COACHES ALL STATE TEAM

VCATS

What better measuring stick is there than head to head competition? Lockett and Marcum played 8 quarters across from one another. Both played FB/MLB so they were matched against one another. Lockett got yards between the tackles. Marcum didn't. Lockett shut down the Grundy running game between the tackles for two games. He had as many tackles as Marcum. He scored the winning touchdown. He was without question the leader of our defense, Morrison and Mitchell were good but he was our stopper all year.

The two teams were pretty even because both games were close and hard fought. Grundy got 5 and V-high got 3 selections. V-high beat Grundy in the playoffs...on a Lockett touchdown.

Yes, your players work hard and they were good. So were ours. Instead of pointing fingers and claiming far fetched conspiracy theories as to why more Grundy players aren't on the team, why not step back and realize that Grundy wasn't better than V-high or Tazewell. Just because you got good players and you see them every week, that doesn't mean they are better than another team's good players. If your players deserved all state so much more than V-high players, they would have proven their stock and beaten the lesser talented athletes from V-high....that didn't happen. The numbers are comparable for players for both teams...so guess which ones get the nod. That's right, the winners. If I'm recruiting, I'm going to Lockett's house first.

And as far as your running back comparison, why not compare apples to apples? If 30 of those home runs are hit in the minors, are they looked at the same way? Why not take out the gaudy numbers Garon put up in yards and Td's against the Kentucky cupcakes and compare his numbers to Ringstaff's against common opponents? I know his average was nowhere near 10+ yards a carry in the swd or against us. I'd say things would tighten quite a bit. Take into account that Richlands won and that seems to end that argument... I'm just glad Wilson isn't coming back!

Mitchell was a Senior. He battled injuries all year. He still had his second straight 1,000 yard season. He played excellent on both sides of the ball all year. I congratulate him on a great season and well deserved recognition for his performance over the last two seasons at virginia high. We will miss Tyrone, but the cupboard's not bare...we'll have a name to throw into this Best RB mix next year smirk.gif

There were no politics on the field that night in Grundy. There is no unfair bias against Grundy. State selections have always followed one guideline...To the victor's go the spoils laugh.gif All complaints are whining crap, more fallout from suffering a bitter defeat.

[ QUOTE ]

And as far as your running back comparison, why not compare apples to apples? If 30 of those home runs are hit in the minors, are they looked at the same way? Why not take out the gaudy numbers Garon put up in yards and Td's against the Kentucky cupcakes and compare his numbers to Ringstaff's against common opponents? I know his average was nowhere near 10+ yards a carry in the swd or against us. I'd say things would tighten quite a bit. Take into account that Richlands won and that seems to end that argument... I'm just glad Wilson isn't coming back!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Marcum barely touched the ball in the KY games. That point has been beaten to death on this board.

I'm not sure a comparison of common opponents would mean anything. They do have different styles that were probably a factor in the way teams defended them. There were teams that sold their soles to stop Ringstaff. Abingdon keyed on him so hard that Wells and Tatum were able to have a field day in the passing game. I'm sure Marcum was keyed on too but because of the different styles opponents probably had to use different stratagies. Offensive linemen would be a factor as well.

[ QUOTE ]

Actually Marcum barely touched the ball in the KY games. That point has been beaten to death on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

He touched it enough to have his yards per carry over 20 yards if i remember reading that on here correctly. Goin' out against completely overmatched teams and running 80 yards through a 10 foot hole a couple times while Ringstaff is fightin' for 4 against Gate City, sounds like there's more to it than just comparin' #'s. Not carryin' the ball a lot of times doesn't mean the #'s weren't padded. especially average.

[ QUOTE ]

There were teams that sold their soles to stop Ringstaff. Abingdon keyed on him so hard that Wells and Tatum were able to have a field day in the passing game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Add us to the list of teams that tried to stop Ringstaff. We keyed on him all night and his low #'s don't show how it opened up things for Wells and Tatum to both have huge nights against us.

All-anything teams around here have been a big joke this year! Any all state team that has 3 V-die kids on it and only 1 Tazewell kid is a joke. Whipped you 2 times, therefore we should have 2 times the all-staters!

Your idiotic crap never ceases to amaze me......coach.....

We might as well face it guys, if V-High goes 5-5, they will be able to beat the AFC Pro Bowl team. I respect VCats and others statements, but this crap never stops amazing me. Wooohooo you beat us, there, a Grundy fan admits it. It still pisses me off to no end what happened, and no Grundy player will ever forget that night. Take two calls back, you get beat 14-0 barring Tigh doesn't miss field goals, and you crossed the 20 maybe once or twice. Take your victory and move on. It happend 3 months ago for god sakes.

[ QUOTE ]

He touched it enough to have his yards per carry over 20 yards if i remember reading that on here correctly. Goin' out against completely overmatched teams and running 80 yards through a 10 foot hole a couple times while Ringstaff is fightin' for 4 against Gate City, sounds like there's more to it than just comparin' #'s. Not carryin' the ball a lot of times doesn't mean the #'s weren't padded. especially average.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that his stats against the KY teams are disproportioninate to the rest of his games, but I don't think discarding them would bring his per carry average down very much because they were such a small percentage of his totals. The only true way to compare them would be to put them on generic teams and let them play against other generic teams (meaning everyone is exactly the same except those two)...But I really don't think it's necessary. I was trying to make a case for why Cain was first team but there's no reason to say one is better than the other. They're both great.

[ QUOTE ]

Add us to the list of teams that tried to stop Ringstaff. We keyed on him all night and his low #'s don't show how it opened up things for Wells and Tatum to both have huge nights against us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you did. You got us into 3rd and long way too many times. I was really frustrated with the coaches for calling so many plays up the middle against your stacked line. They did finally adjust though, and like you said, Wells and Tatum ended up having big games.

watch the film on that last va high game, they never cross the 20 until it's put on the 10 in OT...if not true, show me where they do and I'll say I was wrong.

As far as Lockett shutting down Grundy...are you high? Morrison and Mitchell had more tackles against Grundy than Lockett did. And lets not forget Grundy stomped your ass the week before in the first game and stomped Tazewells ass two weeks prior to that...so don't go thinking you are better than Grundy because you got two calls that gave you the game which has been shown here already for everyone to see.

Let's face it...the only reason you have 3 kids on the all state team is Terry Smith...thats it...you can say whatever you like about anything else...thats what it boils down to. Who is Terry Smiths dad? hmmm? Where did he coach before Va High? Who has Connections on that side of the state? Everyone hates the Region IV teams from the other side of the state...always have. Terry Smith is well known and liked on that side and did campaign for those kids to get on the team...(for a coach thats a good thing to do...stands up for his kids...I actually like that about the man)...but lets just be honest about it?

As for Marcum vs. the Ky teams...in the first game he touched the ball a grand total of 5 times and had less than 100 yards...didn't even play in the second half except to hold for extra point attempts...and in the other two he had good games but no "8 foot holes", most of his yards came after contact and were around the end on sweeps.

He also had 100+ yard games against Va High both times...as well as Tazewell...other than the first game against the KY team where he only touched the ball 5 times, he had 100+ yard games against the other 10 teams he played...consistancy...he racked up on avg about 140 yards on about 14 carries a game for the last 10 games...and that is an awesome stat no matter what you want to say.

You guys at Va High love to say this whole "to the victor" crap...you didn't beat anyone...you got a gift against Grundy and thats it...you guys couldn't even handle Graham on an off year? What are you doing on here thumping your chest telling everyone how great you are? You guys had an average team at best.

Lance, it's no use, they just don't get it. I shouldn't have went off on the Ringstaff tirade and went off on Mr. Bearcat, but hell, what would be the use. It's like talking to a kid with ADD with a twist of dementia.

The gospel of Coach Bearcat says that this is the greatest sub-.500 team of SWVA football history. And I tell you what, I think I agree with him. What a fairy tale year for the Bearcats. "Upsetting" Grundy and "getting" 3 guys on the All-State team, they've had a stellar year. That Highlands District is the toughest district around.

Next season, I really hope you win your district again and Grundy meets you again. You can talk your pathetic trash against Garon all you want, but I think you'll be in for a rude awakening. Your reality check bounced and maybe one day it will clear the bank. 5-7, be proud, be real proud.

I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHY VA HIGH FANS GET ON HERE AND SAY WHAT A GREAT YEAR WE HAD. 5-7 RECORD IS NOT VERY GOOD. WINNING ONE GAME DOES NOT MAKE A YEAR ESP. LOSING BAD THE NEXT WEEK AGANIST TAZEWELL. V-CAT FANS NEED TO FACE THE TRUTH, GRUNDY DID HAVE THE BETTER TEAM, THEY WOULD BEAT US 99 TIMES OUT OF A 100. I THINK LANCE SAID IT SOMETIME BACK WE WERE EXPOSED AND HE IS RIGHT. WE WERE WEAK AND SLOW. SPEAKING OF THE ALL STATE TEAM, AaRON MARCUM IS MUCH BETTER THAN LOCKETT. I THOUGHT HE WAS THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN REGION IV. GARON AND MITCHELL BOTH SHOULD HAVE BEEN 2ND TEAM ALL STATE. I THINK MITCHELL HAD TO CARRY ALOT OF THE BURDEN ON DEFENSE WHERE GARON HAD LOONEY, AaRON AND OWENS TO HELP. I GUESS IF I HAD TO VOTE I GUESS I WOULD VOTE GARON BECAUSE HE PLAYS IN A TOUGHER DISTRICT. I DO BELIEVE RINGSTAFF IS THE BEST BACK AROUND. I THINK GARON WILL GET THE BALL 25-30 TIMES A GAME NEXT YEAR OR AT LEAST SHOULD. DOES GURNDY HAVE ANOTHER BACK TO ROTATE IN NEXT YEAR LIKE THEY DID THIS YEAR WITH LOONEY?

Dear lord....i havnt been on here in a while (i know everyone missed me)....and the first thing i see....Va. High and Grundy people arguing again...and although its a different topic...its all rooted back to that damn game...*sigh* cant wait for next year smirk.gif