GC 81 Wise Central 42

Great City

What a show tonight. GC could’ve hung 100+ if the starters weren’t pulled after the 3rd. Great playoff atmosphere tonight in the Devils Den. Mac McClung became the all-time leading scorer in Gate City HS history. McClung’s 37 tonight put him at 1,796 points. He surpassed Darwin Pippen, who tallied 1,791 points from 1965-1968. Ervin added 23 and Dean with 11. Noe, Compton, George, Hicks, and Vermillion each added 2 a-piece.

8 hours ago, Weatherman said:

How do you think Gate City would fair against local college teams like Emory and Henry and UVA-Wise?   

Please don’t do this.

They’d get smashed.  E&H is a pretty darned good team in the ODAC (7-0), and UVA-Wise is D2 and isn’t chopped liver there, either (5-6).  The sheer depth and experience disparity alone would choke Gate City.  Not saying McClung and Ervin wouldn’t give great accounts of themselves, but basketball is a team game, and there’s a steep drop off after #2...

57 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Please don’t do this.

They’d get smashed.  E&H is a pretty darned good team in the ODAC (7-0), and UVA-Wise is D2 and isn’t chopped liver there, either (5-6).  The sheer depth and experience disparity alone would choke Gate City.  Not saying McClung and Ervin wouldn’t give great accounts of themselves, but basketball is a team game, and there’s a steep drop off after #2...

This. Could not have said this any better. 

Once GC sees some good competition in the Arby's SWVA and the rest of the state of VA will know just how good GC is. They should be the favorite to win the 2A championship IMO though. 

1 hour ago, Dick_Vitale said:

This. Could not have said this any better. 

Once GC sees some good competition in the Arby's SWVA and the rest of the state of VA will know just how good GC is. They should be the favorite to win the 2A championship IMO though. 

That’s why GC does it. Good test coming next Tuesday vs Daniel Boone. Not sure if Daniel Boone is as tough as last season. But 2 of their 3 losses are against 2 top teams in TN in Unicoi Co and Mo East. Then the other loss is to rival David Crockett. GC will have to play 4 quarters come Tuesday. 

14 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

That’s why GC does it. Good test coming next Tuesday vs Daniel Boone. Not sure if Daniel Boone is as tough as last season. But 2 of their 3 losses are against 2 top teams in TN in Unicoi Co and Mo East. Then the other loss is to rival David Crockett. GC will have to play 4 quarters come Tuesday. 

I realize this as does most posters with a brain on this forum. C40 boys cannot match up with GC at all. GC will beat Union by 20+ and they are probably the 2nd best team come mid Feb. I know Vermillion is to beef the schedule up but the thing is come late January-early Feb, competition is weak and that is when teams should be preparing to peak. I see they are playing Cleveland Tennessee (i know nothing about them but assume they are good?) and Pulaski Co late in the season. Good move IMO. GC cannot help what conference/district they are in. What they can help is out of conference schedule and I think they did a magnificent job getting quality competition to play. 

I hope GC finally gets to hoist the trophy in Richmond in March! 

3 hours ago, Dick_Vitale said:

I realize this as does most posters with a brain on this forum. C40 boys cannot match up with GC at all. GC will beat Union by 20+ and they are probably the 2nd best team come mid Feb. I know Vermillion is to beef the schedule up but the thing is come late January-early Feb, competition is weak and that is when teams should be preparing to peak. I see they are playing Cleveland Tennessee (i know nothing about them but assume they are good?) and Pulaski Co late in the season. Good move IMO. GC cannot help what conference/district they are in. What they can help is out of conference schedule and I think they did a magnificent job getting quality competition to play. 

I hope GC finally gets to hoist the trophy in Richmond in March! 

I don't think that's true as a general rule, only the last couple years bc of McClung and to a lesser extent Ervin. A team led by Ervin may still be best in the district but it wouldn't be easy. McClung is a special talent, it's unreasonable to expect GC to have this type of team on the average. 

8 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I don't think that's true as a general rule, only the last couple years bc of McClung and to a lesser extent Ervin. A team led by Ervin may still be best in the district but it wouldn't be easy. McClung is a special talent, it's unreasonable to expect GC to have this type of team on the average. 

What general rule are you speaking of? 

3 hours ago, Dick_Vitale said:

I never said they are ALWAYS better in years past but this year, yeah they are. Maybe even 25 if you are feeling extra good. 

I think they are 30+ points better this year, but I think this is a special group for GC and they should not take this run for granted, similar to Union football.