here's an idea....

beaverball

I feel as though Coach Gainer should be honored along with Coach Chamara. Look at the records: 5 state titles. His record in the 60's was something like 94-6. Also, Blfd had at least two other undefeated seasons under him and was not voted the state championship by the sportswriters. Of course this was before the playoff format was put into place

I have one small concern about renaming Mitchell Stadium or any renovations of the like.

It involves the West Virginia bias in the names. Please do not misinterpret this: Gainer and Chmara both have been highly influential in the football realm, and I think both Bluefields were lucky to have such talents in the area; many young men throughout the decades were impacted by both fine gentlemen. However, Graham does share this stadium with Bluefield, and I find it oblivious at least and egotistical at most to name every portion of the stadium (which so far, it's been every) after Beaver legends. Graham has one by the name of Glynn Carlock that has 250 wins and a VHSL Hall of Fame spot who deserves some recognition in this process. Do not interpret this wrong: Gainer and Chmara were very fine men; however, Graham does share this stadium, and therefore, Graham should have some say-so in the naming process, regardless of whether the stadium is in West Virginia or not.

May God bless.

That's the one point I must concede to: the stadium is in West Virginia. However, the situation would be equal if facilities at Bowen Field were renamed after local Virginia celebrities. I wouldn't think that would be right, either. Graham changed its name to Bluefield to celebrate its "sisterhood" (or something like it) with its West Virginia neighbor. I believe naming privileges should be equal. First, the stadium is shared, and it borders on selfishness to name it after one team's influence. Second, Chmara and Gainer haven't influenced certain people, and for those influenced more by Virginian sources, this would be rather nice to celebrate each town's sisterhood.

well "bluefield" orioles are in bluefield west virginia...so that makes that west virginia's stadium and no bluefield virginia's.....i wouldnt care so much if graham made there own football stadium....i mean atleast both teams could say "now" they have there actuall own field...am i correct?

Actually Bowen field is in bluefield virginia... the state line is right there at basically the road up to the middle school... So Bowen field is in Bluefield Va. For you to say its not is totally wrong cause then you would be saying that bluefield college is in West Virginia to... which is obviously incorrect. And true Mitchell Stadium is in West Virginia but... Graham does pay to use it to and technically the stadium isnt BHS's either.... its basically just there to be used both teams pay to maintain it... So if you look at it this way when graham does use the stadium if they didnt think of it as part theirs they wouldnt keep it maintained when we use it we would leave it up to the West Virginia people to clean it. But yea I do agree that both of those coachs are fine men but so is Carlock and Bluefield should find it an honor to cause Carlock was part of Bluefield High Schools history to just to be bitter that a fine coach like Carlock went to Graham is in no need. But that is just my 3 cents.

Go G-Men!

G-Men Pride!

i didnt mean the bluefield orioles staduim was in va...i ment they are the bluefield west virginia orioles to a certin extenet...they have that on a web site ill send to you as soon as i can find it....they say bluefield "WV" home of the bluefield orioles

the city of bluefield w.v. ownes and maintains the whole city park even though half of it is on the va. side the beavers have some kind of contract with the city im sure. thats why g.h.s. is always on the visitors side when they play the beavers, thats why g.h.s. plays alot of sat. games, and thats why it is now chamara field.

had i hit the powerball tonite, this naming issue would have been put to rest b/c the NEW field and stadium wouldve been named after ME..if i hit the lotto big, after i get guarantess from the St Brd of E that Bluefield will remain BLFD and not be gobbled up by consolidation, the beavers wont even again need for anything, new field, new turf, new buses for travel, new equipment, new training room, id make sure they had the best of EVERYTHING, then again, the odds of me bein rich is very low...lol

The stadium lies in Bluefield, WV so the City of Bluefield would be well within their rights to name it whatever they wish, with or without the input of Graham. While allowing Graham to have some input in the naming would be the PC thing to do, it should ultimately be named after a Bluefield High legend if anyone and will one day I feel. Graham shouldn't mistake our courtesy for partial ownership of the stadium.

This isn't as cut and dry as a state line. The whole area between the west softball field at the park and the rescue squad building kind of exists as land that time forgot during the war of northern aggression. Kids of both towns have come together to grow up together on this neutral ground. If the time ever comes that the line through this sacred land ever becomes a true dividing line, then it will signal a terrible turn in the relations of our special community. Kids from both towns have made Mitchell a special field, and coaches from both towns have affected many kids, on both sides of the field. Chmara is indisputedly deserving of the recent distinction, and so is Gainer, and Carlock will be also. Mr. Simon hasn't done too bad, and has alot of years to go. The problem is that there is just so many things that can be named. So my point is that I have no point. For now, and forever, Chmara is properly recognized. Maybe over time someone will figure out how to properly recognize all those deserving. And may the G-Men and the Beavers continue to sanctify Southwest Va.'s and Southern WV.'s holy ground. And on a more fiscal note, I seriously doubt that either team would be able to afford the upkeep of the facility without the contributions of the other. It's symbiotic, we need each other.

you guys need us more then we need you. After all, if we didn't let you guys use our field you wouldn't have anywhere to play. Also, I believe with the money pumped into the BHS program they would still manage without the Graham lease of Mitchell Stadium.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I believe with the money pumped into the BHS program they would still manage without the Graham lease of Mitchell Stadium.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that. I'm always amazed at the money that is pumped into the Bluefield football program, especially lately.

My only comment on all of this stuff is quite simple and to the point. If you don't like the way things are done at Mitchell Stadium then by all means find another place to play. Both schools are extremely lucky to have such a beautiful and well-kept place to play. Yet people want to complain about this and that? It's quite sad. Feel fortunate and be thankful to have what you have.

hmmm...maybe they could name the scoreboard after Carlock or something? Or the fence after Bradshaw? I could hear it now "welcome to Mitchell Stadium, Chamara field, home of Carlock scoreboard and the Ahmad Bradshaw fence"

has a nice ring to it actually.

grin.gif

well... my point is, don't get overly carried away with it...naming the playing field after Chamara was classy...and I think was the right thing to do. If they want to go on past that...do something like Yankee stadium has and put a hall of fame or something like that on one end and put up some sort of monument or something it there.

They have a nice stadium there, and lots of room, no need for the two to argue over it.

Here's an idea...build some new field houses and pave the parking lot...lmfao. The money that they charge the schools to play there I think they could at least do that.

my prediction for the game I made last week was:

Richlands 42

Graham 15

Richlands missed 3 XP's = score should have been 28 from that

Richlands threw an INT from the 1 yard line - score should have been 35 from that

Richlands turned the ball over on two drives inside the Graham 30 yard line while moving the ball well...and Richlands ran the clock out on them at the end instead of running up the score...between those the score could have easily been 42 on Richlands behalf.

I wasn't that far off on my prediction...I've seen Richlands, Graham, Grundy, Tazewell, CC, Marion, VA High, Clintwood, JI Burton, JJ Kelly, Haysi, Blacksburg, Abingdon, Gate City, and a few more teams play this year IN PERSON...I base my predictions and thoughts on what I see, not hate or film alone, or anything else for that matter...and I do watch a lot of film as well...it's a hobby of sorts. I go to a LOT of ball games.

I have been giving dookie and 82nd hell the past few weeks because they run their mouth a lot and I, like you and others have my own opinion and I see a lot of stuff being said I don't agree with...so I voice it.

As for the "crickets" post I made, Gman made the first one when Richlands beat Grundy and I was just returning the favor...it was 100% in fun on my behalf. We all eat crow from time to time.

As far as the other team playing good, I say we played bad because we fumbled 2 punts inside our own 20 yard line and we had stupid penalties all night...both very uncharacteristic of Grundy to do. So yeah we did play a bad game...we had Richlands 3rd and 45 at one point early in the game and got a stupid penalty that gave them a first down...from there it got ugly...and I more than gave credit to Richlands for taking advantage of our mistakes and them playing a near perfect game themselves. It's one thing what a team hands you the game, it's another to be able to take advantage of that and put them away. They put us away. Take those 3 plays out and it's a lot closer than the score showed.

anyway...thats my point of view on it...I'm a grundy fan first, and a SWD fan second...I go see all of the teams play as often as I can. When Graham is not playing Grundy I tend to pull for them, same with Richlands, when they play each other as they did last night, i pulled for Richlands because that's who helps Grundy in the playoff picture the most since they are in DIV 4 and Graham is DIV 3 with us.

I have a simple solution.

Create a memorial to the legends of Bluefield/Graham football, something such as plaques along the southern side of the home stands where there is the gap between the stands and the lockeroom. Each plaque could have the face of the person along with the years of their coaching/playing with a short paragraph of text.

Best I've heard yet. But find a better place, such as a newly constructed wall between both stands and the north concession stand. But put them on a wall, together. And I'll concede to Gainer Stadium, it's more relative to me anyway.