pressure, the opposite defensive end might have just as many sacks or even more because the QB is forced to his side of the field to avoid pressure.

It's not just changed shots, it's the presence in the lane before a changed shot that forces a guard to pull up for a 10 footer instead of driving the lane. It's a gigantic factor. In the 3 times I watched GC, I see Garrett changing tons of shots at the 3 to 5 foot mark under the basket, and the shooter misses and the GC defender on the other side of the basket gets that rebound on the miss. A lot of that is due to Garrett's mobility. He can quickly "front" or approach defensively from under the basket and up to the foul line and change shots and he does it regularly. Just my opinions.

LeBron James in his career has averaged about 7.4 rebounds per game but is historically among the best at changing shots, forcing the defender to miss or tske an awkward shot. 

5 minutes ago, pakdastands said:

Every time I have watched them he stays outside the paint.  Only time I have seen him in the paint is if he is driving.

I'm not talking about offense. I'm talking about defense and that's the part that is often overlooked when we evaluate players. It's why Michael Jordan is the best to ever play the game with Labron James not topping Jordan because with them being close offensively dominant, Jordan was also among the greatest to ever play the game defensively.

Just now, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

No, it should not necessarily. A changed shot is a changed shot and it's one of those stats that's tough to evaluate. It's like a defensive end in football that gets tons of pressure on the QB and because of his pressure, the opposite defensive end might have just as many sacks or even more because the QB is forced to his side of the field to avoid pressure.

It's not just changed shots, it's the presence in the lane before a changed shot that forces a guard to pull up for a 10 footer instead of driving the lane. It's a gigantic factor. In the 3 times I watched GC, I see Garrett changing tons of shots at the 3 to 5 foot mark under the basket, and the shooter misses and the GC defender on the other side of the basket gets that rebound on the miss. A lot of that is due to Garrett's mobility. He can quickly post defensively from under the basket and yp to the foul line and change shots and he does it regularly. Just my opinions.

I’ll agree with you but I don’t exactly remember him staying in the paint and rarely playing help defense and when he has the only guard I’ve seen that doesn’t seem to be bothered by Garrett’s size is Ethan Collins and that’s why I feel like Collins is the best player in the region. Not trying to knock Garrett at all he is a great player with a tremendous amount of athleticism and is probably tied for second with Reece in the region. But unfortunately since it’s politics he will get it because he is the most talented senior in the region while Collins is a junior and Reece is a sophomore 

5 minutes ago, Stelley said:

I’ll agree with you but I don’t exactly remember him staying in the paint and rarely playing help defense and when he has the only guard I’ve seen that doesn’t seem to be bothered by Garrett’s size is Ethan Collins and that’s why I feel like Collins is the best player in the region. Not trying to knock Garrett at all he is a great player with a tremendous amount of athleticism and is probably tied for second with Reece in the region. But unfortunately since it’s politics he will get it because he is the most talented senior in the region while Collins is a junior and Reece is a sophomore 

No disagreement from me if Collins got POY. Both are worthy in my opinion and again, a strong case can be made for both imo. As for Reece, I feel he's the best in the region. Just my opinion though.

14 hours ago, Stelley said:

Will be Garrett because he is a senior with Ethan Collins being runner up. SWD don’t really know who it will be. Could be Mozell from V High or it could be Lambert or Reece from Lebanon

Team wise, Mozell has a lot of weapons around him. Lebanon has 2 guys in the running and the rest of the team has been pretty mediocre from what i’ve read. 2 kids have seemed to carried the load the entire season.

3 hours ago, Comegetsum said:

Ray from graham should be swva player of the year.  Why nobody mention him!!

If there was such an award it would be because he’s only good at shooting meanwhile Reece is virtually 1st or 2nd in evert stat category in the swd

I think last night's games proved who the M7 POY should be.  Gunner Garrett showed up big time when his team needed him and finished with 33 points.  I watched the entire Central-Graham game and Collins was an absolute non-factor; didn't score his first points until the end of the 2nd quarter and was a liability on defense.  Horne carried the Warriors with 25 points.  Next year will be interesting on the hill when the Hayes kid is added to the mix.  The combo of him and Horne might be the best duo we've seen in our area in a few years.

6 minutes ago, Observer said:

I think last night's games proved who the M7 POY should be.  Gunner Garrett showed up big time when his team needed him and finished with 33 points.  I watched the entire Central-Graham game and Collins was an absolute non-factor; didn't score his first points until the end of the 2nd quarter and was a liability on defense.  Horne carried the Warriors with 25 points.  Next year will be interesting on the hill when the Hayes kid is added to the mix.  The combo of him and Horne might be the best duo we've seen in our area in a few years.

I agree last night probably sealed it for Garrett.  Collins still ended up with a double-double.  Hayes moving up with Horne then factor in Collins, who led M7 in assists, will be dangerous.