The best team ever in SWVA...Ever

wavefan64

I was reading an article on VA Preps about the best team in the past 20 years in VA. being the 98 Salem Spartans. So it got me wondering, who is the best team in the Past 20 years or ever in SWVA?

I would have to go with, from what I have heard, 74 Gate City. I have heard dad talk about Coach Bradley(The coach at Grundy back in the day) saying that team was the biggest, meanest, nastiest, hardest hitting, bury the opposing team 6 feet under and then laugh when they did it bunch that he has ever seen.

But then I read an article on here about the 89 Graham team. Sounds like they own it. So I thought we could do a top 5 deal, with the top 5 teams ever in SWVA. And they don't necessarily have to be State Champs either (96 Grundy).

1. 89 Graham

2. 74 Gate City

3. 96 Grundy

4. 92 Richlands

5. 01 Graham

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to go with these few teams.

1.Graham 2001-they were sick

2.Tazewell 1986-one of my relatives played on that team

3.Grundy 1996-one of the best teams in grundy history

4.Gate City 74-heard they were one hell of a team

5.Powell Valley 1998-what can i say?

Thats my top five of all time in southwest virginia. cool.gif

For teams I have seen play, I would definitely go with 96 Grundy as the best team. Guys, you would just have to watch that bunch in person to see how good they were, and the 95 team wasn't that shabby either. Only 14 points seperated Grundy from back to back 10-0 regular seaons.

A little known fact is that in 2001, Grundy was up on Graham 28-14? Going into the 4th quarter at homecoming at Nelson Memorial. Graham ended up winning in OT on a failed 2 point conversion by Grundy. Could have kicked the field goal, but we went for the win. The 01 Graham team was awesome though, hands down. H.T. at QB, Bradshaw and WR, Reed Oakes at WR, also Paco Jones, the list goes on and on. Britton Williams was a linebacker, the team was loaded. I still don't really know what happened to them in the state finals, if anyone can enlighten me on that.

The Ultimate matchup though:

96 Grundy vs. 01 Graham.

Who do you guys think would win? cool.gif

My thoughts- Grundy 35, Graham 14

one team that has already been mentioned was the richlands '87 football team. They had 7 shut outs that year. The shut-outs came against some very top notch teams. Lord Botetourt, Northside(Roanoke), Giles, Lebanon, Grundy, Graham, and someone else but I don't remember. They didn't win a state championship like some of the other teams mentioned here but they would knock your head off.

Wasn't '87 Rowe's first year? I know that was the year Tazewell was looking to repeat and come down to G-Town and got beat. grin.gif

Another good Grundy team was 2000. That was the year Hipps and Dales, and Cannan Prater was in the backfield. That team was loaded too. Also you can't overlook many 2004 teams either.

[ QUOTE ]

I still don't really know what happened to them in the state finals, if anyone can enlighten me on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were outcoached, plain and simple. I think Carlock refusing to accept VT's offer to let Graham come down for the week and practice on their practice turf ended up hurting them too.

Grundy's '98 team couldn't on any day beat either of Graham's '90 or '93 team or the '93 Richlands team. I don't know how you all left off Graham's '90 team. Injuries to Roland and Dave Lawson in the playoffs was the only reason they didn't go 14-0. They finished 12-1 losing to Rustburg 16-14 at Rustburg on a missed field goal that counted.

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the '87 team but I followed them in the paper (lived in Richmond). Wasn't that the team that didn't allow a single point at home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, We had 7 shut outs that year, 5 at home. We were beat during the playoffs, in overtime by V-High, at home on a contraversial call.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the '87 team but I followed them in the paper (lived in Richmond). Wasn't that the team that didn't allow a single point at home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, We had 7 shut outs that year, 6 at home. We were beat during the playoffs, in overtime by V-High, at home on a contraversial call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a fantastic team, and certainly one of the best ever in the post-1970 era. If the Blues had won the game that 89 mentioned against VHS, there's really no telling how far that team might have gone.

For fellow Hokie fans, I'd offer the following analogy. That 1988 Richlands squad was a lot like the Hokies' 1996 Orange Bowl team.

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that R Alum.....we had 5 shutouts at home. I counted one that we played on the road as a home game. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That would've been Lord Botetourt if I'm not mistaken. 14-0 final.

It's all good, 89. Just don't make me have to correct you again. wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

They had 7 shut outs that year. The shut-outs came against some very top notch teams. Lord Botetourt, Northside(Roanoke), Giles, Lebanon, Grundy, Graham, and someone else but I don't remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other team was Gate City.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

They had 7 shut outs that year. The shut-outs came against some very top notch teams. Lord Botetourt, Northside(Roanoke), Giles, Lebanon, Grundy, Graham, and someone else but I don't remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other team was Gate City.

[/ QUOTE ]

Score of that one was 7-0.

And I don't even have a yearbook in front of me. Guess that makes me some type of savant.

I'm pretty solid on most of the games from '87, but I've blocked most of the scores from '88 out of my head beyond the first few games. FWIW, the '88 squad was MUCH better than its record.