Region 1D and 2D Region Tournament Boys Scores and Updates

• BandanaVTDavis4321 changed the title to Region 1D and 2D Region Tournament Boys Scores and Updates

Final from Bluefield.  Graham 71, Central-Wise 56. The Ray kid from Graham took the game over.  He was the difference maker in the game with his ability to win off the dribble in one on one situations against man to man defense at the 5 second line and drive the lane either scoring or setting up shots for teammates.  Heck of a performance by Ray.

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

Eastside won big, Abingdon girls won big. 

Girls, Eastside girls. 

GC was up five at half, can’t find a final. Okay up seven at fourth for GC thanks for update.

Caroll County girls won too

Just now, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

55-49 GC over Marion with just over 6 minutes left in the game.  Marion just cut it to 3 before a GC three pointer.  Marion is scrappy as hell.  No other way I can describe them.  Not big, but just quick and scrappy as all get out.

Not a great night for the M7. RV and Wise got easily defeated, Union barely escaped at home and GC is in a tight battle with Marion. Could end up an all SWD final, I can’t see Union beating VHS while Graham can go into GC and win. 

Final.  GC 70  Marion 65

I have no idea who wins with Graham and GC.  It's at GC so got to favor the home team, but the Graham team tonight.....keyword.....tonight looked 8 to 9 points better than the GC team I saw in the second half.  Graham is way more athletic than GC, but GC will have the advantage with Garrett inside.  For Graham, the key in my opinion is getting the point guard Ray to penetrate off the dribble and for GC, I know they like to put Garrett outside of the paint on many of their offensive possessions, but this is a game where I think GC should strongly consider putting him underneath the basket more on offense to use the height advantage against Graham. 

GC has had the least amount of success this year against the smaller, quicker, guard oriented teams and Graham def fits that bill. 

Union is guard heavy and beat them once and had them on ropes at GC, Marion kept it close with good guards so Graham is a tough matchup. GC does better with bigger, physical teams like Wise so Graham has to have some confidence going in, even on road. 

2 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

SWD & M7 teams needs to start playing some regular season games in the future.

Union played a couple this year in the Wise tourney but it does seem like the districts avoid each other before the tourney. May be a strategic decision.