Bluefield/Pulaski County scrimmage report...

Bluefield_Rules

Bluefield's varsity march 70 yards in the final 32 seconds of the 3rd quarter on the PC varsity to get a come from behind 14-10 "win." David Perdue pulled in another great TD reception, in the same endzone as he did against Weir last November, to give the varsity the victory. The second string and JVs for both team were put into the game to play the fourth quarter. More details and thoughts later tonight...

My further thoughts go as follows. First, the most impressive displayed occurred in the warm ups prior the varsity game. Lucas Stone put on a kicking display that you’ll be hard to find on the high school level. He was booting punts, which wasn’t his strong suit last year, 50-60 yards. However, the most impressive thing was when connected on, get this, a 57 YARD FG. I’ve been watching high school football a long time now and I’ve never seen anyone come close to that. Heck, how many pro kickers can hit from 57 yards?

Pulaski County's line was HUGE; if Bluefield faces a line that big the rest of the season I'll be shocked. The defensive line did a good job for the most part against the size, using their speed and quickness to get around it. The offensive line struggled, especially running the football.

Defensively I thought Bluefield did a fairly good job at stopping PC. They gave up one long TD run of about 50 yards and everything else was inside of 10-yard gains. The Beaver defense stopped PC inside the 15-yard line three times on the night; twice on fourth downs inside the 10. Bluefield got good pressure when the QB did attempt a pass and forced a fumble on one of the sacks. PC didn't have much luck running the ball outside on Bluefield. The most and really only damage was done by their big, bruising fullback that made Jose Steele look small. Although one of my favorite plays was when little David Perdue picked up the FB off his feet, which was easily twice his size, and drove him backwards into the ground. Pound for pound I've never seen a tougher player than David Perdue. I would give the defense a B on the night considering the size of the Pulaski OL.

Offensively the Bluefield OL, which is totally different personnel from the DL and smaller, did struggle against the big PC DL, especially early on. Outside of a 30-40 Quentin Steptoe run Bluefield got no runs of more than 10 yards the entire night. The passing game was very effective, however, when Coeburn got the time he needed. The OL struggled somewhat with pass defense, but did a great job in the third quarter and especially on the "game winning" drive. Mike Davis, Quentin Steptoe, Lucas Stone, Tony Bland, and David Perdue all caught passes tonight. Stone had a eight-yard TD catch and Perdue got the 15-yarder to give the varsity the win over the PC varsity. Steptoe had the big catch of about 40 yards on the final drive to step up the go-ahead score. Pulaski stopped Bluefield twice inside the 10-yard line on the night and forced Beaver FG attempts. The first attempt, a 41 yarder was just left, and the second, a 38 yarder, was blocked. I would give the offense a C tonight. The two new kids on the line struggled tonight, but again PC was huge on the line.

Overall, I was satisfied with scrimmage from Bluefield’s POV. PC seemed to control the scrimmage from about the second quarter until the final Bluefield drive in the third quarter. However, once again the Bluefield seniors stayed cool and got the job done. Those seniors have seen it all in their four years and nothing seems to faze them. They have an air of confidence that regardless of the situation they know they’ll get the job done.

As for PC, they’ve got great size and very good athletes at the skill positions on offense and the back seven on defense. If they can find an outside running attack to compliment the inside running the bruising fullback they’ll be fine.

Bluefield’s freshman team lost 7-0 to what I guess what Pulaski County’s freshman team or JV squad. I was very impressed with #20 on the squad for PC. He has that “it†that all the outstanding running backs have. I don’t know his name, but PC’s future opponent better learn b/c the kid is going to be special. I was also impressed with Bluefield’s freshman QB, Eric McClanahan. The kid has a lot of confidence and a very good arm. He threw a beautiful deep ball of about 40 yards to #23 that hit him in the numbers, but was dropped. He threw a couple of other very nice passes as well that were dropped. If Bluefield can find people to catch the passes that kid will have a very nice career throwing the football.

In closing, I’d like to wish the best to the young man from PC that was injured late in the game and had to be taken off by ambulance. I was told that he slide into the fence post at the back of the endzone and got a stinger, but was expected to be fine. I certainly hope that is the case.

After 3 quarters of 1st stringers, it was 14-10 Bluefield. The final (4th) quarter was 2nd stringers, and I guess they kicked a couple FG's for the "final". Either way, I still call it a victory. There are a lot of new players and a lot of question marks for PC. But I felt the flow of the game was controlled by the Cougars. I'm very happy with the result.

Pushed around and the varsity still "won," pretty good huh? I was only concerned with the varsity results and Bluefield won that match up. If PC fans wish to say they won b/c their JV added six more points then that's wonderful, congratulations. I read somewhere else a PC fan claiming Bluefield scored on their second string on that final drive; what a joke. If PC had their second string in on that final drive then they had them for the entire scrimmage b/c it was the same players.

I know the Graham fans are licking their chops after last night, but I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Friday night is a totally different ballgame, one in which it starts to count. You've got to go toe-to-toe with Bluefield for four quarters and what happened against Pulaski means absolutely nothing come the 27th. So you better come strapped and ready for a battle next Friday night. Beaver/Graham week is here and enemy #1 is Graham right now, it's time to put up or shut up.

Just remember, Bluefield owns Graham, always have and always will. Trash talk week 2004 is here, so let the games begin...lmao

How can you say Bluefield won? They were physically manhandled by a team with a weeks less practice and this was the first time they had lined up 11 on 11 this year? I expected to see the Beavers blow PC off the ball and control the tempo of the game, only to see the Cougars sack the qb, force fumbles, intercept passes, and block punts. You had two first downs in the first two quarters. How is that winning? I dont know if that means the Beavers were more hype than substance or if Pulaski is just better than we have expected them to be, but I do know this: If Bluefield plays Graham like they played PC last night, the Beavers will be in for a long night. As for our line size, white jerzies make you look bigger, we dont have that big of a line this year. They are strong and fast, something I think may be much better for them. Still havent heard anything about Twine, the PC player who twisted/tweaked his neck on the fence defending a pass. If I hear anything I'll post it. Good luck to the Beavers this season, may it be succesful and as injury free as possible.

varsity scoring

BF TD 7-0

PC TD 7-7

PC FG 7-10

BF TD 14-10

PC FG 14-13

PC FG 14-16

"...always have, always will." Always have; I guess so, you own the series edge in numbers. Always will; impossible, you can't find a city in a faster state of rot than Bluefield, WV. Still plenty of wonderful people living there, but the downward spiral of infrastructure and population is astonishing. The two Bluefields are going in opposite directions, the talent pool is shifting, and so is history. If Graham takes it this year, then the jinx of not beating Bluefield for 3 consecutive years will be over in the near future. There has never been a class more poised to do this than the sophomores at Graham now.

ok if pc did win includin back ups, those 2 fgs they kicked were against no pressure, im not sayin there wasnt good cause he was a really talented kicker none the less its not that hard against no pressure, but it doesnt matter, u throw everything out the window for beaver graham game, there is no advantage for ether team, it comes down to who has the most points at the end of the game, thats pretty much plain and simple, so good luck to both teams in hopefully a hard faught battle with the better team winning

[ QUOTE ]

How can you say Bluefield won?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy, the scored 14 points to Pulaski's 10 points. As I said before if you want to take into account what happened in the 4th quarter with the JV teams then that's fine. However, for what I went to watch last night Bluefield "won."

[ QUOTE ]

They were physically manhandled by a team

[/ QUOTE ]

For a team that was physically manhandled the scoreboard sure didn't reflect that. Bluefield's varsity outscored the PC varsity by four. If you want to throw in the two FGs in the JV action then they only outscored Bluefield by two points. Not really that flattering for PC considering they "manhandled" Bluefield with such ease.

Additionally, the extra week of practice stuff is way overblown. A week difference in practice doesn't make that big of a deal, especially 11 days into practice for PC. Besides, PC had their coaches on the field holding their hand while Bluefield's coaches ran the game like a real game, from the pressbox and sidelines. I'm curious, does anyone know why Simon took the field and stood behind the Beaver offensive huddle in the third quarter of the scrimmage? I do, but I won't go there b/c I don't want to get something started.

[ QUOTE ]

If Bluefield plays Graham like they played PC last night, the Beavers will be in for a long night.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, but Graham doesn't the same size and physical guys on the line that PC did. This Friday night and next Friday night have absolutely nothing to do with one another unless PC is going to show up and play for Graham.

[ QUOTE ]

Still havent heard anything about Twine, the PC player who twisted/tweaked his neck on the fence defending a pass. If I hear anything I'll post it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do keep us updated on that. I hope it just looked bad, but really isn't. It's every coach's worst nightmare, lose a key player to injury in a meaningless scrimmage game. Just ask the Atlanta Falcons.

[ QUOTE ]

Good luck to the Beavers this season, may it be succesful and as injury free as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck to Pulaski as well, may they have the least amount of injures possible.

[ QUOTE ]

The two Bluefields are going in opposite directions, the talent pool is shifting, and so is history.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're so right. I mean Bluefield has only won six of the last eight games between the two, including the five straight. A decade ago they would have won at least seven of the eight and most likely all eight. Graham people have been talking about this shift in talent for a decade now. We on the WV side are still waiting on that to happen and still winning games.

I really dont think the score is that big of a deal anyway, but I will say this for both teams: good night of work, learned a few things, both can and should continue getting better. I miss the PC/Bluefield series. Being on the sidelines last night at Mitchell Stadium brought back some fond memories. Hoefully one day it can all get started up again.

Graham has won 2 of the last 3, Bluefield has won 1 of the last 1,.,.,. I know I started this, but we can argue when the growth/decline thing began until the cows come home. We can compare records, enrollment, property values, average income, etc., until we are blue in the face. Bottom line is that I hope every game between Graham and Bluefield is decided by less than a touchdown from now till eternity. After all, Bluefield is still my second favorite team. They both belong to a community split by a political line (what were you all thinking in the 1860's anyway grin.gif).

Just a few things. First, an extra week of practice is a HUGE difference at the high school level. and yes PC should have had its coaches on the field "teaching", since this was the first time our kids had lined up all season. This is a very young team, and a team without alot of players who have had much playing time. It was meant to be a controlled scrimmage, and you do that to teach, not win. As for the Beavers scoring on PC, you have to admit that the only TD they really had to work for was that great drive in the third period. The gift they got in the form of the snap over the punters head giving BF the ball inside the 10 yard line, and the fumble they recovered, again near the 10 or so yard line, should have been 14 for you guys. Instead it was 7. If PC continues to make mistakes like that it will be a long hard season. As for the manhandling, yes, the Cougars did manhandle the Beavers. The Cougars problem didnt seem to be in the offensive or defensive line, which I thought would be the big problem. The problems came when you guys started passing effectively against a team that doesnt see it alot. I think if your qb had gotten into a groove earlier, it could have been a different story, but the PC line kept pressure on him most of the night. Hopefully next week the defensive backfield looks at the tapes, make the proper adjustments, and remember how it felt seeing the ball go over their heads. I know why Coach Simmons took the field too, and in this situation I think it was the right move on his part. His team wasnt performing to his expectations, so he let them know about it and corrected it.

[ QUOTE ]

First, an extra week of practice is a HUGE difference at the high school level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree to disagree, but I do respect your opinion Dave.

Furthermore, PC did control the scrimmage for the majority of the game. When Bluefield finally made some adjustments things become more equal. Bluefield kept trying to run the ball up the middle and in a tight formation until the last part of the 3rd quarter. When they went to the spread offense, which I felt should have been done a lot earlier, there on that last drive of the 3rd Bluefield moved the ball with ease through the air. Although, I know Simon didn't want to show anything much about the offense considering who was there watching so it kept it simple.

I agree, the score doesn't really matter. What does matter is both teams know what they need to work on to get better, which was the entire purpose of the scrimmage. I expect to see a totally different Bluefield team next Friday night with a more diverse offense. I invite you to come out and watch a truly great rivalry game.

One of the reasons I used to love (and now truly miss) playing against Annacostia, DC and Eastern High School from the DC area was because they passed the ball almost every play. We used to play them right at the beginning of the season for a few years there. They may have run the ball 3-4 times per game. That made for a great work out for your secondary, and really got them ready. Our pass defense is going to have to step it up, otherwise people will get wise pretty quick and eat us alive. I'd love to be able to make the game, but I'll be working the chains part of the time at the Touchdown Classic and taking pictures or eating the rest of the time that night, so I'll have to take a rain check.

Why are we even debating this? This is a simple scrimmage yet it seems the PC crowd wishes to make a big deal out of it by debating that they techically won because of the JV. It doesn't matter to be honest, but if you want to go that route then we can. If Pulaski physically manhandled Bluefield as some are saying, explain to me how Bluefield was able to score 14 points on them while holding a very athletic PC squad to only 10 points. Dave, you're contradicting yourself by saying Bluefield is overhyped yet you make these extraordinary claims of how PC dominated them on both sides of the ball. If this is the case, they should have blown Bluefield out of the water and it is PC who is overrated. Size isn't everything in football and I think the PC/Bluefield scrimmage proves this very well. While we may lack in physical size, I can assure you that Bluefield makes up for that in their strength, speed, and altheticism.

I have no problems with PC and have nothing but the utmost respect for the excellent football program they have built, but lets not turn this into something it shouldn't be. What it was is a scrimmage where each team extered very little of what they're truly capable of and showed only a minor portion of their offensive/defensive playbooks.

Your misunderstanding me about the Bluefield being over rated comment. What I mean is this: i expected to come out and see the Beavers pretty well dominate the Cougars in this thing. You guys have alot of returning talent (according to what "they" say), are coming off of back to back trips to the state title game, and have been proclaimed by most to be on the road back to it again. PC was a week behind you in practice, this was their first live action, and lost alot of starters last year to graduation. That should have added up to a pretty one sided contest. The fact that it wasnt makes me wonder if Bluefield is being talked up too much, or if Pulaski may be better off than I was thinking they would be. You gotta admit, there are alot of expectations for the Beavers this year if you listen to "them". Also agree that neither team used much of its arsenal, just keeping it pretty basic and working out the kinks in the basic plays. I guess we'll see next week if Bluefield is for real when you guys take on the G-men. Good luck to both teams, somebody take some pictures.

I'm with you on this DAve, although we don't always agree. I spent most of the scrimmage near field level and Pulaski pushed Bluefield around. I was at the Graham vs Rockbridge scrimmage also, and I wasn't that impressed with Graham either. I think Bluefield has potential to beat Graham pretty soundly this season with their speed. PC just was too physical for Bluefield, Graham doesn't bring that physicality to the table this year.