RHS Band?

Fresh_Prince

I have paid attention to the band my entire life cause when i was in 8th grade and freshman in high school my sister was the drum major of the band when there was dick p and then swartz and im pretty sure they didn't play on offense but that also goes to say that they never played at all while the actually game was in play..they would only play on breaks..which is fine cause other bands during that time didn't play during the actually play of the game just on breaks..only here in the past 3 years have i noticed that bands have started to play while a team is ready to snap the ball..i like the fact that they do that..but the richlands has not done this ONE time this year..they have never played during a snap.. i sit in season ticket holders and its right beside the band..and its like they aren't allowed to do anything..which is not the kids falut at all..cause i know how controllive swartz is and how he can yell when he is loosing his control cause i have seen it before...so i blame swartz that they don't play as much..or do they not play any fight songs...like when i was in high school..after we beat a team..we would sing the goodbye song..but not all we do is play the stick it in song and nobody wants to hear it play on the offensive side of the ball..i also heard from the coaches from richlands..that graham's band was so loud that is what disrupted the snaps during richlands..which congrats to grahams band for doing that..i just wish richlands would go with the times and start becoming more invovled to support the team than thinking that the band is separte from the Football team and think they have to do everything in the name of the "Richlands Honor Band" which im afraid to say..is not the band it was 5 years ago...but i again say thats not the kids falut..its the director..he needs to get his act together..

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, I don't think the band director is the reason they don't play more.

Also, I don't agree with your statement "they aren't the band they were 5 years ago". I think their every bit the band they were 5 years ago. Maybe not as big but just as good. I don't particularly care for the last two shows however. The 2003 and 2004 shows are hard to top. I can still hear "Prism" in my mind note for note.

Having very limited knowledge of the band, I just know it is cool when the band and crowd interact. An example, if you ever go to the Carl Smith Center and catch a UVA home game, they have a great routine after a UVA score. That’s my two cents, just nothing like those drums banging at a high school game!!

Speaking from personal experience the band can not always play when everyone in the crowd feels like they should be playing. The start of the second quarter starts with them getting ready for the half-time show. Which at this point in time is more important to them than playing for the crowd.

The past couple of years the band has gotten smaller than let's say 5 years ago but that has nothing to do with how talented these people really are or how they are doing and accomplishing many things that not every high school student gets to do. It's a shame that everyone only cares about the football team. Yes, they have and are doing great things but so has the band. May I remind everyone of last years season. I believe we went 54-0..we beat every band that we competed against. That's just as good as the football team.

I'm all up for watching football and supporting the team, but the band deserves credit too. These kids are really talented.

Good Job guys...I'm really proud of everything you have done!

[ QUOTE ]

Speaking from personal experience the band can not always play when everyone in the crowd feels like they should be playing. The start of the second quarter starts with them getting ready for the half-time show. Which at this point in time is more important to them than playing for the crowd.

The past couple of years the band has gotten smaller than let's say 5 years ago but that has nothing to do with how talented these people really are or how they are doing and accomplishing many things that not every high school student gets to do. It's a shame that everyone only cares about the football team. Yes, they have and are doing great things but so has the band. May I remind everyone of last years season. I believe we went 54-0..we beat every band that we competed against. That's just as good as the football team.

I'm all up for watching football and supporting the team, but the band deserves credit too. These kids are really talented.

Good Job guys...I'm really proud of everything you have done!

[/ QUOTE ]

what she said.

Swartz had been told a few years ago by Ms. Webb that the band was not allowed to play while the ball was in play for either team. Refs have actually threatened to flag the football team if the band played during a snap. Obviously, the refs at the Richlands/Graham game didn't care, and the band could have played, but they just never have since the said incident.

[ QUOTE ]

Refs have actually threatened to flag the football team if the band played during a snap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you've been told that but I checked and there is no such rule. The only thing the officials would flag a team for is if someone in the stands were blowing a whistle.

It took me a while to figure out why the band doesn't play more but I did and I don't like it.

I would like to say thank you to the band for playing the entire game today. However, the HV band owned you guys lol. Im only kidding. but I think you guys would even admit that they were awesome in the stands. Their variety of music and the way they got into thier songs made the game very exciting. But honestly, thanks to the Richlands band for playing you hearts out today and showing all of those that think the band is only there to perform thier show, that you all actually care about the game. you guys definetly supported your team today. Thank you.

Does Richlands still play "Hey Baby"? I honestly haven't paid much attention to what they're playing this year other than "Big Blue" and some of the percussion stuff. I think I remember hearing "The Hey Song" and "Gonna Fly Now" Saturday. I've always thought they should drop any song that other bands play and go with more obscure stuff that they can make their own (worked for Metallica). I also think they should bring back "Prism" as their signature song.

I dont recall Richlands playing "Hey Baby" this season, and they also havnt played alot of the songs that they played back when I was in band. We used to play a song from the Yee-Haw show, "...And Pfft you were gone" It was alot of fun. We also played the Rocky theme, jump, jive and whale, smoke on the water, and many others. Also, one of my favorite things was we would play the tennessee waltz after every game, it was great. One of the things i have truely missed in the past four years is that the band no longer does the pregame where they march down the field playing big blue, then they play the star-spangled banner, and then form the tunnel for the team to run through. That was my favorite part of the football game when i was a memeber of the band. I hav noticed over the past four years since i have graduated that the band has seemed to focus more on their competitions (which is fine, they deserve it) while kinda slacking on their stands music. This is not a shot at the band students or the director, it is just something that has happend over the years as the band has became more, and more successful in competition. Either way, i am proud to have been part of the band, and the band continues to make me proud to be from Richlands...congrats on another great season.

[ QUOTE ]

Does Richlands still play "Hey Baby"? I honestly haven't paid much attention to what they're playing this year other than "Big Blue" and some of the percussion stuff. I think I remember hearing "The Hey Song" and "Gonna Fly Now" Saturday. I've always thought they should drop any song that other bands play and go with more obscure stuff that they can make their own (worked for Metallica). I also think they should bring back "Prism" as their signature song.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you say that man. Speaking of obscure, I was sitting at the GIles PV game last Saturday & had to laugh at the situation. THe game was well in hand for the Spartans & i had noticed that both the Giles & PV bands were playing. I chuckled to myself & thought "Where in the world can you go to hear one band playing a song by the White Stripes & another playing a song by Black Sabbath?" Your "obscure" comment just made me think of that.

I miss the pregame too. It revved the crowd up before the team came out... BUT the Blues haven't lost a game at Ernie Hicks since the last time it was done (did they do it at the 2004 Salem game?) so I can live without it. Maybe if the team has a successful "Business Trip" this Saturday it can be reinstated.