-(3) 2pt conv

-120 total points

Ringstaff:

-136 carries

-736 yards

-5.41 yards per carry

-14 TD's

-84 total points

...and just to give you an idea of what I am talking about with the carries thing...ponder these numbers, based on Marcum's avg. if he had the carries that Ringstaff had, (and this is with what everyone agrees is a weaker line at Grundy)...they are staggering:

Marcum:

-136 carries

-1670 yards

-12.28 yards per carry

-32 td's

-(5) 2pt conv

-202 total points

...and that just 7 games.

Just for fun, so you know where that "Jones" comment came from...here are the Single Season 10 game projections based on 19.5 carries per game which is what Ringstaff gets.

Marcum:

-195 carries

-2395 yards

-12.28 yards per carry

-46 td's

-(5) 2pt conv

-286 total points

So all you haters, those are the numbers...I didn't make that stuff up.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, you know I take no offense, Lance.

These good ole redneck boys need someone to stick up for them, so it might as well be me doing it for them. smirk.gif

And I wouldn't count Garon out of going to a good school, and no not Emory.

Most kids around here don't even try or have the want to get out of the local area and make something of themself at an athletic level. Garon and his brother Aaron both are bustin' their balls going to camps, staying in the weight room and trying.

I've read Garon's 40 time was around 4.7 at the MSL Combine in Charlottesville. If that is accurate (which I don't believe it is) and he can work on that more than anything, I have ZERO doubts of him going to a D1 school somewhere out there.

they ran 4 kids at a time at the UVA camp...Garon won his group both times, the kid he beat by two steps got a 4.60 and they gave garon a 4.7...go figure.

The second time he ran he won the group again, had a 4.51 and they put 4.7 down in the stats...if you read theboards on several websites, he wasn't the only one this happened to. That was my only complaint about the camps...even tried to call them to get it straight, nothing really you can do.

Were the times done hand held or electronically?

If they were done hand held, then his true 40 time is around .1-.2 quicker than it would be done electronically.

It goes back to the timer clicking the stop watch from beginning to actual end whereas electronically is as close to a true time as you would get.

That's a complete guess though as to why they add the .2 to his 40 time.

Unless the whole 40 time was done electronically, then they're just being a bunch of idiots, frankly.

4 people ran at a time on a common start (ready - set -go) and there were 4 lanes, one person timing each lane, so there were 4 runners, 1 start, 4 timers...the results were all over the place...thats the one thing everyone at the camp was bitching about...I saw one kid there who said he ran 4.46 at a camp using laser timers, got a 4.80 at the UVA camp and was throwing an absolute fit and they would not let him run again. Although I think that Aaron's 40 times were probably close, I know for a fact Garon's 40 time was a joke.

I don't really believe the kid you're talking about ran a legit 4.46 electronically.

People who do that are legit big time prospects for D1 schools.

I remember reading about an athlete from Texas named Todd Walker who is a recruit of GA Tech. They had him listed at a 4.18 forty yard dash. His legit forty time was around a 4.45 so alot of these times are embelished quite a bit.

And to explain what you're going on about. The 4 timers cannot all hit and stop the watch all at the same time. Different reflexes, reactions, etc., fall into place using hand held as opposed to electronic.

They're just so many faults about using hand held timing, but every scout would rather rely on themself more than a computer even though it's more accurate.

yeah...in case you missed the write ups, the UVA camp was packed with "legit d1" prospects.

IF you have ever gone and watched the kids run at these...it's very very easy to see the ones that are running at 4.5 or lower believe it or not...there is a kid named Derrick Williams I think that ran a 4.3 at the camp...was pissed he didn't run a 4.2...he's out of NJ and is one of the top prospects in the nation...I watched him run 2 times...very fast kid.

But, yeah it was pretty simple what was going on...when you are dealing with .10ths and .100ths of a second, doesn't take much to get the time wrong....sad thing is that small amount of time makes the difference in a kid being "legit" or not.

Doesn't really matter as far as Garon goes, he just went to get the experience anyway...his times were supposed to be scratched, but they released them anyway...but he'll be back next year and should put up some good times.

Oh...while we are at it...(I think...still double checking stats) Garon is only 745 yards away from breaking Grundy's all time rushing record. Lot of ball left to play still this year to...just fyi.

*EDIT: link to the Williams kid...still #1 recruit for rivals.com...and I saw him run the 4.3 myself

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=22928&Sport=1

Yes, Derrick Williams is the top prospect according to Rivals and one of the best according to TI. He's being recruited as an ATH but will probably be an WR on the college level.

But seriously man and I'm being completely honest, they're VERY FEW people who can get a legit 4.3. Deion ran a high 4.2 and Michael Vick ran a low 4.3.

Tatum Bell ran a 4.38 during the NFL Combine and took him from a 4th-5th round pick to a 2nd round pick just by his speed.

The MSL Combine in Charlottesville does bring some good athletes, but their so many of them done in Dallas, San Diego, Atlanta, Miami, etc., etc., and alot of the people that show up there are one's just trying to get their name out there as well.

If you remember, Ahmad Bradshaw only had 4.5 speed and was pretty darn quick himself.

But you could e-mail any strength and conditioning coach around the country from a team's website and ask them how many legit 4.2's and 4.3's they have done ELECTRONICALLY. And while you're at it, ask them about the descrepency between hand held and electronic times.

I already know all that stuff man...lol.

I'm just telling you what happened, I don't care if you believe it or not...lol. I'm not going to argue with you about stuff I saw with my own eyes.

Those were Nike camps at those places btw, not MSL...the MSL combine was in Cincinnati, and we went to that one also.

I don't know if the last post is pointed at me or not, but if it is, I totally am not against Garon or even Aaron for that matter at all. You can ask Lance that.

I simply am trying to point out why the times are the way they are.

• 1 month later...

As far as the Cumberland District is concerned, there's really only one running back worht mentioning. Rye Cove's Zach Berry had something like 1,776 yards and 23 TD's. Muncy from Thomas Walker was off to an astounding start with 700+ yards in his first 4 weeks, but then barely broke 1000 by the end of the season.

My final thoughts on this since the year is over now...how they finished.

after seeing Wilson in the last few weeks, he really showed me something...I'd probably put him at #3 in the SWD.

#1 Marcum - consider the line he had vs. ringstaff and the yards per carry avg. twice what Ringstaff had...wave fan or not I'd take him #1...or any back that can avg about 10 yards per carry. Marcum will set the Grundy all time rushing record early in the season next year. Set the Grundy single season TD record this year with 23 in 10 games.

#2 Ringstaff - great kid...a lot of heart..a ton of talent..close to a toss up as to who is #1 with Marcum...we could argue about this all day.

#3 Wilson - really stepped up the last 3 weeks of the season and took over the #3 spot.

#4 Wengerd - I've watched this kid for the last two years and he's great...he could play on my team any day...he's the best back no one ever talks about.

#5 A.W. Looney - runs a lot like Ringtaff and finished the year with close to 15+ TD's and over 1,000 yards and was second on the yards per carry list only to Marcum.

#6 Robert Henry - Graham is still trying to run him like Bradshaw and he is not Bradshaw, once they figure out how to use him, he will put up good numbers.

#7 Jennings - Next year this kid could be the talk of the district. He's electric on returns and for his size is not afraid to lower his shoulder and finish off a run...if he hits the weight room in the off season, Richlands could have a good replacement for Ringstaff in the making.

I have to disagree with you Lance. It has to be Ringstaff at #1 and Marcum at #2. Also i would put Wengard ahead of Wilson, he runs harder than any other back we faced this year besides #2 from Salem.

Jennings will be a star for the next two years running the ball and returning kicks.

well the Marcum vs. Ringstaff argument is a toss up...of course if you are from Richlands you are going to want Ringstaff...that goes without saying.

I had Wengerd ahead of Wilson also until the last two or three weeks...Wilson really matured into a great downhill power runner and did a great job carrying Tazewell to the Region IV title...I got to see him play 4 games this year, plus a couple on film...and I got to see Wengerd play 3 times and a couple on film...again it's different style running and both are great kids...I just think that Wilson stepped it up the last couple of weeks so thats why I went with him...you can mix and match the #1 & #2 and #3 & #4 positions pretty much however you want...having played against them both and being on the team with Ringstaff, you have a much different take than I would..it's all good I think...lol.