COACHES ALL STATE TEAM

VCATS

THE COACHES MET YESTERDAY TO PICK THE ALL STATE TEAM. I WOULD THINK IT WOULD COME OUT IN THE NEXT DAY OR TWO. IT IS AN INTERESTING GROUP. I AM NOT GOING TO SAY WHO MADE IT BECAUSE IT IS SECOND HAND NEWS. I DON'T WANT TO GET ANYONE HOPES UP AND THEN GET DISAPPOINTED IF DID NOT HAPPEN. BUT CONGRATS TO THOSE KIDS WHO MADE IT FROM SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA.

CONGRATS TO CAIN RINGSTAFF, JESSEE SMITH AND COLBY OWENS FOR MAKING FIRST TEAM ALL STATE. ALSO, CONGRATULATE TRAVIS TATUM, MATT LEE, JAKE REMINES, TYRONE MITCHELL, JEROME LOCKETT AND SCOTTY WORLEY FOR MAKING SECOND TEAM ALL STATE. I WOULD ALSO CONGRATULATE GARON, AaRON MARCUM, MARK MUNCEY AND AaRON LOONEY FOR MAKING HONRABLE MENTION. YES I CAN'T BELIEVE VA HIGH HAS THREE PLAYERS ON THE TEAM. AaRON AND GARON SHOULD HAD BEEN AT LEAST SECOND TEAM IF NOT HIGHER. CHECK THE NEWSPAPER THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.

well it's nice to see that 10+ yards per carry, 23 td'S and 150+ tackles gets you HM on the coaches team...while a QB that can't win 3 games gets second team...unreal.

Did Tyrone Mitchell make it as a RB or on defense?

I think a team that wins the region should atleast have a player on the 1st or 2nd team all state. I hate to see that Muncey or Evans didn't get any recognition at the state level.

Congrats to Owens and the R-lands boys. Well deserved credit.

Congratulations to the 3 boys from Virginia High for their accomplishments this year. Great years for all three. Good way for those three to go out.

Now let's forget about 'em and get ready for next year!!!

My take on this...First, Congratulations to all area kids who made 1st team, 2nd team and honorable mention. they're all student athletes who play football simply because they want to. None of them deserve to have their accomplishments cheapened by a bunch of bums on the internet.

Cain Ringstaff absolutely, positively deserves 1st team all state. I know Garon Marcum has better stats per carry, but the fact is Cain had more carries and led his team to the district championship. He's also a SR, and as has been discussed on the board in the past, seniors do seem to get more consideration. Having said that... There is no way any running back from SW Virginia should be 2nd team ahead of Garon Marcum. Nothing against anyone else but him and Ringstaff are the best AA running backs I saw this year.

Aaron Marcum...Did any of the local guys ahead of him make it as a LB? I think whether he's 1st team, or honorable mention... he should be the highest rated LB from SWVA. And I'm not knocking Lockett from VHS or Muncy from Tazewell. Those two stood out to me when I saw them play. I even mentioned that to Lance at the pickup game before any of these lists came out... but I think Marcum has a little more than them.

I thought Marcum and Ringstaff were tops in this area then Ellison and Wilson then Wengerd then Mitchell at RB...but I only saw about 5 gmaes from Mitchell so who knows? He had good stats...I still think Marcum and Ringstaff were the elite two of the bunch.

As far as LB goes...Marcum in the middle is all you need...and yes BigD, Lockett from Va High was ahead of Aaron Marcum...I wasn't impressed by Lockett at all...on Va High's defense I was more impressed with Morrison and Mitchell.

Tazewell had a couple of linemen that could have easily made it over a few that did make it...no names mentioned.

congrats to those who made the cut and to Terry Smith for standing up for his kids like that...Va High puts that many kids on All State with a 5-7 record...pretty impressive.

confused.gif

I can't believe this, if all that is right that's crazy.. The right people wasn't put in the same places again, this is about as bad as the AP all state. I'm really disappointed about this. But nothing you can do about it now. I totally disagree with this whole all state team. But congrats to all those that did deserve it. Great year guys.

All of its getting ridiculous. Politics, no examination of stats and team records. What a load. A 5 win team having 3 players on the team WTF. If anyone even tries to validate that then someone point them to marion because they need to be locked up.

I just cant help but feel sorry for my brother who ends his career with near 500 tackles and what does he have to show for it two all state honorable mention slots and he played on a 9-1 team this year. And the running back from Abingdon, Ellison I believe is his name,Ringstaff, and Garon should have been the only All State RBs from the area and how Garon with 23 tds, 1390, and 9.5+ypc didnt make it is beyond me. He finally gets every carry next year but hell 3,000 yards rushing, 35 tds and 12 ycp wont get him anything but a 2nd team selection if hes lucky.

A crock to the great athletes. Many more I dont know who were robbed but your not the only one who has lost all faith in the coaches selections and the officiating. Its a shame these young men have to be pawns in some grown men politicing to construct a reputation. Disctrict champions should have the most all state selctions, no not the district that Virginia HIgh is in. Thats the worst district in the whole state, single a included. But my point is win the district get a certain number or selections and then it should be 9 win teams like 2 picks, stuff like that. There needs to be a method behind the madness. Plain and simple.

Grundy had 5 total...3 HM's...but still 5 overall.

I think that the Tazewell kids got the shaft as hard as anyone in the deal...but I do think that Ringstaff and Marcum were the top RB's in this area and that Aaron deserved to be at the least second team ahead of Lockett.

I dunno...I will have to see the whole list and absorb it all before I have my full blown fit...lol.

grin.gif

It is pretty sad when Tazewell beat Graham and Virginia High not once each, but twice each, and both of them two teams had 3 kids on the All-State squad. If those boys from those two teams are soo much better than our boys, then how did they manage to go 0-4 against us this year? No one around here had enough guts to step up and say it so i will, Muncey, Cleaver, and Marcum were and are your 1st team All-Southwest District linebackers, they are probablly in the top 5 or 6 in the whole AA State. JR Wilson finished with 1300 yards and right around 20 TD's now im not saying that deserves to be 1st team All-District or anything like because there were two other backs with better stats, but i want anyone to find another running back besides Garon in our region that is better than him. We had a senior defenisve back that played in only the last 7 games of the year, he finished with 5 INTs and only gave up one touchdown and it was against Gretna. He played against your 1st team All-Southwest District receiver Remines twice and held him catchless....what gives? Also find me a better tackle and a better guard than Jarrod Burton and Jake Evans.

[ QUOTE ]

Also find me a better tackle and a better guard than Jarrod Burton and Jake Evans.

[/ QUOTE ]

At tackle, Jesse Smith. He was first team all state on both polls.

At guard, Matt Lee and Garrett Arms.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

but i want anyone to find another running back besides Garon in our region that is better than him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Found one...Cain Ringstaff! What do I get?

[/ QUOTE ]

You win a free rebuttal from yours truly. Whoa here now, what's the logic in that statement? And I don't want to hear:

A. "We made it farther in the playoffs" (True, but that was as a team, you guys had a lot of key players other than Ringstaff: Wells, Tatum, Keene, Smith, etc.)

B. "Our team kicked your ass." (Yeah, but that was definitely the sloppiest output Grundy had all year)

C. "Ringstaff had more total yards" (True, but see A.)

There are no justifications in any of those reasons. There have already been stat by stat comparisons with ypc and such, so I'm not going to go over that again. Compare Emmitt Smith and the Cowboys, and Barry Sanders and the Lions, and you'll understand my point.

To come on here and say flat out that Ringstaff is a better RB is insulting. I'm not saying that Ringstaff isn't worthy of any accolades, but so does Garon. I would have liked to see Garon on that 1st team too, but at the very bare minimum, deserved to be on at least the 2nd team. At least he's got one good year left and expect big things to happen.

And there's no excuse for Aaron not being on the 1st team Defense. Both of them were simply screwed because of petty under-the-table politics.

Both Grundy and Tazewell got screwed, plain and simple. Honestly, I think this has the makings to be a movie. Maybe it could be a sequel to that old Jimmy Stewart movie "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" and instead call it "Mr. Smith Goes to Charlottesville?"

Umm Lance did you read the post? He was asking for a running back OTHER THAN GARON who's better than JR WILSON

I'm sorry you misread that. The post I replied to claimed Wilson didn't get any recognition because two other guys had better stats...he then went on to ask for a running back other than Marcum who's better than Wilson. I didn't say Ringstaff is better than Marcum. I don't know which one is better. Like you've said before, they have different styles. But I do know which one had the most rushing yards. And yes I know Garon had fewer carries but the coaches, writers, or whoever picks these teams go on the stats a guy had...not the stats he "could've had". If a baseball player hits 40 home runs in 400 at-bats should he win the MVP or be selected to the All-Star team over a guy who hit 55 home runs in 600 at-bats? The guy with 40 would project 60 home runs in 600 at-bats but the guy with 55 didn't project...he did it.

Edit: Oops, sorry DMan. For some reason I thought Lance made that post. Guess misreading must be catching.

yeah i was gonna say:

(1) Dan made that post

(2) he said "Besides Garon"...lol

but to add something...Ringstaff had twice the carries and no more TD's. So...using your own reasoning...the guy that hits 60 homers in 600 at bats vs. the guy that hits 60 in 1200 would more than likely get the attention...now if the guy that gets 1200 goes to the division championship and the other player plays for the Braves and gets put out in the first round like the Braves always do...lol...then the other guy gets more exposure. grin.gif

The Marcum vs/ Ringstaff argument is just silly, they are two different style runners...and they are both very good at what they do...period.

It's still a shame that things are the way they are with this all state list...but...time for next season now.

[ QUOTE ]

now if the guy that gets 1200 goes to the division championship and the other player plays for the Braves and gets put out in the first round like the Braves always do...lol...then the other guy gets more exposure.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

Upon further review, I see that I did take that out of context, but upon my first reading that's how I perceived it. We've had the whole Marcum/Ringstaff debate before I know, in fact I think there was a huge thread on it.

Regardless of that, these All-State selections are what has gotten me all riled up. Particularly 3 from a certain sub-.500 school near the Tennessee border. I'm glad Colby made it on there, he deserved it, but the Marcums deserved to be on there as well. Ah well, politics is politics I guess.