The best team ever in SWVA...Ever

wavefan64

[ QUOTE ]

I dont know which of the teams was the best but the 1986 team and the 1996 team made it further than any other team in history fotr the rebels. I think the 1992 team had the best athletes of all. It would be hard to determinn the best hurley team but i think it is between 1992 and 1996

[/ QUOTE ]

Hurley won state or whatever they called state back in the early 50's I think...they had the team members back a couple of years ago for some kind of homecoming thing...I don't remember the details...just remember them winning it back then.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea all the players that was still alive came back lastyear the night we played Big Creek uhh Coach Smily had me and bout 7 other guys crying be4 the game he told us some great stories that night thats just one of those things u'll never fotger about in life was a great group of men ... but they had to drive about 5 hours just to play a game wasnt meny teams around back then !!!!! <font color="red"> </font>

man you are crazy maybe the 82 team but not 86.....they didnt even win district.....The best all around hurley team was the 1992 team that lost to powell valley 1st round. They would beat that 86 team. The talent level wasnt as good back then as it is now.

[ QUOTE ]

man you are crazy maybe the 82 team but not 86.....they didnt even win district.....The best all around hurley team was the 1992 team that lost to powell valley 1st round. They would beat that 86 team. The talent level wasnt as good back then as it is now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark Hackney was the best player to EVER come out of Hurley wasn't he? What about Greg Justus? I haven't really ever heard about the 92 team, but I thought 82 was the best team in the history of Hurley.

Man i dont know where you get your information from but Hurley has never won state and Mark Hackney is not even included in the the top 5 best athletes to come out of Hurley. Greg Justus was one of the best athletes to come out of hurley. The 82 team was good and the main man on that team was David Davis, but i dont think they could beat the 92 or 96 team.

[ QUOTE ]

Man i dont know where you get your information from but Hurley has never won state and Mark Hackney is not even included in the the top 5 best athletes to come out of Hurley. Greg Justus was one of the best athletes to come out of hurley. The 82 team was good and the main man on that team was David Davis, but i dont think they could beat the 92 or 96 team.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah dude...that team back in the 50's won some sort of championship..I don't know what exactly but they did win something or split something? It's in one of Smiley's books...and like the guy said, they had the living members of the team back last year...I'll try to find out more about what it was exactly that they did, maybe someone else here knows...you talk about all time greats from Hurley it's a short list...the old guys gotta get a nod though...different game back then, might have been a long time ago, but football was tuff back then...helmets and a mouthpiece now...broken nose and teeth back then...lol...I wonder how many of the current players would play under the conditions the old timers had to play in.

You may be right they might have won something back then, i know they were a good team. I was at the big creek game last year when Smiley ratliff and his players came into town. He gave an interesting speech. I know they were a good team, but i never did here of hurley winning state. I know they had to travel long hours to play and only had 14 players. I agree players today wouldnt play in those kind of conditions becaus they are to babyfied. I got to meet some of thos players when they came in. it was a good experience. Yeah if you have any more info on that team please let me know