Top Ten Heavyweights in SWD in the last 15 years

old_school_blue

1. Luke Owens- Grundy- Edges Albert by a hair..He was a Jr. National Freestyle Champion.

2. Albert Childress- Grundy- Winningest wrestler in Grundy's rich history.

3. Laddie Fields- Grundy- Tough HVWT. Won state in 92.

4. Tim McGlothlin- Grundy- He placed 2nd in 88.

5. Jamie Stiltner- Grundy- Placed 2nd in the state in 90.

5. Chad Deel- Grundy- Was a decent HVWT, placed 3rd in 94. Was beat out by a Freshman his Senior year by the name of Luke Owens.

I got all of that from Grundy's website, and now I will go by memory from 93 up.

6. Some kid from Richlands, cant remember his name. graduated around Luke's time was an alright heavyweight, but could never beat Luke. Dad and myself were talking about him a while back, Grundy was wrestling at Richlands and the crowd was chanting this kids name, and Luke ended up pinning him.

7. Britton Williams- Graham- Pretty good HVWT. Always got picked on by Albert though.

8. Bryan Looney- Grundy- Pretty Tough wrestler. Did good the year Grundy lost state in 89. Didn't place in state though. He ended up cutting to 215 the next year, Albert's Freshman year.

9. Doesn't Tazewell have a pretty tough Heavyweight this year?

10. Lundy from CC, I think he wrestled HVWT?

The last 5 are off of the top of my head, and oh yeah, I would love to see a match between Luke and Albert.

1. Albert Childress-Grundy, sorry I think that he is a hair better than Luke!!!!!....

2. Luke Owens

3. Laddie Fields- Grundy- Tough HVWT. Won state in 92.

4. Chris Austin-Graham-Finished 2nd in State to Laddie Fields.

5. Tim McGlothlin- Grundy- He placed 2nd in 88.

6. Jamie Stiltner- Grundy- Placed 2nd in the state in 90.

7. Chad Deel- Grundy-

8. Some kid from Richlands, cant remember his name. graduated around Luke's time was an alright heavyweight, but could never beat Luke. Dad and myself were talking about him a while back, Grundy was wrestling at Richlands and the crowd was chanting this kids name, and Luke ended up pinning him.-I know who you're talking about....but I can't remember his name either.....

9. Britton Williams- Graham

10. Jamie Shelton-Richlands

Didnt Virginia High have a very good wrestler at heavyweight (it may have been before '90) i want to say his name was Tarus Williams (i think)....(sorry for ignorance...i dont know much about wrestling lol)

I Graduated with Jamie Shelton,I've known him all my life.Hes a very humble guy and for him to beat Britton his senior year was great.Chris Berry was the heavyweight before Jamie thats when he wrestled his 8thgrade year @ 215

Im pretty sure Tarus from VHS wrestled 215. It may have been 189 but I think it was 215.If anyone is at VHS anytime soon you can find out what he wrestled for sure because there is a large plaque in the trophy case that was put there after he was killed. I know He won state one year, I think it was in the early 1990s if Im not mistaken. My knowledge of Virginia High wrestling isnt that extensive. I havent really followed it that much until the last 4 or 5 years.

Albert and Luke are very very close, I was about 9 or 10 when Luke wrestled, and I remember his dominance. You take away a loss to the kid that won state that year in the first round, I think he could have been a 4 timer. But speaking of best matches, the one between Albert and E.G. McDaniel at state Albert's Freshman year..That was a match that you dream of wrestling.

The kid I am talking about, he looked a lot like the LB off of the replacements..They were chanting his nickname before the match started. They might have called it a DQ because the kid didn't want to get hurt and get screwed out of a football scholarship.

If the guy from V-High wrestled back in the day, he would have most likely wrestled 186 or HVWT...there were no 189 or 215 classes back then.

Guest old_school

Stephan Holloway was Tazewells best heavy weight that I can remember.

I think

1. Luke Owens- but just barely just seems like I rem. him being slightly better than #2

2. Albert Childress

3. Probably Laddy

The heavyweight that everyone is wondering about from Richlands that wrestled Luke with everyone chanting his name was Elliot Big E Joyce I was a member of that team. I think that he was good but the heavy weight the year after Chris Berry just wrestled one year and I think he would have beat Big E.

Since we are talking about dream matches remember the guy who wrestled for Vestavia Hills Alabama that beat Albert two or three times at the Agie Skeens I just remember he had red hair I would have like to seen him and Luke or him and Albert during Alberts senior year best I can remember he was the #1 heavyweight in the country his senior year too.

Tauraus was a 215 in the Highlands district when he won state. I do not mean to seem insensitive but does anyone else remember hearing that Tauraus is deceased I thought I heard that he was shot in Roanoke or Bluefield one.

Luke got pinned in two first day matches at the '95 State tourney by Dan Baker (Salem) placed fifth and Nathan Cumbee (Blacksburg) DNP. The State Champ was from Culpeper. There have been some teriffic HWT's from Richlands, but I think Mitchell was the last to place in State.

Here's my top 4...you can fill in the rest from there on down.

1- Albert Childress - wasn't he the first 4 time hvywt champ at Grundy? Probably had the greatest victory in Grundy history to win them their last state title. Very dramatic ending to what could be the end of an era in Grundy wrestling.

2- Luke Owens - only #2 because Albert has got to be #1

3- Laddy Fields - I grew up with Laddy, not only was he a great wrestler, but a great person and a class act as well. He's my friend so I have to put him at #3.

4- Tim McGlothlin - Glob...what can you say about Glob? The man got hit by a truck and got up and walked away and refused to go to the hospital...lol...I felt sorry for the truck. You had to know Glob to fully appreciate him...I graduated with him and he's why I never wrestled after 9th grade...there was no point, he was way better than I was ever going to be.

Albert was the first Heavyweight 4 timer in the state and I think I remember hearing that he was the first public school too...I think he ended with the most wins ever in Virginia or at least AA in any weight class.

I think Albert only lost around 7 matches? He was for sure the only wrestler to win state 4 times at the same weight, and also was the first Freshman to win it at the HVWT weight class. He was awesome, he was naturally strong, never really had to work out..I heard a story about him working out with one of the coaches, started out doing 225, 10 times, and it went down to 1 or 2 on the last set...lol...But you couldn't ask for a better person, always volunteered his time to help out.

The reason why I put Luke at number 1, is because I don't think he lost a match those last 3 years. He was also the outstanding wrestler as a B-teamer at the Agies. He ended up pinning Chad Deel in the finals I believe. Both of these guys had a storybook career at Grundy.