The best team ever in SWVA...Ever

wavefan64

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

that was the game without starting qb (Adam). Donnie done a good job in his place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donnie also started the game with Lebanon. I remember him puking on the bus before we got there..... grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the '87 team but I followed them in the paper (lived in Richmond). Wasn't that the team that didn't allow a single point at home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, We had 7 shut outs that year, 6 at home. We were beat during the playoffs, in overtime by V-High, at home on a contraversial call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a fantastic team, and certainly one of the best ever in the post-1970 era. If the Blues had won the game that 89 mentioned against VHS, there's really no telling how far that team might have gone.

For fellow Hokie fans, I'd offer the following analogy. That 1988 Richlands squad was a lot like the Hokies' 1996 Orange Bowl team.

[/ QUOTE ]

My cousin played on that Richlands team. I watched his tape of the VHS game a couple of years after the fact.

A former co-worker of mine played on the '96 Orange Bowl team. He set an OB record in that game.

My all time dream matchup of local teams would be:

1967 Bluefield Beavers- Pete Wood a host of other players that went on to WVU and won a Peach Bowl for Bobby Bowden.

That team was truly awsome, planty of D-1 talent and and a legendary coaching staff. (Gainer, Charmra, Carlock)

--Versus--

1972 Radford Bobcats- The height of the Vietnam period meant plenty of workers and their families in Radford. That team put eleven (11), yes eleven (11), players in D-1 football from the classes of 1973 and 1974. The Bobcats went to Richlands for either the first round or Regional Final, I can't remember which. The game was 64-0. The closest game they played that fall was 38-0.

That's my all time "Clash of the Titans" dream game.

A lot of the SWVA teams that didn't win state titles were actually better than some of the ones who did. I can only rate the last 20 years or so; I didn't see any before the mid-80s.

I still think the best Richlands team talent-wise was the 1987 squad with Adam Lallande, Chad King, and Mike Compton, among others. I'm not sure the 2001 Graham team was the best overall, but it was definitely the best offensively. Gate City's 1996 team, with Division 1 athletes Chad Beasley, Benny Wolfe, Jake Houseright and Josh Shoemaker was another of the most talented teams but didn't win the title.

The 1986 Tazewell team had a ton of talent with many who went on to play college ball: Jesse Davis (I think he had a full ride to VT but went to Lees-McCrae), Quentin Reed (ETSU), Jeff Lamie and John Blankenship (Ferrum), Stephan Holloway and Robbie Colley (Va Tech), Robert Viney (Hampton) and Chris McCall (Clinch Valley).

Best defensive team, of course, was 1989 Graham. I don't think the 1990 Graham team was nearly as good; the '89 bunch was better both offensively and defensively.

[ QUOTE ]

I still think the best Richlands team talent-wise was the 1987 squad with Adam Lallande, Chad King, and Mike Compton, among others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree. Several excellent athletes on that team overall.

Talent-wise, the 1982 team merits mention as well. A lot of guys from that team played on the small college level. Three guys in particular (Sandy Rogers, Dale McGlothlin, and Jack Ginn) went on to play for E&H where they all had distinguished careers. Rogers in particular probably could've played at a higher level if he'd been given the chance. Unfortunately, those were the days when no Division I program would give you a look unless you played for Graham and your name happened to be Eddie.

[ QUOTE ]

Did Sandy ever get a NFL tryout? I thought I had heard that he went to some camps after he graduated.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I want to think that he worked out for the Redskins, but that didn't pan out. I think the '87 NFL strike and its associated turmoil impacted his odds in a very negative way.

Last rumor I heard was that he was in Alaska. But the shelf date on that rumor would be at least a dozen years ago by now.

Graham's 1997 team was an excellent team also. They finished 9-3 losing only to Bluefield which went 14-0 and gate City twice. The first gate game in double or triple OT in which they lost Gibson at QB. I really think if he doesn't get hurt Graham wins the championship that year insted of Gate. Both Gate and Bluefield were state champs that year.

hmmm...just thinking of stuff...wasn't the 80 Grundy team the one Bradley had with Van Meter on it that was supposed to be so good or was that 81?

Then you have the 88 team...then the 96 team...then the 04 team...kinda weird every 8 years...3 great teams that lose in the playoffs in OT.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

what about the 1982 hurley rebels... they had 17 players and went 10-0 ... their D only had 18 points scored on them all year and they ave. over 41 points a game ...

That was Hackney's SR. year wasn't it? He was a heck of a player from stories I have heard. Wasn't as good as Greg Justus though, lol.

Lance, the 1980 team went 8-2, with their only losses to VA. High 12-0 and Graham 13-8. And if I remember correctly, wasn't that the years that the two Eddie's and Oakley Clay played? Junior Coleman was arguably the best back to ever come through Grundy. Kind of ran the ball like Glyn Phillips Dad said. He would run as low as he could until he got outside the linebackers, and then he was gone. Also, he played weeks 2-7 with a broken arm. I think he made All District and Region, but I would say the kid from Giles beat him out that year? They have some kind of story on him on the Giles website. I have all their wins and losses if you would like to know. Dad played on that team. lol

If any of you have the complete schedules/scores for any of these teams, send them to me and I'll add them to the "team page" on the website.

I remember that 1980 Grundy team...they were pretty good. How did the '79 and '81 teams finish? Graham had one of their best teams ever in '81 and I remember Grundy playing them VERY tough at Mitchell Stadium.

Dad was a Jr. in 80. The 79 team went 1-9, I think it was Bradley's first or second year, and in 80 the went 8-2, lost to eventual State Champion Giles 31-0 in the first round of the playoffs. Wasn't Leon King the back that was so good that year and one of the best to ever come out of Giles? Coleman went down on the second play of the game I do believe with a bum knee, couldn't come back, and Grundy couldn't get anything going.

1980 Grundy Schedule and Scores-

Grundy 22 Lebanon 8

Grundy 34 Richlands 12

Virginia High 12 Grundy 0

Graham 13 Grundy 8

Grundy 28 Kelly 7

Grundy 14 Abingdon 7*

Grundy 42 Battle 0

Grundy 40 Marion 0

Grundy 26 Tazewell 13

Grundy 40 Patrick Henry 0

Giles 31 Grundy 0

*It has a piece in the annual about Abingdon coming into town with a 16 game winning streak and Grundy beating them 14-7.

Dads SR. year they went 7-3, and didn't make the playoffs. What a sham...lol

1981 Grundy Schedule and Scores

Grundy 12 Lebanon 6

Grundy 28 Richlands 6

Grundy 24 VA. High 0

Grundy 0 Graham 13-It says that Grundy outgained Graham 181 to 179, but could never get in the endzone.

Grundy 22 Kelly 7

Grundy 14 Abingdon 18

Grundy 36 Marion 0

Grundy 8 Tazewell 11- A "Defensive Thriller" is what the Moutaineer Termed it...lol

Grundy 46 Patrick Henry 0

If you add up the scores, Grundy was playing some tough D at the time, the only gave up 48 points in 80, and 61 in 81. I think dad was a DE, those two years, and they rotated him in with two other guys.

Thats all that I could dig up GMan, it does have a brief description of all the games in the 81 season though, all the stats and everything...I should be able to come up with some of the complete roster for 80 and 81.

God man if u only ever played for hurley the 82 team was great ... i hear the stories all the time .. and yes they say the cliff was ROCKIN ... heard some other stories too not sure how true they are but i did get to see some year books and the guy was right in the books i seen a guy told me that they never got socred on until they was in high school pee wee never gave up any points greatest team hurley ever seen and prolly ever will the way its going over here anymore and iv heard good stories about the 86 team but its hard to tell when ya talk to Mark Cooper lol .... LET'S GET THE OFFSEASON ROLLIN!!!

I dont know which of the teams was the best but the 1986 team and the 1996 team made it further than any other team in history fotr the rebels. I think the 1992 team had the best athletes of all. It would be hard to determinn the best hurley team but i think it is between 1992 and 1996