Region IV Tournaments (pairings and results)...

GMan

Highlands Tournament at Virginia High

Semifinal Round:

Marion (11-11) 40 Lee (12-11) 39

Abingdon (21-2) 58 Virginia (9-14) 48

Championship:

Abingdon (22-2) 63 Marion (11-12) 37

Piedmont Tournament at Bassett

Quarterfinal Round...Tuesday, Feb. 15th:

Bassett (10-10) 105 Patrick Co. (4-18) 60

Magna Vista (6-11) 79 Dan River (3-16) 46

Semifinal Round...Thursday, Feb. 17th:

Martinsville (19-2) 48 Magna Vista (6-12) 46

Tunstall (15-6) 82 Bassett (10-11) 76

Championship...Saturday, Feb. 19th:

Martinsville (20-2) 73 Tunstall (15-7) 70

Southwest Tournament at Grundy

Semifinal Round:

Tazewell (11-13) 75 Graham (11-12) 63

Grundy (15-10) 64 Carroll Co. (10-15) 54

Championship:

Tazewell (12-13) 67 Grundy (15-11) 60

Region IV Tournament

Quarterfinals:

Tunstall (16-7) 92 Tazewell (12-14) 57

Martinsville (21-2) 90 Marion (11-13) 51

Semifinals:

Abingdon (23-2) 66 Tunstall (16-8) 64

Martinsville (22-2) 91 Grundy (15-12) 51

Championship:

Martinsville (23-2) 64 Abingdon (23-3) 48

Abingdon has been the dominant team in the area this year by a pretty good margin, except last Friday grin.gif. Does anyone know what Martinsville has? Can Abingdon take them?

Also, it looked to me like the Highlands runner up would have to go to Martinsville and Grundy would have to come to the Highlands winner which will probably be Abingdon

[ QUOTE ]

Abingdon has been the dominant team in the area this year by a pretty good margin, except last Friday grin.gif. Does anyone know what Martinsville has? Can Abingdon take them?

Also, it looked to me like the Highlands runner up would have to go to Martinsville and Grundy would have to come to the Highlands winner which will probably be Abingdon

[/ QUOTE ]

Y'all must be "slo larners" down in Bristol...oh, no, I forgot, you folks aren't used to this post-season fun in any sport other than baseball.

No Highlands or Southwest team has a shot of beating Martinsville...PERIOD! And it is very likely that Tunstall (the likely #2 team out of the Piedmont) is better than all the other teams in SWVA with Abingdon being the only team that MIGHT have a chance against them (and only because, if they play, it will be in Abingdon).

Here is how the Regional Tournament will be paired...

Bracket 1:

Piedmont Runner-Up (likely Tunstall) vs. Southwest Runner-Up (Tazewell/Graham/Carroll Co.). The winner of this game will play the Highlands Champion (Abingdon).

Bracket 2:

Highlands Runner-Up (Lee/Marion/Virginia) vs. Piedmont Champion (Martinsville). The winner of this game will play the Southwest Champion (Grundy).

The winners of each bracket will play for the Region Championship. The Region Champion will host the State Quarterfinal game against the Runner-Up of Region III. The loser of the Region Championship game will travel to play at the Region III Champion in the State Quarterfinals.

I don't know a lot about Virginia High School basketball, but I do know enough to know that Martinsville is the most dominant basketball team in Virginia on the area covered by this site. No one on the Virginia side that I'm aware of has experienced the success Martinsville has in basketball. Woodrow Wilson of Beckley is easily the most dominant program in both states of the area covered by this site, more so than even Martinsville.

I ***think*** this is how it will play out...

First round games are played at a neutral site within the district of the host team...for example if Martinsville is hosting Lee, it would be played at Bassett.

The Highlands District will be hosting the Region Semifinals and Finals...likely to be played at Virginia High.

[ QUOTE ]

I do recall that VHS was in the Region 4 football Championship this year. While others were getting ready for basketball to start. blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For the first time...EVER! Like I said, they aren't used to this post-season stuff...

Thank you for coming out of hibernation. It's nice to hear from you too there Gman smile.gif.

If your gonna say we're not used to the post season it doesn't make sense if we were there 2 months ago.

It had been a while, but we'd been there before. I recall seein' a post on here from some richlands guys about them playin' Virginia High in a region game in the late 80's i think.

Is our winnin' botherin' ya? smirk.gif

Bearcat, the 'Dogs have the PD leading scorer in Durron Mitchell(19.1 ppg), plus two other players who are also averaging double figures over the course of the season in Shaquan Beamer(17.4ppg) and Marquis Brandon(11.1 ppg). They also sophomore Victor Hairston who scored a career-high 18 points against MagnaVista in the 'Dogs final regular season game and 6'-5" Mike Reid who held his own against Franklin County's 6-8" Lewis Witcher on the boards earlier this season. But first the 'Dogs have to get by Lee High

School Tuesday, February 22nd in the 'Doghouse. I will post directions to the 'Doghouse on Virginia Preps on the AA board.

I think Martinsville lost to Franklin Co. and either G.W. Danville or Patrick Henry-Roanoke. Tunstall lost to G.W. Danville three times, Halifax Co. once, and Martinsville twice.