Is it too early to start talking football?

futbolking

Yeah, they have a solid RB back this season but the WRs/TEs didn't have that many catches, or even attempts. It really doesn't matter how much experience the QB has, if he can't get the ball to the TE or Wing then he doesn't need to be the QB. Each year you have to develop your backups, next seasons starters. From what I saw Galax didn't do that and I think they may struggle(especially early) because of it. Dixon will have a good season IF they can develop a passing game, he's not Peoples and he won't be able to carry them. Maybe they will come out and be world beaters but I doubt it. IMO they will have some growing pains.

Anyone know their passing stats from last season?

Everybody said the Galax basketball team could never recover from losing two 30 point per game scorers in Scott Alouf and Cameron Frazier a few years ago.  They won back to back state championships!  I have seen programs fall apart after losing a talent like that but I have also seen it galvanize the kids who were overlooked.  

We shall see!

Passing stats were non-existent.  I think they averaged 36 YPG for the season and had more interceptions than completions.  The starting QB was a freshman and was never supposed to play varsity last season.  The starter was ruled ineligible for the season a week before the first game.  It was appealed and he was reinstated by the VHSL but it was too late for football.  He went on to win the individual and team state championships in cross country and was the basketball teams leading scorer and a first team all state selection.  He transferred from Floyd following his sophomore year in 2012-2013.  The confusion began, as I understand it, when this kid and his mom came to Galax to live in rental housing while his dad stayed behind in Floyd awaiting the selling of the family home.  Floyd administration notified the VHSL just before the beginning of football season that the family home was still in Floyd and he was immediately ruled ineligible.  I seem to remember an article in the Roanoke Times toward the end of basketball season detailing a lot of this.

Weird situation for sure. Hate that the young man lost the season.

If the passing game using going to be any more effective than that they would have been better off putting a WR at QB, at least then they could have ran effective bootlegs and QB keepers.

So will last years starter or the transfer be the starter this season?

I'm not really sure what will happen at QB.  He split time at QB in Floyd as a sophomore.  The situation was botched at best, not only by the VHSL but Galax and Floyd administrations as well.  He was not allowed to play football but was allowed to run XC.  It never really made a lot of sense.  He had never ran XC before but he is an exceptional athlete and fast learner.  His times dropped by huge chuncks each and every time he ran.  By seasons end, he was dominant, winning his last 5 or 6 races by large margins.  His times in regional and state meets were on par with major D1 signees.  I would like to see him stick with XC if it means major D1 opportunities.  He may very well be Galax best option at QB but he would not play football at the next level no matter the position.

Unfortunately, the freshman was the better option at QB last season.  The real trouble spot was at WR.  Nobody dependable at that position since the state runner-up team.  The best WR's in the school all play basketball.  If you watch some of the film, a significant amount of interceptions were from WR not coming back for the football.  If you wait for the ball to get to you, you will be separated from the ball more often than not.  With some kids coming to the varsity level, the coaching staff feel like that may be a bright spot this season.  We shall see. 

Lets not forget, Galax has a few more Peoples kids coming through the ranks really soon!

I think Graham had a lot of key losses ... Who knows until practice starts....I guess it's wait and see with Graham this year.....    Regardless of who shows up to practice, the big need at Graham will be speed at the skill positions....Every team they played that had a hint of speed last season gave them fits.  

Never too early to start talking about football even though I love summer and hate cold weather. For right now In West Virginia AA I can see Bridgeport, Wayne, and Bluefield being your favorites again and I know they'll be those few other teams that will make some noise. Just not sure who. In SWVA, I can see Richlands being the team to beat once again in their district. Don't know much about what Graham and the MED has coming back.

• 2 weeks later...

Never to early! Not sure how every thing is going to pan out come this fall, but I do know the boys at Tazewell have gotten bigger over this winter and into summer! Hope they can pick back up where they left off last season! Only lost 4 or 5 to graduation and have 15 or 17 returning Jr's!

All I have heard about Graham is that they are in trouble. In my honest opinion graham will be lucky to get 3 wins this year. I believe Tazewell will shock a lot of people this year, they just have to beat Richlands which is easier said than done. Bluefield is Bluefield. They don't rebuild they reload. If they beat Wayne then they are looking at another trophy to add to their many already.

All I have heard about Graham is that they are in trouble. In my honest opinion graham will be lucky to get 3 wins this year. I believe Tazewell will shock a lot of people this year, they just have to beat Richlands which is easier said than done. Bluefield is Bluefield. They don't rebuild they reload. If they beat Wayne then they are looking at another trophy to add to their many already.

Heard Richlands had a kid from Graham this year and he is currently participating in 7on 7's.  Can anyone verify?

Virginia High will probably be down this year; losing Brown, Kiser, several other starters on both sides of the ball. Ivan Moore (JR QB, who was replaced by Kiser) will be back of course, but he may not start as the JV guy is supposed to be pretty good. No idea how we'll replace Justin Brown. On the bright side, most of the offensive line is dominated by will-be 3-year starters

• 2 weeks later...

how did Richlands land one of Graham's best players?

Like father, like son...his dad did the same back in the 80's, went from Graham to Tazewell to play for a better team.

It is what it is, no hard feelings, not completely unexpected...

For the record, I know for a fact that this decision was completely the young mans and not his father's.  He decided he was wasting his talents with the coaching philosophy of Graham's illustrious leader.  This seems to be becoming an all too familiar theme with some young men associated with the Graham program.  IMO, I think he is way too concerned with making changes to the legacy and traditions of the program instead of making changes to his offensive and defensive philosophies to accommodate a new age of football and the athletic styles of his players.  There should be no hard feelings for a young man who feels he has hit a wall put up by his coach and wants to better himself athletically.  With that being said, I DO still get a little disappointed with the lack of loyalty to a school but, I understand that often times an athletic coach can make all the difference in the world to an athlete.

I have been hearing a lot of rumblings coming from eastern Wythe County lately.  It appears the majority of Fort Chiswell's returning talent has transferred to Pulaski.

I heard that at least one went to Giles.  Not surprised by this...

Like father, like son...his dad did the same back in the 80's, went from Graham to Tazewell to play for a better team.

It is what it is, no hard feelings, not completely unexpected...

That worked out wellfor him as I recall, Graham won the state title his senior season....