When does football

wvuraiders

Im still missing the point behind the Grungy comments? Should it bother me that I am from there? Is there any relation to Grundy and Coach Huggins? What is it? Since it keeps coming up, i'd really like to understand it.

But just for good measure i'll add this article. It is from his KSU days, but pretty much portrays what WVU will be in for UNLESS Coach Huggins has a change of heart.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/story/bob_huggins_just_win_baby

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im still missing the point behind the Grungy comments? Should it bother me that I am from there? Is there any relation to Grundy and Coach Huggins? What is it? Since it keeps coming up, i'd really like to understand it.

But just for good measure i'll add this article. It is from his KSU days, but pretty much portrays what WVU will be in for UNLESS Coach Huggins has a change of heart.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/story/bob_huggins_just_win_baby

the man is from wv, academic all american there, he is home finally

Guest JJBrickface
That doesn't change the fact that Huggins has a pitiful NCAA Tournament record compared to the talent he had on his teams. One Final Four, that's it, and he's had the talent to reach 3-4. A first-round exit to Dayton this year. It's getting pretty clear.

What percentage coaches in the NCAA currently have made more than one NCAA tournament? Last year he took a team that didn't fit his style to the Sweet Sixteen, this year he lead a very young team to 23 wins, a Big East tourney semifinal, and an NCAA appearance. No game in the NCAA tourney is a guarantee win, just look at all of the upsets during the year. Luck is a big part of it, Coach Huggins just has had a lot of bad luck.

My only guess is a disrespectful nickname towards Grundy that hasn't exactly been warranted, all because you offended some people with your statement. Huggins' track record, on the other hand, speaks for itself and has well earned his persona "Thuggins". Thus, a faulty comparison.

My only guess is a disrespectful nickname towards Grundy that hasn't exactly been warranted, all because you offended some people with your statement. Huggins' track record, on the other hand, speaks for itself and has well earned his persona "Thuggins". Thus, a faulty comparison.

Not really. If you want to trash someone for some reason or another, it's warranted to get it in return. Plain and simple. You can't question the man's ability to coach. The loss to Dayton for example was in my opinion the lack of leadership on the floor. We had a group of freshman play the game and some upper classmen looking around lost. They weren't lost, just didn't show up. Ruoff has that ability to dissappear in big games and if Butler isn't hitting, he doesn't show up at all. I'm sure Huggs was embarrassed by his team's play.

Nevertheless, 4th winningest coach among active coaches I believe simply tells you he can coach, teach the game, get players to play for him, and recruit. Any statement questioning his coaching ability is stupid and that person needs not talk basketball. You have to have your players to succeed and he has 3 freshmen that contributed this year and will get more to feed his team. This team had no depth and no true constant leader, other than the coach. WVU is a year or two away from hitting big strides under Huggs.

Someone on here asked me who I coached for me to question another coach's job, maybe we should ask the same here.

Guest JJBrickface

Your are so full of it. What do you expect, seriously? Maybe all of us WVU fans could start more of the Michael Vick stuff? But whats the point? There is none. Just like there is no point in calling Huggins "thuggins" in a post related to his coaching skillls.

Your are so full of it. What do you expect, seriously? Maybe all of us WVU fans could start more of the Michael Vick stuff? But whats the point? There is none. Just like there is no point in calling Huggins "thuggins" in a post related to his coaching skillls.

Posting Michael Vick stuff would suffice should a chance to bring it up arise. I didn't even start anything in this thread, but pretty much everything I have read has shed some sort of relevancy within WVU basketball. Statistics show that Huggins has a monkey on his back when it comes to the NCAA tournament no matter who is on his team, and someone also questioned the integrity of his recruits. Nicknames are usually generated on some sort of truth (i.e. "Thuggins" for Bobby, and "Rat Face" for Coach K). History up until this point proves that these observations hold some sort of weight. This has nothing to do with WVU vs. VT vs. UVA vs. LSU, etc.

this is getting stupid........completely.

Huggins is a great coach. I think he needs a NC to complete his coaching career and hopefully will come in the next 5 years at WVU. I'm not saying that won't happen or will.

I'm just saying that you question his coaching ability if you wish, but you don't have much of an argument. Sure we can talk about him not getting in the big game or winning the big game, but we can also say that he was never at a big school such as UCONN / SYRACUSE / DUKE / UNC or several others.

He is coaching in the toughest conference in CBB and has had two great years to begin there playing with only a few players that he selected. His troubled past is behind him and I wouldn't be surprised to see his best coaching in front of him.

Cheers.

Guest JJBrickface
Posting Michael Vick stuff would suffice should a chance to bring it up arise. I didn't even start anything in this thread, but pretty much everything I have read has shed some sort of relevancy within WVU basketball. Statistics show that Huggins has a monkey on his back when it comes to the NCAA tournament no matter who is on his team, and someone also questioned the integrity of his recruits. Nicknames are usually generated on some sort of truth (i.e. "Thuggins" for Bobby, and "Rat Face" for Coach K). History up until this point proves that these observations hold some sort of weight. This has nothing to do with WVU vs. VT vs. UVA vs. LSU, etc.

I posed a question that no one answered. I'll try again, what percentage of current NCAA coaches have made the Final Four more than one time?? And yes it does have something to do with WVU. There are a select few people here who hate WVU and go out of their way to post stupid stuff. There are a lot of Hokie fans on here who are very fair but then you have a guy like Grungy10 who is here to stir stuff.

I'd like for anybody to tell me where I ever said the man cant coach. I said that you better get used to early exits in the tournament because thats what Huggins is known for UP TO THIS POINT. Stats show that and back that statement up so you can get mad all you want. Its a fact UP TO THIS POINT.

Do you think I made up the nickname "Thuggins" for Bob Huggins? He has carried that nickname for as long as I remember. It was given to him while he coached at Cincinnati due to his players "run ins" with the law and their extremely low gradutation rates. Sorry that I cant take credit for that but if you plan on trying to insult every person who has ever called the man "Thuggins" then you are in for a long long journey.

Am I just here to stir it up? Is that really what you think? Should we all just agree with everything that is said, contribute no insight unless its supportive of WVU and their employees, or contribute comments that are supported by hard facts?

Nobody has said Bob Huggins WONT turn things around and win at WVU. He just simply isnt going to win a title there IF HE DOES THE SAME THINGS THERE THAT HE DID AT CINCINNATI. Plain and simple. If you are happy graduating 25% of your players in a 10 year span, winning 25 games, and making the tournament every year then STATISTICS SHOW that he is the man for your program. But up to this point he DOES NOT have a good track record in MANY aspects of what a coach is responsible for. Arugue facts if you must but everyone that has read this thread that IS NOT a WVU fan is able to see that it isnt an attack on anybody. Its FACTUAL INFORMATION.

The best chance he's going to have was with Kenyon Martin and he couldnt get it done then either.

When Martin was a senior (which was his best year at uc...averaging 19 ppg i think) he got hurt in the conference tourny and was out in the ncaa tourny..Bob cant help injuries.

Thank you! Great post!

And as John Calipari can show, you spend 3/4 of your career in a craptastic conference, you can win a boatload of games.

Do you think I made up the nickname "Thuggins" for Bob Huggins? He has carried that nickname for as long as I remember. It was given to him while he coached at Cincinnati due to his players "run ins" with the law and their extremely low gradutation rates. Sorry that I cant take credit for that but if you plan on trying to insult every person who has ever called the man "Thuggins" then you are in for a long long journey.

Don't forget Huggins' very own DUI. While on a recruiting trip, which I've always found to be classic.

And you're right with this paragraph.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
I posed a question that no one answered. I'll try again, what percentage of current NCAA coaches have made the Final Four more than one time??

Thats a little different from this...

What percentage coaches in the NCAA currently have made more than one NCAA tournament?

Regardless, Huggins should never be one to bet your bracket on, for sure.

JJ and the_truth:

It seems im not the only one that has heard the nickname Thuggins. It also seems im not the only one that can take an unbiased look at the stats and see Coach Huggins' tournament situation up to this point in his career. Why no rude/degrading slang terms for any of them? I suppose im the only one that is worthy of such labeling from you guys.

Thanks for showing what WVU homers you really are and showing your class as posters as well. So much for intelligent conversation I suppose. The way you treat posters, mainly me, on this thread shows that maybe you arent that far removed from Bob Huggins. Makes since that you'd have such a stong reaction to someone talking about those character issues, since they may hit a little too close to home for you guys.

What was intended to be an informative debate, including facts and statistics, articles, etc, you've managed to turn it into a mud slinging contest with people from your own area and on your own local board. Thanks again!

JJ and the_truth:

It seems im not the only one that has heard the nickname Thuggins. It also seems im not the only one that can take an unbiased look at the stats and see Coach Huggins' tournament situation up to this point in his career. Why no rude/degrading slang terms for any of them? I suppose im the only one that is worthy of such labeling from you guys.

Thanks for showing what WVU homers you really are and showing your class as posters as well. So much for intelligent conversation I suppose. The way you treat posters, mainly me, on this thread shows that maybe you arent that far removed from Bob Huggins. Makes since that you'd have such a stong reaction to someone talking about those character issues, since they may hit a little too close to home for you guys.

What was intended to be an informative debate, including facts and statistics, articles, etc, you've managed to turn it into a mud slinging contest with people from your own area and on your own local board. Thanks again!

My dear little friend in southwest va. I am terrible sorry for using the term Grungy in my post. Heres an idea, let it go, quit posting responses to this thread, and let it die. My goodness the way you keep going on and on you must be related to fieldgeneral (no offense mr. general) Did you even read my post and just see the Grungy at the end of it becuase that is all that you have responded to. I am a WVU fan, I bleed Blue and Gold. I support them win or lose, throw the remote at the TV, and usually am a jerk to my kids and girlfriend if they are around and we are losing. With that being said i have posted several things about thugs from wvu and the fullmer rankings. Ask GMAN he will verify this or do a search and you will see. I have even used the term Huggies Thuggies before. So maybe you should do a little research yourself and read some of my posts before you start mouthing off. Will I defend my coach and team, absolutely. I do not particularly care for Tech or UVA for that matter but I dont think I have ever run my mouth on here about them, their fans, or their coach. If you do so, expect retaliation. As I said earlier, Coach Huggins has in the past and maybe in the future will recruits kids with questionalbe character. Correct me if Im wrong, it hasnt happened at WV yet. I havent heard of any of his recruits being in trouble. Perhaps, he has a tight leash on him, I dont know. As for his graduation rate, many of his recruits have gone on to the NBA early, does that mean its bad. Well it definely causes his graduation rate to go down. I hate the NBA rule saying you got to be out of high school one year before going pro, I think it is hurting college basketball. If I could have gone to work at IBM and made 3 millions straight out of high school I would have never gone to college. But that is another thread. So Mr. Grundy my guess is it is up to you as to how long this thread last. Keep posting and Im sure somebody will respond, not me, I am done with this moronic thread. WVU has had a lot of success in both basketball and football, and dont even think you can out shoot us, cause we can shoot a bee off a wall at 100 yards just like Jethro Bodine. If your team hasnt enjoyed that success, I am sorry. Either learn to deal with it, or get a new team. Have a nice day. the_truth

My dear little friend in southwest va. I am terrible sorry for using the term Grungy in my post. Heres an idea, let it go, quit posting responses to this thread, and let it die. My goodness the way you keep going on and on you must be related to fieldgeneral (no offense mr. general) Did you even read my post and just see the Grungy at the end of it becuase that is all that you have responded to. I am a WVU fan, I bleed Blue and Gold. I support them win or lose, throw the remote at the TV, and usually am a jerk to my kids and girlfriend if they are around and we are losing. With that being said i have posted several things about thugs from wvu and the fullmer rankings. Ask GMAN he will verify this or do a search and you will see. I have even used the term Huggies Thuggies before. So maybe you should do a little research yourself and read some of my posts before you start mouthing off. Will I defend my coach and team, absolutely. I do not particularly care for Tech or UVA for that matter but I dont think I have ever run my mouth on here about them, their fans, or their coach. If you do so, expect retaliation. As I said earlier, Coach Huggins has in the past and maybe in the future will recruits kids with questionalbe character. Correct me if Im wrong, it hasnt happened at WV yet. I havent heard of any of his recruits being in trouble. Perhaps, he has a tight leash on him, I dont know. As for his graduation rate, many of his recruits have gone on to the NBA early, does that mean its bad. Well it definely causes his graduation rate to go down. I hate the NBA rule saying you got to be out of high school one year before going pro, I think it is hurting college basketball. If I could have gone to work at IBM and made 3 millions straight out of high school I would have never gone to college. But that is another thread. So Mr. Grundy my guess is it is up to you as to how long this thread last. Keep posting and Im sure somebody will respond, not me, I am done with this moronic thread. WVU has had a lot of success in both basketball and football, and dont even think you can out shoot us, cause we can shoot a bee off a wall at 100 yards just like Jethro Bodine. If your team hasnt enjoyed that success, I am sorry. Either learn to deal with it, or get a new team. Have a nice day. the_truth

Hahaha, why should he quit posting? He brought up a good point that Huggins doesn't have a good track record in the NCAA tourney [feel free to insert a Greenberg comment here]. There still hasn't been a legitimate argument against his point. All JJ and Truth have done is become extremely angry at the "Thuggins" comment. Sorry JJ and Truth, you two should quit posting and 'let it die' as Truth wants to put it.

Hahaha, why should he quit posting? He brought up a good point that Huggins doesn't have a good track record in the NCAA tourney [feel free to insert a Greenberg comment here]. There still hasn't been a legitimate argument against his point. All JJ and Truth have done is become extremely angry at the "Thuggins" comment. Sorry JJ and Truth, you two should quit posting and 'let it die' as Truth wants to put it.

I tend to agree.

i dont think you will have to be concerned about wvu basketball and coach huggins he is asuper recruiter and has a great group of new players coming in next year..as for the reference to coach as thuggins, that reputation is purely not deserved.

Guest JJBrickface

Haha, like I said lets talk basketball without the Thuggins comments. I used the term "Grungy" to show you exactly my point. You obviously took it personally.

Yes, I didn't type out the question exactly the same. I meant how many have made the final four more that one time. Its a legitimate question.

Still waiting on an intelligent answer.

The post is about football season, granted it was posted in response to wvu's loss.

Anyway, don't be so touchy. If you make a remark about a team or coach that obviously has a faithful fan base, then be prepared to get the mud thrown back at you. Whether you wanted to make this an "informative" post or not, it went null when you threw the term "thuggins" out there.

I agree that he has a lot to prove in the big tournament, but he is matching x's and o's with the the best conference in America and a few of the best coaches. Talk to Bobby Knight and ask what he thinks of Huggs.

Mr. truth.....come on that's funny the_truth. Don't bring me into "ya'll's" pissing party. That's a low shot coming from you up there on that hill.

Anyway, who cares what kind of talent he brings in. As a coach, it's partly your job to mold these "thugs" into good young men who will one day be a decent citizen. Teach them how to be a man and live in this world w/o the dumbass things that some find important. If they leave early to get "paid," then so be it. It hurts his grad rate sure, but it also gives a chance to some kids who would otherwise contribute to the crime rate in the world or the mortality rate.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Umm, just off the top of my head, it means you can win consistently. I mean you have to go to the Final Four to win NC's, and that should be the goal.

Off the top of my head, Roy Williams, Coach K, Jim Calhoun, Jim Boeheim, Ben Howland, Rick Pitino, Billy Donovan, and thats just from the recent past. Im sure there are more.

But why does this matter? Huggins is 15-14 in the past 15 years in the NCAA tournament, it speaks for itself.

Guest JJBrickface
Umm, just off the top of my head, it means you can win consistently. I mean you have to go to the Final Four to win NC's, and that should be the goal.

Off the top of my head, Roy Williams, Coach K, Jim Calhoun, Jim Boeheim, Ben Howland, Rick Pitino, Billy Donovan, and thats just from the recent past. Im sure there are more.

But why does this matter? Huggins is 15-14 in the past 15 years in the NCAA tournament, it speaks for itself.

It matters because the NCAA tournament has that allure of any team losing at any time. That's why we watch it. My point is that its difficult to win int he NCAA tourney and that you have to have a little luck on your side. Bob Huggins hasn't had that. Take Kenyon Martins injury or the Jarrod West three point bank shot prayer in 97-98 that sent the Bearcats home. Last year he took his team to the sweet 16 and was just a few free throws away from the elite 8.

Also out of those names you mentioned above, I know that at least 3 of them have had first round exits in the NCAA tournament before. That is the allure of the NCAA tournament.