Richlands 73 Tazewell 53

GMan

TAZEWELL, Va. — Richlands used the Sherwin-Williams scheme Friday – the Blues stayed in the defensive paint to sketch a 73-53 Southwest District basketball win over Tazewell.

The Blue Tornado (2-4, 1-0) broke open a close contest with steady defense and strong play on the boards against Tazewell (2-11, 0-2). Austin Fuller and Chris Nichols worked underneath for RHS, aided by the perimeter work of Ben Mulkey and Connor McCall.

McCall kept the Tornado on track all evening as he dropped in 20 points for the winners. That proved to be a key when Tazewell came out firing in the early going.

Richlands led 14-8 before a trey from Jared Angles, Darrell Wess’ free throw and a three-pointer by Trey Lambert tied the score at 15-15. J. J. Johnson pushed Tazewell in front 19-18 but Mulkey came down on the next play and drilled another three, Richlands led 21-19 with 7:15 to go in the half, and never trailed again.

“Ben is steady, he always shows up for us,” noted Tornado coach Jimmy McGee.

Fuller and Clayburne alternated the heavy work inside as the Blues slowly but steadily increased the edge in the third quarter, opening a 10-point spread against the out-manned Bulldogs.

Fuller worked both ends of the court and dropped in 17 more ponts for Richlands.

Mulkey extended the Blues lead by opening the fourth stanza with a pair of free throws and a layup sandwiched around Brett Clayburne’s freebie as Richlands went ahead by 19, 57-38 with 6:45 to play.

“We extended their (Tazewell’s) shooters a little further out than they wanted to be,” said McCall, “but they still made some long shots. We had a tough tournament down at Twin Valley which helped prepare us.

“We circled this game on our calendar. You have to hold serve at home and try to steal a couple on the road. Getting a road win and a Southwest District win on the same night is big for us.”

Wess, who led THS with 11, and Lathel Mountain both hit double digits for Lee Walker’s Bulldogs, who battled gamely before falling. Mountain sparkled in the final minute, hitting a three-pointer, another basket, grabbing a rebound, and notching a steal to along with his 10.

“We have a young club,” said Walker. “Maybe sometimes we think too much instead of just making plays that are in front of us. We’ll be OK. We’ll

keep working and we will keep getting better.”

Tazewell was 9-for-21 at the stripe while Richlands converted 16-of-38 free throws.

Richlands has four games next week, beginning with a home contest Tuesday against Grundy in another SWD encounter. Tazewell hosts the Marion Scarlet Hurricane Tuesday.

RICHLANDS (2-4, 1-0)

Connor McCall 2, Ben Mulkey 20, C.J. Arms 8, Brett Clayburne 8, Austin Fuller 17, Chad Cole 2, Travis Blankenship 1, Derek McKnight 4, Chris Nichols 3.

TAZEWELL (2-11, 0-2)

Justin Sexton,Bill Cronce 7, Darrell Wess 11, J.J. Johnson 4, T. J. Taxley 6 Jared Angles 6, Trey Lambert 5, Lathel Mountain 10.

Richlands..........................18 18 16 21 — 73

Tazewell...........................17 10 11 14 — 53

3-point goals – RL 1 (Mulkey) 1; TZ 4 (Mountain 1, Lambert 1, Angles 1, Cronce 1. Fouled out –None.

Seems that Tazewell is playing better as the season goes on. It would have been easy for them to give up and stop trying after losing by 40 and 50 pts at the beginning of the season.

Austin goes STRONG to the basket, I think he killed just about everybody that got in his way!

haha

Richlands should be about 25 points better than they are now if they would just learn to play D and actually run an offense.

[ QUOTE ]

Basketball is at an all time low in Tazewell County.

[/ QUOTE ]

And will be going lower over the next several years...thanks TCSB...

quote directly from his myspace...lol

"Let's see here I'm about 6'2; 200 lbs. I play football and basketball. I have the most beautiful girlfriend in the world, Whitney. The only flaw she has is that she's from Tazewell, haha jp jp. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me, and probably the only thing I love more than football. haha. I couldn't ask for any more."

[ QUOTE ]

"Let's see here I'm about 6'2; 200 lbs. I play football and basketball. I have the most beautiful girlfriend in the world, Whitney. The only flaw she has is that she's from Tazewell, haha jp jp. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me, and probably the only thing I love more than football. haha. I couldn't ask for any more."

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the rest of that really necessary??

I wouldn't want my personal life posted.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Asshole.

thats so rude to put someones personal life on here!! what if he put yours it would say-- my name is blah blah blah im an asshole i post peoples information they put on myspace on a bulletin that dont even ask for it.

its not really postin his personal life if the guy has it on his myspace profile for everyone to see anyways, so obviously he doesnt care and wants people to read it cause its his choice of what he puts on his profile for everyone to see, so its not a big deal

Maybe his myspace is private and only his friends are allowed to see it.

Bottome line is that if he wanted to post it, he would.

He posted it on myspace, he wanted it there, but he obviously didn't want it posted on here.

It should not have been posted on this board by another member.

Can't you find something a tad more productive to talk or argue about than Fuller's myspace and his height. Who cares other than the three or four of you that are battling over this. Give it a rest and take your Fuller posters off your walls. Austin keep up the good work. Work on those boards and follow those shots and better things will happen. The season is early.