Sign in to follow this  
Bearcat Dad

An early look into the 2018 season

7 posts in this topic

I'm glad to be back on the site after a little break following a great football season in SWVA. Congrats to all of the teams who had success and good luck to everyone next season. Hopefully any kid who was injured, has healed or is close to being 100% by now.

It was pretty awesome to have my son recognized as one of the top players in 2A. We're definitely looking forward to the fall of 2018.

In the meantime, he is heading into his Junior season and 3rd year as a starter for the VHS baseball team. If they stay healthy, VHS could possibly rival the 2014 and 2015 State Championship winning teams. They should actually be deeper than both of those teams (even without a handful of transfers 😂). In all seriousness, the 2014 team wins State even without their Honaker transfer. I probably can't say the same about 2015, but I digress lol.

Here in Bristol, we knew years ago, that we had a great run of homegrown talent starting with the 2013 team, thru the 2019 team. 2013 choked against GC in Regionals. We all know about 2014 and 2015. 2016 blew a late lead against Goochland with with a 4 error, 5th inning in the State-semis. 2017 was upset (but straight up beaten) by the eventual State runner-ups. 2018 has great talent and great chemistry. I'll say again, that if this group stays focused, they have a potentially special season ahead of them.

For anyone who isn't very involved in basketball (or anyone at all, really) who would like to share some info/insight on their team(s) for the upcoming season, please feel free. 

I don't know much about high school baseball, I just know Ridgeview has not done particularly well their first two seasons.  With Abingdon coming into the M7 this year, I expect them to be the Gate City basketball equivalent in the district, with noone even remotely in their league, other than perhaps Battle?

Does Virginia High play Abingdon?  That may be a fun one to go watch.

I am kind of interested in softball though.  Ridgeview was leading the district with two weeks to play last season and went on a 4 game losing streak to close out the regular season, then bowed out in the first round of the district tournament.

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I don't know much about high school baseball, I just know Ridgeview has not done particularly well their first two seasons.  With Abingdon coming into the M7 this year, I expect them to be the Gate City basketball equivalent in the district, with noone even remotely in their league, other than perhaps Battle?

Does Virginia High play Abingdon?  That may be a fun one to go watch.

I am kind of interested in softball though.  Ridgeview was leading the district with two weeks to play last season and went on a 4 game losing streak to close out the regular season, then bowed out in the first round of the district tournament.

VHS and Abingdon usually play twice a year. Last year they played 3 times with Abingdon winning twice. Three games over the last 2 seasons have come down to the final at-bat. It is a great rivalry.

Battle could possibly take a step back this season with graduation losses. They have a new coach, that i grew up with, who will get the most out of them. They do have a pitcher or two that could keep them in games with Abingdon.

VHS struggled some in softball last year but they were very young. They should be more competitive this season.

On 1/5/2018 at 10:37 AM, Bearcat Dad said:

VHS and Abingdon usually play twice a year. Last year they played 3 times with Abingdon winning twice. Three games over the last 2 seasons have come down to the final at-bat. It is a great rivalry.

Battle could possibly take a step back this season with graduation losses. They have a new coach, that i grew up with, who will get the most out of them. They do have a pitcher or two that could keep them in games with Abingdon.

VHS struggled some in softball last year but they were very young. They should be more competitive this season.

The region will be chasing Richlands for the next 3 years most likely. They started 7 freshmen and a sophomore last year and went to the state finals. 

As that group ages, they’ll be scary to deal with. 

19 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

The region will be chasing Richlands for the next 3 years most likely. They started 7 freshmen and a sophomore last year and went to the state finals. 

As that group ages, they’ll be scary to deal with. 

Yeah, the girls from Richlands definitely have an opportunity to be special.

Actually I have noticed as girls get older they tend to get worse in sports. Either burnt out from parents pushing them travel when they were young, finding boys, having social lives, or just lose interest as they mature...

1 hour ago, Blue_Crue said:

Actually I have noticed as girls get older they tend to get worse in sports. Either burnt out from parents pushing them travel when they were young, finding boys, having social lives, or just lose interest as they mature...

To be honest with you, we are seeing a little of that with our girls basketball team at VHS this season. 

Two seasons ago, our girls team had nearly a 20 win turnaround from the season before that, led by our "Big 3" who were Freshmen at the time. They won the conference, their coach won "Coach of the Year", they won at Viking Hall for the first time in 15 years, and lost a close game in the 2nd or 3rd round to Union, I believe it was. We thought by this year, they would be ready to make a run at State.

They have started the year at 3-6. Granted, they've had a brutal schedule to start the season with 2 losses coming to Abingdon, 1 to Tn. High, and 2 at a tournament at Hilton Head against teams from Florida(one of which had a UCONN commit). I know there is still a lot of ball to be played, but 2 of the "Big 3" have really struggled so far this season. 

I do know that our "Big 3" plays travel year round with the core group from Abingdon. My son is dating the one girl of the "Big 3" that has played well this season. I talked to her after their game against Marion on Tuesday night, in which she scored 31, and she mentioned that some of the girls are suffering from burnout.