PV vs. Richlands

powellvalley_1

Richlands had a long standing series with Powell Valley up until a few years ago when the SWD and Highlands districts agreed to schedule each other in anticipation of a merger. An opening to resume the series was created when the Highlands was dissolved and two schools from the new CMD dropped Richlands from their schedules. As far as playing Burton, I don't know that either school has ever talked to the other about it.

Other then JI Burton being Single A and people always saying Richlands doesn't play anybody. I think it would be a great series for both schools.

I would personally rather see Richlands play Salem, C'burg, etc. That would throw the "Richlands has a weak schedule" myth out the window.

ummm we are in the southwest district which is known as the toughest district around here...we play the same teams that everyone else plays...we dont play teams from kentucky, or west virginia were football isnt that good like some others.....anyone that says richlands doesnt play anybody has either been beat by us or is to scared to step on the field with us

[ QUOTE ]

ummm we are in the southwest district which is known as the toughest district around here...we play the same teams that everyone else plays...we dont play teams from kentucky, or west virginia were football isnt that good like some others.....anyone that says richlands doesnt play anybody has either been beat by us or is to scared to step on the field with us

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh God! Here we go again!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol....i wish my buddy, tarterball, would quit posting and start practicing catchin drills for this fall...lol

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol....i wish my buddy, tarterball, would quit posting and start practicing catchin drills for this fall...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

lol lol i got ur catching drills down for sure.....u just be ready for them bluefield boys up there, i know they seem to rattle ur cage alittle....lol lol lol wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

PV is returning several key players. Especially in the backfield. Their QB Cedric Mitchell will be a senior and is very Michael Vickish. Has a great arm (Southpaw) and can scramble very very well. He took over as a sophomore after the graduation of Brad Robbins. I'm thinking he has thrown over 2,000 yards his sophomore and junior seasons and has also rushed for over 700 for both seasons as well. The Lusk kid will be okay after Mitchell graduates, but Kenny Burke which I'm thinking will be a sophomore, from what alot of us from Big Stone Gap has seen in him is much better than Lusk. If Dewey's boy gets the position it will be all politics. And yes the Pinkston brothers will be a sight to see next season. Malcolm will be a junior and Myron will be a sophomore. Malcolm has alot of speed and agility and Myron is a very straight up bullish runner. He looks very promising after watching him run the ball his freshman year. At Bullitt Park 2 seasons ago I think everyone in attendance was in AWE when they witnessed Malcolm (then a freshman) chasing down Tyler Parks from Gate City and taking him down at the 1 or 2 yard line. The Parks kid only had about a 25 yard lead and Malcolm just about had to come all the way across the field. The Gate City fans thought they had speed in their #20 until they saw what had just happened. GC's Parks is quick as a cat, but it's no comparison to Malcolm. I don't think I heard any of them (GC fans) cheering despite the fact Parks was a yard shy of a TD. Hopefully the Pinkston brothers will keep their heads on straight and not get into any type of trouble. But overall their best athlete on the field is Delmas Lawson (All-State). He will be a senior and can play anywhere on the field. He plays wide receiver, but saw time at tailback last year as well. And actually started and played QB the entire game against Clintwood during the regular season when Mitchell had to sit out. I believe he could play on the line if they needed him to.

Well anyway, enough rambling on just wanted to put my 2cents in. I'm looking forward to this matchup.

Hopefully chasing Mayo around all day in the state game will help prepare Richlands for Cedric Mitchell. They contained him very well, his overall stats were not good... but when you can scramble around as long as he did you're going to make some big plays. I'm looking forward to this game though since I've never been there. How's the lighting?

• 3 weeks later...

The lighting is pretty good at Bullitt Park. And finally they got some new visitor side bleachers. The previous ones were at 30-40 years old. Should be a whole lot more convenient and comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't heard that either. Being from Big Stone Gap, this is the first I've heard of that. And this being a football town I'm sure it would have already been talked about through the entire community. But this is news to me. Can you fill us in on what you may have heard????? Thanks.

POWELL VALLEY FOOTBALL

State Champs 82'85'89'90'94'95'97'98'

State Runner Up 04'

I've heard that too, from several in the Big Stone area. I work up there on a daily basis. As for the Pinkston's, if they continue with the spread offense they'll never be able to show everything they can do. As for some comparing them to the Jones boys, there will NEVER be another Thomas Jones and anybody that saw him play would agree.

• 2 weeks later...

The talk from Big Stone Gap is that Cedric Mitchell isnt going to be playing this season. There talking about putting Delmas Lawson at QB and going back to an I Formation with the Pinkston's brothers. I would like to see mitchell play for the showdown with richlands.

Yeah, I finally found out this past Friday. I was told that he would not be allowed to participate in any sports at all. Actually I'd like to see either Kenny Burke or Gil Lusk at QB if Mitchell's not playing. Delmas Lawson I think would be okay at QB, but I think he needs to be left where he has been (I guess one would say "ALL OVER THE FIELD"). HUGE PLAYMAKER, He's a great athlete, but give one of the other kids a shot first, then go from there.

Also, knowing Coach Robbins he probably will have some strings pulled to have Mitchell on the field. Don't know if it will be by the Richlands game or not, but I'm sure he'll be trying to get it done.

Oh yeah, we may never see another Thomas Jones in our area. The Pinkston boys are very good athletes, but I think the comparison needs to stop. Maybe if we actually see it, then maybe we can talk about it. Thomas and Julius were absolutely AWESOME. As far as high school goes, I give the edge to Thomas over Julius.