Rich Rodriguez to Alabama?

BigD4VT

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Over $2,000,000 per year for arguably one of the most prestigious jobs in college football. If they offer he goes...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know Coach Rod personally??

You don't have to know someone personally to know the kind of money Alabama can offer is way more than he will ever make at WVU. I appreciate his love for his alma matter but I'm also sure most people put their family (not to mention career ambitions) first when making this kind of decision. Frank Beamer was at the top of their list a few years ago and if not for the fact they had just been placed on probation he probably would've taken the job. The opportunity to more than double... if not triple your income is just to great to turn down.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

You don't have to know someone personally to know the kind of money Alabama can offer is way more than he will ever make at WVU. I appreciate his love for his alma matter but I'm also sure most people put their family (not to mention career ambitions) first when making this kind of decision. Frank Beamer was at the top of their list a few years ago and if not for the fact they had just been placed on probation he probably would've taken the job. The opportunity to more than double... if not triple your income is just to great to turn down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which brings up the question, what is love?? If he truly loved WVU would he take money over it? If you truly loved your wife would you cheat on her with someone who is hotter?

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

He has taken the mounties as far as they can go. The lure of the SEC will make it even harder to turn down. But they have not made an offer, there are bigger fish out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as they can go?? lol He took them to a BCS bowl. Do you know how many teams wish they had the opportunity to do that. If you can take a team that was young to a BCS game and physically beat up the SEC champions then he could take it a few notches higher with an experienced team and win it all.

That is why they were picked to be in the championship game this year. They blew it. Heck even Virginia Tech is young this year and still won ten games. The lure of The SEC. I am not a fan of the SEC, but they do play better ball top to bottom than the Big East.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which brings up the question, what is love?? If he truly loved WVU would he take money over it? If you truly loved your wife would you cheat on her with someone who is hotter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Love is what you have for your family. Setting them up with that kind of security will be very hard to resist.

Published: November 28, 2006 06:43 pm

Where there’s smoke, there’s a booster plane

Could WVU’s Rodriguez be headed to Alabama?

By Dave Morrison

Sports Editor

I never put much stock in the world or the word of Internet, where you can say anything without attribution. Got a rumor, blog away.

West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez knows what I mean.

He has been linked to every coaching vacancy that’s opened in the last three or four years, and with good reason. His team wins football games with an innovative power-spread offense that until Saturday against South Florida hadn’t been stopped in over two years.

That said, all those rumors were just that, rumors. And I never paid much heed as jobs like LSU, South Carolina, North Carolina, Miami and others came and went and Rodriguez continued to turn his alma mater into an elite program.

Then there is Alabama  which officially fired coach Mike Shula, a former Crimson Tide quarterback, late Sunday night.

Unlike the other coaching jobs, this one has feet.

And not just because of a blog on the Birmingham News reporting that Alabama is already talking a five-to-seven-year deal for Rodriguez worth a reported $2 million annually.

And not because Alabama can easily afford Rodriguez’s $2 million buyout at WVU. That’s chump change for the Tide’s loaded boosters  literally and figuratively.

And not because Rodriguez dismissed the claim with “it’s just a rumor.†That, coach, we know.

There is also this little nugget: I have the actual flight log  the Smoking Gun, if you will  of a plane, registered to the “Tide Pride†boosters that landed in Greenbrier County Sunday morning.

The plane left Tuscaloosa, Ala., at 7:19 a.m. CST and landed at Greenbrier Valley at 9:32 a.m. EST. It left Greenbrier Valley at 10:02 a.m. EST and landed at Tuscaloosa Regional at 10:27 a.m. CST. So this was no rich guy’s round of golf or stopping to refuel.

Somebody was being picked up, and this was all before Shula was officially fired. Maybe Mal Moore, the Alabama athletic director, was there taking a spa treatment before actually firing Shula?

The question is, for whom was the plane intended?

Was it Rodriguez?

Why not just land in Clarksburg or Pittsburgh, much more accessible than Greenbrier Valley.

Unless the plane was for Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer.

Yes, the 60-year-old, longtime Hokies’ coach is also linked to the job, although, like Rod, he has denied it.

“I don’t know where that got started, I’m pretty well set here (at Tech),†Beamer told the Daily Press of Newport News, Va.

Geographically, it makes more sense if the plane picked up Beamer.

Coaches are going to deny rumors, it’s an age-old game.

That’s what’s happened for most of the guys on Alabama’s short list: South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier, Louisville’s Bobby Petrino, Navy’s Paul Johnson, retired Wisconsin coach and current A.D. Barry Alvarez, Wake Forest’s Jim Grobe, Tulsa’s Steve Kragthorpe, Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban (the West Virginia native formerly at LSU), Rutgers’ Greg Schiano (also rumored heavily to be in line for the Miami job, where he was formerly a coordinator) and Cal’s Jeff Tedford.

I just have a feeling about this one.

Trouble is, where there’s smoke, there’s a booster’s plane.

 E-mail:

demorrison@register-herald.com

Most of the time -- but not always -- seems like Bama likes to go with someone with at least some ties to the program. I think David Cutcliffe would be a good fit. I thought they 'raw-dogged' him at Mississippi. He's done well in helping out UT.

/ This picture I find amusing ... done by a couple of Auburn

fans. There is some truth there though - the fact that Bear's legend is so huge is why it is so tough for a new coach. Their shirts say: "The Bear is Dead."

Edit: I feel like an a$$ saying I find this amusing. I hope the Tide faithful realize I have tremendous respect for the Bear and his coaching. Auburn fans can be rough in this rivalry and I think they've hit the nail on the head here. Bama has to remember that past but move forward. 4 coaches in 6 years - that's tough.

aubearguyslr4.jpg

I highly doubt that coach rod will leave wvu. Although, money does mean alot to many people I still dont see him leaving wvu. I never even heard that coach rod was a candidate for the job.....however, i did hear that beamer was the top candidate for the bama job. I guess you never know whats going to happen but honestly, if you were coach rod and you had the team that wvu has right now....would you leave?? probly not. wvu will be ranked in the preseason top 5 maybe even top 3 next season. No way coach rod leaves with that sort of talent coming back next year.

Beamer's name has been mentioned the last 3-4 times Alabama has hired a coach but he's 60 years old now. Once his current contract is up at Tech I expect him to retire, and besides, he's already making $2,000,000 per year and the leverage of being mentioned at places like Alabama, Clemson and UNC is the reason he's making that much. So if Rodriguez doesn't leave I bet he will get a raise.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I'd take less money to get out of Morgantown....Go Hokies!

[/ QUOTE ]

and you people think WVU fans start this stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]

WOAH now!

what does YOU PEOPLE mean?

lifetime ban for you!