Richlands @ Marion

Ryan4VT

Hell, even our graduated running back is still doing work for us according to the Roanoke Times. 

No. 6 RICHLANDS (8-3) at No. 3 MARION (10-1)

Friday, 7 p.m.

Coaches: Richlands, Greg Mance; Marion, Joey Carroll.

Season summaries: Richlands started 0-2 with losses to Gate City (28-17) and Union (29-28). Highlights were wins over Lord Botetourt (21-14) and Bluefield, W.Va., (28-14) before a late loss to Abingdon (37-23). Marion beat six playoff teams including 3A Abingdon (28-21) with the lone loss coming in Week 2 to Northwood (36-13) when several players were suspended.

Richlands statistics: RB Griffin McCauley (101-871, 8 TDs); QB River Michaels (11 of 12 for 172 yards, 2 rushing TDs last week, 17 TDs on the season); RB Colton Staten (21-188 rushing last week).

Marion statistics: RB Sam Wagner (214-1,806 rushing, 23 TDs, 46 PATs, 187 points, 14 TFLs); QB Hunter Lefler (132 for 183 passing, 1,921 yards, 21 TDs, 6 INTs; 65-348 rushing, 8 TDs); WR Riley Blevins (48-731, 8 TDs), WR Erin Garrison (41-682, 9 TDs).

Last week: Richlands defeated Lebanon 42-7 at home. Marion defeated Chatham 40-21 at home.

Next week: The winner plays either No. 2 Gate City or No. 7 Buckingham County.

Noteworthy: Mance is a Giles native who took Richlands to four state finals and three semifinals between 2004-10, winning the Division 3 title over Rockbridge County in 2006. The only time Marion has won two playoff games in the same season was in 2001 when the Scarlet Hurricane lost to Pulaski County in the Region IV Division 4 final.

Prediction: Marion 32, Richlands 28.

Richlands (8-3) at Marion (10-1)

Friday, 7 p.m.

Last meeting: Richlands 24, Marion 14 (Oct. 5, 2012 in Richlands, Va.)

At least one team from far Southwest Virginia will be playing in next week’s state quarterfinals as Marion clashes with Richlands in a battle of old Southwest District foes. … Since 1966, Richlands holds a 25-11-1 edge in this on-again, off-again series. … Among some of the memorable meetings: Marion’s 2-0 victory in 1975 (Marion went 8-1-1 that season, while Richlands was 8-2 and neither made the playoffs) and Richlands’ 38-35 double-overtime triumph in 1992. … Richlands eliminated Marion from the playoffs in 2007 and 2009, while the Scarlet Hurricanes did the same to Richlands in 2001. … Senior running back Sam Wagner has spearheaded a balanced attack for Marion. He has 23 touchdowns, 187 points, 1,806 rushing yards, 111 receiving yards and 56 tackles (14 for loss). … Quarterback Hunter Lefler has completed 72.1 percent of his passes for 1,921 yards and 21 touchdowns, while Erin Garrison leads the team with 73 tackles. … Since a Week 2 loss to Northwood, Marion has won nine straight. … Zeke Vance, River Michaels and Griffin McCauley have been the catalysts for Richlands. The Blue Tornado put up 303 yards of total offense in last week’s 42-7 first-round victory over Lebanon. … It’s easy to appreciate what head coach Greg Mance has built at Richlands. The Blue Tornado is in the playoffs for the 14th straight year and has won at least eight games in 11 consecutive seasons. … The winner will play either Gate City or Buckingham County in the 2A quarterfinals. … Tonight’s showdown has the makings of a classic.

Prediction: Marion 29, Richlands 28

Well,  I couldn't make it over to Marion tonight so I want to say hi to all my Richlands friends that made the trip over.  I hope you all have had a safe and fun trip,  and please yell and make a little extra noise for me !  For all my Marion friends on here,  I want to wish you luck ( although not too much...lol )  and hope it is a great game like it has the potential to be.  Please have a safe trip to and from the game and I hope both teams come out of it with no major injuries !

Go Big Blue !

Congrats Richlands! I second Canes comment, you guys took it to us tonight! I hate that I missed Razor and Ryan tonight but I did get to see mv91. It was nice chatting with you again bud. I'm still proud of my Canes on a good season. It's been fun watching this team with the offense they've had. Best of luck to Richlands next week!

The biggest statement for me is the fact that before we put our JV defense in for Marion's last drive, Wagner had 19 yards. Our D played lights out last night. Even with Wagner getting 79 total yards, the Marion rushing total was just 38 yards. So proud of that defense. I really think the interception on the first play was huge. After Richlands went down and scored, you could see the Marion players body language change.

Congrats to Marion on a great season! Nothing to hang your head at. Those boys played hard until the final whistle. Glad I got to chat with Canes and 2dalejrfanz. Always enjoy talking to those two guys. Sucks Hurricane got stuck at work and was late.