J.I. Burton High School article with video

Justin_Credible

Every time I see that video, makes me a little sicker. Not sure what the official was looking at, if you watch the second video, watch the kids from Riverheads when the two point attempt gets knocked down incomplete. Looked like more excessive celebration to me. Geeeeeeezzz. This is so bad for both schools, Burton because they feel cheated, and Riverheads who will walk a way with championship rings but by no fault of their own will have a tainted title. I feel sorry for the kids.

I heard the talk on VirginiaPreps and didn't think much of it. But that is horrible. He was reaching for his flag a second or two after the QB crossed the goal-line. You could watch 10 games and you'd see more celebration than that in 9 of them, and all would go uncalled.

I can't even stand to watch that clip anymore. Now I'm from Tennessee, so when I go to a game and see the officials AREN"T complete idiots, I'm shocked. But thats a bogus call, even by Tennessee standards... The ref who threw that flag is chicken shit. I can't think of anything to call him but pure chicken shit.

You can also go to WCYB.com in their archives it is on last Sunday at 6 broadcast, you will need real player but you can download it...haha if you are a football fan, you will be sick to your stomach watching it!!!

[ QUOTE ]

You can also go to WCYB.com in their archives it is on last Sunday at 6 broadcast, you will need real player but you can download it...haha if you are a football fan, you will be sick to your stomach watching it!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know i will be sick. I go to school at UVA-Wise, and I work at Food City, so I've heard all about it from all the Norton fans coming into the store. There was a big write up in the local paper (Coalfield Progress) about it and on the front page it showed all of the cheerleaders crying, a

Someone mentioned that same ref having a crooked smile on his face. Coach Adams also mentioned that he couldn't get anyone to own up to the call.

On one of the articles it has a Norton player crying.

I don't fault anyone from Riverheads. For all we know they may have in fact been the better team. But Burton was robbed of the chance to be.

Yeah that is what really bothers me. Riverheads did nothing wrong, and might have went on to win the game!! Now their State Title is tainted. Horrible call, officials should be held accountable for big mistakes, or at least obvious ones. Of course it doesn't get any bigger than taking the chance for a State championship away from 16, 17, and 18 year old kids.. Horrible.

[ QUOTE ]

Someone mentioned that same ref having a crooked smile on his face. Coach Adams also mentioned that he couldn't get anyone to own up to the call.

I don't fault anyone from Riverheads. For all we know they may have in fact been the better team. But Burton was robbed of the chance to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was flipping through the channels last night and happened to find the game on the local public access channel. And it was right at the play that the flag was thrown on. After the flag was thrown the coach for Norton called two refs over to him. One of the refs was definetly laughing in the coaches face. I'm not sure if he was laughing at the coach for being so upset, or if he was laughing at the situation because it was so rediculous. But he definetly had a big smile on his face.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was flipping through the channels last night and happened to find the game on the local public access channel. And it was right at the play that the flag was thrown on. After the flag was thrown the coach for Norton called two refs over to him. One of the refs was definetly laughing in the coaches face. I'm not sure if he was laughing at the coach for being so upset, or if he was laughing at the situation because it was so rediculous. But he definetly had a big smile on his face.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are kidding me!!! He was laughing? Wow, I hope that he wasn't laughing at the coach. Actually laughing at all, was at the least rude. Geeez this story just gets worse.

The program says "Only the best get the call"... Well "the best" must not have answered the phone because it doesnt look like they showed up in Harrisonburg (or Lynchburg either). There are too many good officials in Virginia for this type of thing to happen in a State Championship. The VHSL, rather than hand picking these guys, should use the highest rated CREWS based on feedback from coaches.

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder if each school got togethor and play a rematch type game would they get into trouble with the vhsl maybe just call it a scrimage type game so least each side could least have some type of resolution to the situation

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...thats gonna happen.

No, that will not happen. At best, the VHSL will look into it and pull all the officials certification. What ticks me of is that there is a certain bias against teams from Southwest VA. I think this should trigger a major shift in how the VHSL selects officials and championship games. Burton had to travel about 6 hours. I can't imagine how people involved in that call can sleep at night. I agee with Big D. If that is Virginia's finest, Virginia is in trouble. The VHSL should pay some bucks and get some NCAA officials. Someone shoud be held accountable for the Burton game. But, honestly I would be surprised if anything was done by the VHSL. Now if it was Salem.....

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder if each school got togethor and play a rematch type game would they get into trouble with the vhsl maybe just call it a scrimage type game so least each side could least have some type of resolution to the situation

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would Riverheads even consider that idea...they won the game and have the trophy and could care less whether a horrible call decided the outcome or not.

I think its an absolute shame that a penalty was called on that play and as many have said, the official should be held accountable. Odds are though, nothing will ever come of this except maybe a letter from the VHSL saying it was a bad call and wishing JIB better luck next time.

****Richlands fans: Don't crucify me for this next little bit...THANKS!****

If you think about it, that was about all that happened with Richlands and the cleat incident back in '92...yeh, Vaught got reprimanded and the team wasn't allowed to participate in the playoffs the next season but the team was still awarded the Championship. All Salem got was a letter from the VHSL confirming illegal equipment was used and wished them luck on the upcoming season. IMO, this is worse than what happened in the JIB game and there was never any consideration of letting Salem and Orange play for the Championship.