When does football

wvuraiders

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JJBrickface
start? lol

WVU spring game is April 18, that is where I will get my football fix.

Ruoff and Butler have choked terribly this season......Bryant and Ebanks look like the veterans and Ruoff and Butler look like the freshmen.......pitiful......a Big East team would've destroyed WVU today.....Huggs will not like this one

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Ruoff and Butler have choked terribly this season......Bryant and Ebanks look like the veterans and Ruoff and Butler look like the freshmen.......pitiful......a Big East team would've destroyed WVU today.....Huggs will not like this one

I cant really comment on the players because I havent seen enough WVU basketball this season (I thought Butler played well though throughout the season though), but I dont think Marquette nor Pitt would have destroyed WVU today.

I cant really comment on the players because I havent seen enough WVU basketball this season (I thought Butler played well though throughout the season though), but I dont think Marquette nor Pitt would have destroyed WVU today.

WVU just didn't show up today. The scorers on the team didn't score and the freshmen played like they were there for the right reasons. Things are looking up for WVU, at least the future. They will be a better team next year. We overachieved and ran into an underrated Dayton team who was "seasoned" and very athletic.

I'm thinking about the spring game! Anyone want to go?

Exactly...Sweet 16 is likely the closest you are going to get to sniffing a title with Thuggins as the head man. Track record speaks for itself. The best chance he's going to have was with Kenyon Martin and he couldnt get it done then either....WVU faithful can disagree if they want, but its highly UNLIKELY that you see a final four with Thuggins at the helm.

Exactly...Sweet 16 is likely the closest you are going to get to sniffing a title with Thuggins as the head man. Track record speaks for itself. The best chance he's going to have was with Kenyon Martin and he couldnt get it done then either....WVU faithful can disagree if they want, but its highly UNLIKELY that you see a final four with Thuggins at the helm.

and see how good of a chance you would have....huggins made final four in 92 as well...i wouldn't worry about wvu basketball

and see how good of a chance you would have....huggins made final four in 92 as well...i wouldn't worry about wvu basketball

He made the Final Four in 1992...with FOUR future NBA players on the roster. If I'm not mistaken.

Huggins is prone to getting out-coached against a good Xs-and-Os guy.

And deep in the postseason with very talented rosters, that'll cost you.

And yes, Huggins has a bad stigma of choking in the postseason. Rick Barnes has a Final Four, and he's also got that stigma.

Guest JJBrickface
Might as well get used to early exits as long as Thuggins is at the helm....

I tell you what I have been waiting all day for Grungy10 to give his advice. Man I feel so enlightened now. Thanks for letting us in on that tidbit Grungy10. Maybe you can find us a new coach? You know since you are such an expert? Once again I just want to thank you Grungy10.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Well to be honest, he does have a point.

Huggins has lost in the second round or earlier in 10 of the past 12 seasons. No team made it past the Sweet Sixteen.

I know I have a point Beavertail, and thank you for backing that up. Its typical of the board when you say something negative about WVU to have this kind of response. Not like I didnt expect it. Truth hurts sometimes tho. If just making the tournament most every season makes the WVU fans happy then so be it.

And JJBrickface...making fun of Grundy? Really? Was that supposed to make a point, because I believe I must have missed it?

As far as hiring coaches go, I think WVU should focus on finding one and keeping him happy. You know, like the one that just got Michigan to their first tournament in a decade AND got a win in the first round...Yeah, ones like that would be nice....

I just dont believe Thuggins will be able to get the same type of player year in and year out that Pitt, UCONN, Louisville, G'town, etc do and if Thuggins doesnt try something different he's going to be middle of the pack. In previous years, the 1-3-1 zone and putting a shooter at every position helped even out the advantage that the bigger, more established basketball schools had by giving opponents a look that they werent used to. Same thing Texas Tech does in football. They cant recruit to Lubbock TX like OK and UT do so they have to find something different to win with lesser talent and athletes.

Missouri realized this as well. Missouri had Quin Snyder and great talent, but not enough to compete with Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma consistently. So they bring in Mike Anderson and his "40 mins of hell" style of play and created a problem for the other teams in the Big 12 because they spend all year practicing against zone and man to man defense then twice a year they are met with 40 minutes of full court pressure from end to end and an offense that relies on the turnovers they create and creating havoc instead of ball screens and back door cuts. Mike Anderson had UAB in the Sweet 16 with this same method. They hire Mike Davis, who was successful at Indiana with a traditional style of basketball, and you never hear UAB and Sweet 16 again.

Memphis hired Calipari. He has a system that puts an emphasis on the athlete and thats what he goes out and gets. He pressures you on D and spreads you out and runs his Dribble Drive Attack. Without a coach that emphasizes the spread and freedom that he does on O in a system that they can just go out and play and showcase themselves, they would not be able to pull top 10 recruits nearly as regularly as they do. FedEx helps Memphis as well but thats another topic.

If you play the same style of basketball as the other teams in the Big East with less talent and less athletes across the board you arent going to be able to win consistently enough to win a BE title or a National title. Just my opinion tho and im sure it will be broken down and disagreed with to the fullest. lol This is all for you JJ, since you said you had been waiting all day for my opinion. I hope you enjoy!

Edited by Grundy10

He made the Final Four in 1992...with FOUR future NBA players on the roster. If I'm not mistaken.

Huggins is prone to getting out-coached against a good Xs-and-Os guy.

And deep in the postseason with very talented rosters, that'll cost you.

And yes, Huggins has a bad stigma of choking in the postseason. Rick Barnes has a Final Four, and he's also got that stigma.

this coach took beliens kids to a sweet 16 and turned Joe alexander into a top 10 draft choice,,,he has took several different schools to ncaa tourney's I cannot believe we are even discussing whether this man can coach....he lost his starting point guard this year and took 3 freshman to an over achieving record this year...this discussion amazes me

Guest JJBrickface

Grungy,

You came here calling him Coach Thuggins so I am calling Grundy...Grungy. Like wvuraiders said this WVU team overachieved this year. I could care less about John Beilein or RR, they don't want to be at WV. Coach Huggins and Stewart do. I'm not going to apologize for taking up for our Coach. If you want to discuss basketball we can do that but if you want to throw names around then I'lll give that back to you.

I posted a very large message about basketball and "your" coach. You have now posted twice in response to me and, combined, both messages have contained very little in response to any points I made, or basketball. So please, stay on topic if you are going to tell me do the same. Thanks.

Facts are facts and outside of a year here and there, WVU will have a hard time chasing a national title with Huggins as the head coach. Track record speaks for itself.

Guest JJBrickface
I posted a very large message about basketball and "your" coach. You have now posted twice in response to me and, combined, both messages have contained very little in response to any points I made, or basketball. So please, stay on topic if you are going to tell me do the same. Thanks.

Facts are facts and outside of a year here and there, WVU will have a hard time chasing a national title with Huggins as the head coach. Track record speaks for itself.

Like I said before, have a legitimate post and then we will talk.

Did anyone catch ESPN this morning and hear Rick Reilly's jab at Huggins? Reilly was giving a rundown to the people who are unfamiliar with basketball lingo but just fill out brackets for their office. On the subject of traveling, he said, "Traveling: This is when people run without dribbling the basketball. This is also what WV coach Bob Huggins does after he exits the tournament. He travels to another job."

Anyways, I figured I'd contribute this to this Huggins thread...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I honestly always thought Huggins was a legit coach, and thought Grundy10 was crazy. I was wrong after doing a little research. Huggins has some work to do in the big dance.

this coach took beliens kids to a sweet 16 and turned Joe alexander into a top 10 draft choice,,,he has took several different schools to ncaa tourney's I cannot believe we are even discussing whether this man can coach....he lost his starting point guard this year and took 3 freshman to an over achieving record this year...this discussion amazes me

That doesn't change the fact that Huggins has a pitiful NCAA Tournament record compared to the talent he had on his teams. One Final Four, that's it, and he's had the talent to reach 3-4. A first-round exit to Dayton this year. It's getting pretty clear.

Edited by UVAObserver

That doesn't change the fact that Huggins has a pitiful NCAA Tournament record compared to the talent he had on his teams. One Final Four, that's it, and he's had the talent to reach 3-4. A first-round exit to Dayton this year. It's getting pretty clear.

Go ahead and judge Coach Huggins on his NCAA resume if you want. Does that mean that the man cant coach, lol, i doubt it. He has won how many games? He took over a bunch of guys recruited for a totally different system and taught them his and went how far last year in the tourney? Ask Rich Rod how teaching his system in a year worked out. I guess you guys are ready to throw Pat Summitt under the bus for losing last night. I guess she just flat out got out coached. I went to the WVU vs. Tennessee game in Charleston last year and watched to see some of the great sets that Tenn. would run. There wasnt any. The key to success was my point guard is better than yours, my shooter is better than yours, and my 6'6" girl throwing the ball to Candace Parker are both taller and better than yours. Most of the Mid Majors that upset these tradional powers, do so by running a structured offense that most big conferences have gotten away from. "Motion" offense that you hear so much about is based on teaching kids to play the game, and very little sets or structure. Say Huggins has a drinking problem if you want too, say he used to recruit players of questionable character, and maybe will in the future. He may be a better recruiter than he is a bench coach, but what he has done over the years is not accomplished without quite a bit of basketball knowledge. The man can flat out recruit and teach the game. You want to despute that go attend a practice, sit in on his preparation meetings, be there for time outs, go in at halftime, and then report back to us. Ill even supply directions from Grungy, I mean Grundy to Morgantown for you.