Best Running back in SWD???

hurtholdback12

Hey lance who said anything about playing hurley..........id say you guys would love to have another one on the schedule like that..........if im not mistaking Hurley dropped grundy because they couldnt compete....so leave it at that....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These two you mentioned are pretty good and i would take them over many of the backs in southwest virginia but the best by far is tyronne mitchell. He is probably the smallest but averages more yards per carry then any of the backs in southwest virginia. Also he has more total yards on the year and looks to go over 1000 again for the second year in a row.

[ QUOTE ]

The first thing grundy can start doing is to quit scheduling cupcakes first three games and that will take care of a lot when they play richlands. Grundy beat AA Sheldon Clark first game of season by 50 points....COME ON GUYS EAST RIDGE BEAT SHELDON CLARK. So quitmaking excuses....dont act like they p;layed some powerhouses from KY....I dont even think sheldon clark would be a good game for twin valley or hurley

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey guys, I have seen alot of high school football in my days. But it will be a very long time before anyone can be compared to the Jones brothers. I'm from Big Stone Gap and I saw these guys every weekend during their high school careers. And since their graduations from HS I have attended many many SWVa, NET, and Southeast KY high school games and I haven't seen anyone that has the talent that these two showed during their days. And by the way Julius did have awesome numbers, but Thomas was the one that really had them. He had over 7,000yds and over 100 TD's.

It's been a while since I looked at the records held at PV, but I do know that his sophomore year as a backup behind Greg Bishop he had over 1,200yds. Most TB's don't get that as a starter! His junior year he had over 3,200yds and his senior year he had over 2,900yds. And I think he may have missed one game that year. Again, not saying this because I'm from BSG, but because it's fact!!

Like I said time and time again Marcum couldnt carry the Jones brothers towels. But im sure people will get on here and say but if he had the carrys they did he would beat them. Yeah Right he may with the carrys they had get 1200 yards but not 3000.

i even did the math for you...look at the yards per carry...compare the numbers...Marcum as a JR is 3+ yards per carry ahead of Julius as a SR as of right now and is on pace to get 30 + TD's in the regular season alone.

I'mm not trying to say Marcum is as good as Julius, I'm just saying by the numbers, he's on pace to put up similar stats and splits time at the position with Looney who is also avg above 10 yards per carry.

And for the guy that said Mitchell...you need to look up his stats again...he's not even close.

[ QUOTE ]

Just for the record, I wouldn't be so sure of your last comment... "most of your starters wouldn't even get any playing time at Grundy".

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record..I would...

maybe 3 or 4 could start for Grundy? they might get an offensive linemen or two out of the deal and maybe a DB or something but thats it unless you consider special teams as starters.

Pretty much other than that, position by position Grundy doesn't have a need anywhere that someone from Hurley could replace....sorry if that upsets you.

well..it's the truth...lol

I have nothing against Hurley? Some of their fans say some dumb stuff on here, but other than that I think they do a great job with what they have to work with over there...hard to have a powerhouse with 18 kids total.

I wasn't trying to be mean...I was just breaking down what I said so he knew why I said it...the only thing Grundy has "issues" with are the line and the DB's.

Sorry if that came off as overly aggressive.

[ QUOTE ]

I cant wait until next year to see Jennings let loose. Id say he will be a great back next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see him get more playing time this year. Let him spell Ringstaff more often and maybe line him up at receiver some. He's the fastest player on the team and needs to be utilized more.

If you'll check the message board and read it correctly, then you'll see that I only responded to this topic once. And only mentioned them once. Someone else must be bringing them up. And besides if PV never had any other great athletes then why did they win 4 titles before the Jones brothers arrived???????

Again, 4 of their titles came before Thomas and Julius. And at four titles, it was more than any other school in the SWVa at that time.

So, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it was because of great athletes. DUH!!!

PV has won a state title every 2.75yrs since 1982. Nobody else can say that. And you have the nerve to say that they have never had anyone else. Please, you need to learn a little more about the game and high school football in this area. And you are the one that needs to chill out. I only mentioned them once and responded to this topic once! It's other people that are bringing them up. IF PEOPLE WOULD READ THE BOARD CORRECTLY AND SEE WHO IS SENDING THE POSTS AND RESPONSES THEN ALOT OF PEOPLE WOULDN'T BE GETTING BLAMED FOR SOMETHING THEY DIDN'T EVEN SEND OUT.

lol...dude you realize this kid has probably never even seen PV play, knows nothing about the PV history, hasn't seen the Jones bros play, much less even been to a game at PV?

Deep breath...exhale...deep breath...exhale...

grin.gif

Yeah, this kid has no idea!!!!!

Hey Lance, did you say that the VHSL has changed the seedings for this year? How do you see the seedings for Region D, Division 2 this year. Just want your opinion on this....

Pretty sure that GC and PV will be there because of their points, but who else do you see? Honaker, Haysi, Clintwood, Rye Cove or Tom Walker? And who do you think will win the RC and Tom Walker game tomorrow night. That game will probably decide the Cumberland. Your thoughts.........

My thoughts are "it's a mess"..lol

I think Region D Div 2 will look like this:

(1) Gate City

(2) Powell Valley

(3) Honaker

(4) Thomas Walker

it's hard to say who will go..that's just my guess...you probably won't know until the last week what's going to happen over there. Haysi is probably the one that's going to be upset this year that they didn't get in. TW gets in for winning the Cumberland.

I just want to say that is a big statement by comparing Marcum to the jones brothes.....Thomas had 3000 yards rushing his junior season.... 2500 his senior season...Julius had maybe 2000....Ive seen them play and really they are not even comparable....I dont think Marcum is the best back to come out of grundy more les SWVA. His numbers is not as good as Scammel or perkins, mor less the Jones brothers....There's not as many good backs around like there has been in previous years. But i will give him credit he may be the best around this year. about 5 or 6 years ago he wouldnt even be in the top five....He is still a heck of a ballplayer.