Top Ten Richlands Bench-A-Thon Records

I know two things as far as benching record go..

1. The richlands "bench-a-thon" is a joke. Those kids do well but even former players from richlands will tell you that most of those numbers are pencil whipped big-time! I wouldnt buy into any of those numbers, especially the high ones.

2. I'm almost certain that the area record belongs to Danny Sparks of Tazewell. Coach Simon told us he benched 510 lbs back in 1994 for the Bulldogs. Thats NFL impressive, if you ask me. Did he go anywhere and play big-time college football??? Because he should have...I remember watching him play. A man among boys.

[ QUOTE ]

Danny Sparks was a tremendous football player. But he did not bench press 510 lbs. Talk about pencil-whipped. I know in '94 the top bench was McCommons with 385lbs. I was second with 365 lbs. Those number were not whipped with anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just what Coach Simon told us one day in the weightroom. I know the Sparks boy was strong. Isn't he the one who put the monstrous cut on Mccommons face after Sparks hit him during one game?? Everyone said the hit caused mccommons to blackout for a few mins.....that must've been a huge hit.

Danny Sparks did not bench 510 lbs....but he did bench 490 lbs in 1995, not 1994. I know this to be true bc I saw him do it. He is my older brother so I know that he did not bench 510 lbs but he did bench 490 lbs in 95 right before his senior yr started.

[ QUOTE ]

Ahh I see. The Richlands numbers are "pencil whipped" but if Coach Simon says someone benched over 500 pounds it must be true...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just telling you guys what he told us. But seriously, I know quite a few former richlands players and everyone says that those numbers the coaches put in the newspaper before football season begins, are almost all pencil-whipped. And i know how die-hard those richlands fans are about their team and they wouldnt say anything against their team if it werent true. I'm not trying to down the boys from r-lands, I'm just saying what several of them have told me.

The reason that most of Tazewell's weight lifting records have been lost is because when Harris Hart became head coach in 1997, he erased almost all of the lifting records that had already been established. He did so because some of them seemed unattainable to the younger players and he did not want to psych them out. Dumb move by Hart, in my opinion but I was only a soph when he did that so I didnt have much say. But honestly, I dont know much about the other records or about the bench-a-thon at richlands but I do know that my brother had the bench record at Tazewell with a lift of 490 lbs in july of 1995. I know because i was a freshman at that time and I saw the lift. Coach Litz went wild....lol....it was a funny site and I must say, I was extremely proud of my brother for breaking that record and then extremely dissapointed when the records were erased in 1997.

Danny Ray was the man, played 3 years with him at Tazewell with many times lineing up on the other side of the ball from him practice and looked up to the big guy as well!!! Becasue if he was to go out of the game I had to come in and replcae him. Danny would have made it far in Football but like the man he is he put his family first. And btw I was also there that day he benched pressed 490!!!

This thread has come up many time. Here is the outcome every time: RHS qb and rb's all beanch over 450 lbs and the line benches around 500 - 600 lbs. its a joke!!!

I think only one player benched over 400. If you don't think McCracken and Jennings can bench the reported weight you haven't seen them play.

Richlands has won

12 consecutive games

29 consecutive regular season games

14 consecutive SWD games

36 of last 39 games

21 of last 26 SWD games

3 consecutive SWD Championships

3 Consecutive Region IV Championships

5 consecutive over Graham

3 consecutive over Tazewell

6+ consecutive over Grundy

3 consecutive over Carroll County

Last two teams to beat Richlands were State Champions!

It starts in the weight room. Perhaps the other SWD coaches should start "pencil whipping" their numbers too?!?

[ QUOTE ]

I think only one player benched over 400. If you don't think McCracken and Jennings can bench the reported weight you haven't seen them play.

Richlands has won

12 consecutive games

29 consecutive regular season games

14 consecutive SWD games

36 of last 39 games

21 of last 26 SWD games

3 consecutive SWD Championships

3 Consecutive Region IV Championships

5 consecutive over Graham

3 consecutive over Tazewell

6+ consecutive over Grundy

3 consecutive over Carroll County

Last two teams to beat Richlands were State Champions!

It starts in the weight room. Perhaps the other SWD coaches should start "pencil whipping" their numbers too?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

i love those stats

Nice reply Big D. That should silence the Non-Believers. I think the McGlothlin brothers got 400+. Elliott Joyce, Jeremy McCommons both were over 400 lbs. Too many too mention over 350lbs. Blu, have you ever heard the term "...it starts in the weight room."

[ QUOTE ]

Those stats are not really impressive until there in the playoffs beat graham is the only accomplishment to brag about. PLAY THE BEAVERS !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the team that Graham rolled?

Tazewell always has some big guys...Luke Dales was the last monster from the weightroom Grundy had..I would guess he benched high 3's...I think Josh "Pugs" McCoy who graduated in 2000 holds it. The coaches always said he got like 450? He was a BEAST..not all that big, not the best player, but he was a man..

• 1 month later...